Should we replace/reinstitute draft in the form of social work?

Started by Martinus, August 27, 2011, 07:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

There is an article in this week's the Economist that got me thinking.

Many countries which used to have draft/compulsory military training had an option for conscience objectors to serve it as social workers instead. This would usually involve working in hospitals or homes for the elderly, caring for the sick and the infirm etc.

Now that many countries abandon draft, this is also being phased out. But as a society we are getting older and we need social workers, and there just isn't enough volunteers. Should we require the young to spend 6-12 months as social carers?

Discuss.

Viking

No. Remember the cost to the economy of taking a person out of productive work for a year or two.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zoupa

Quote from: Viking on August 27, 2011, 08:17:52 AM
No. Remember the cost to the economy of taking a person out of productive work for a year or two.

Nobody's productive at 18.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, but drafting them for 2 years only postpones their usefulness even further.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2011, 08:25:38 AM
Mandatory "volunteer" social work is for suckers.

And for pot heads.  We call it "community service".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Zanza

HVC

All that'll do is drive down the need and value of actual social workers with real skills and replace them with people who not only don't want the work but will probably be terrible at it. Do you really want your mom taken care if by some 18 year old idiot who doesn't want to be there?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Richard Hakluyt

I think that what we really need is more participation in the workforce by healthy 50-70 year-olds. But that will need a change of attitudes. A lot of people in their 50s jack their career in because they are sick of the stress and have enough cash. How can we lure some of these folk into having second careers that are very useful whilst being less stressful and less well-paid?

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2011, 07:58:22 AMBut as a society we are getting older and we need social workers, and there just isn't enough volunteers. Should we require the young to spend 6-12 months as social carers?

Ponder, after being drafted as a social carer and dealing with those obtaining benefits, how fast those young people will vote to slash social benefits for the rest* of their lives.

* At least until they approach about 5 years of eligibility for same.

Neil

Probably not.  The modern consensus seems to be that the nanny state can nanny more and more, but you don't owe the state anything more than taxes.  In fact, the state owes you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 09:10:04 AM
I think that what we really need is more participation in the workforce by healthy 50-70 year-olds. But that will need a change of attitudes. A lot of people in their 50s jack their career in because they are sick of the stress and have enough cash. How can we lure some of these folk into having second careers that are very useful whilst being less stressful and less well-paid?
This is what's been happening.  Every single employment report is showing that older people are working it's the 16-25s who are getting shafted.  There's not the jobs, the old aren't retiring and they're expected to do numerous free internships - which is fine if you've got somewhere to stay in London but if not you're screwed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The entire raison d'etre of the US federal government is to transfer wealth from working age people to retirees.  I don't think we need another form of transfer.