Whites now 20 times as wealthy as blacks, Hispanics lose 2/3rds of their wealth

Started by jimmy olsen, August 23, 2011, 05:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

http://www.citylimits.org/multimedia/382/wealth-gap-hits-record-between-whites-minorities
QuoteA report by the Pew Research Center finds that white households' average wealth is 20 times that of black households and 18 times that of Hispanic households - the largest such gap in 25 years when records began- and roughly twice the ratios that had prevailed between these three groups for the two decades prior to the Great Recession that ended in 2009.

Aside from being terrible results in their own right, this is bad, bad, bad for social cohesion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Maybe "they" better get off welfare and quit haning out on the corner.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

What the report doesn't say is that drop from white pipples from 2005 to 2009 was specifically all of Berkut's money.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2011, 05:15:58 AM
Aside from being terrible results in their own right, this is bad, bad, bad for social cohesion.

So you're saying white people should spend more money?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 23, 2011, 05:15:58 AM
How the fuck is this true "now" when the data is from two years ago?   :huh:

This kind of "analysis" is  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ^100000

Two snapshots chosen for no scientifically valid reason does not tell us fuck-all.  The more so when it is data that is old and cryptic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

How does a household make $5,000 a year?  That is one third of the annual income of one person making minimum wage.  The average black household has one third of a person working a minimum wage job?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 08:18:35 AM
Bah it is the median household....

Still.

Your point still stands as that means that less than half of black households are making that amount. I guess most are making 0?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2011, 05:20:40 AM
What the report doesn't say is that drop from white pipples from 2005 to 2009 was specifically all of Berkut's money.

WTF is your deal?

How did I become the sand in your vagina?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 08:14:32 AM
How does a household make $5,000 a year?  That is one third of the annual income of one person making minimum wage.  The average black household has one third of a person working a minimum wage job?
This is net worth, not income.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2011, 08:29:15 AM
This is net worth, not income.

Ah so really it is a measure of home ownership versus debt for lower and middle classes.  I guess this means that over half of Latinos and Blacks rent.

Martinus

I suspect this is more to do with negative equity caused by the real estate bubble burst than with people actually becoming poorer as a result of drop in income.