Whites now 20 times as wealthy as blacks, Hispanics lose 2/3rds of their wealth

Started by jimmy olsen, August 23, 2011, 05:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Nah, I was just impressed that you both made a valid point, and also came up with a fitting analogy to reinforce it.  Therefore, I had to save it.  Who knows how many years will pass before you make a post like that again?

MadImmortalMan

Here's a question. How far skewed does the rental market have to be before paying the rent and saving/investing as well is a better plan to get to the point where you have enough money to pay off a property and live rent free over getting a mortgage and paying all that interest and taxes over the same period?

Assuming you can get a decent return on your cash savings.

http://insights.truliablog.com/vis/rent-vs-buy-q3/

These don't take into account the opportunity costs but I think it does taxes. I assume the biggest drawback of buying is the massive interest you pay. But you can't live nowhere, so the rent eats up the same. Unless you live in your parents' basement I guess.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2011, 02:50:57 PM
Here's a question. How far skewed does the rental market have to be before paying the rent and saving/investing as well is a better plan to get to the point where you have enough money to pay off a property and live rent free over getting a mortgage and paying all that interest and taxes over the same period?

Assuming you can get a decent return on your cash savings.

http://insights.truliablog.com/vis/rent-vs-buy-q3/

These don't take into account the opportunity costs but I think it does taxes. I assume the biggest drawback of buying is the massive interest you pay. But you can't live nowhere, so the rent eats up the same. Unless you live in your parents' basement I guess.
Well said.

Razgovory

I feel really sorry for the black guy who is 20 times poorer then I am.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on August 23, 2011, 11:21:56 AM
Renters still get to kill trespassers at will?

Yes.

From what I've seen when I've looked at buying, a straight out mortgage is almost always significantly less than rent.

But....

Renting:

- You pay rent.
- Easy to move. (being in the military, rather important).

Buying:

- You pay mortgage (cheaper).
- You pay for all that maintenance crap.
- Property taxes (we love those in Amerika), and in some places, those are a huge deal.
- Immobile (unless you want to deal with the ass pain of  either selling/moving/landlording).

Until I figure I'll be stuck somewhere for awhile, renting seems the wiser choice.

Ed Anger

QuoteEasy to move. (being in the military, rather important).

I never did get the point of chair force officers buying houses in my area. They are gone in 1-2years and they got stuck with a house they couldn't sell.

I will give you chair force props for being the best people to rent to I ever had.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2011, 05:20:40 AM
What the report doesn't say is that drop from white pipples from 2005 to 2009 was specifically all of Berkut's money.

WTF is your deal?

How did I become the sand in your vagina?

Because you make it so easy sometimes.  :P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2011, 10:36:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 10:27:27 AM
Wait what?  The text you quoted claims that the average white family has 20 times the value of an average black family but that is not what the graph is showing.  These are the median families.  Meh.

No wonder I was initially confused.
He doesn't even provide a link, so I am questioning the validity of this whole thing.  If you google his quote, the only hit is his post.
My mistake

Here's where the graph is from. I forget where I got that blurb.
http://www.citylimits.org/multimedia/382/wealth-gap-hits-record-between-whites-minorities
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 10:40:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2011, 10:31:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 10:30:19 PM
Where the hell is my $113,000?
The most productive members of society have it.  Sorry.  :(

They won't let me be productive.

"They" in this case being you many negative moral, mental, and emotional traits.

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 23, 2011, 10:18:57 AM
It's quite possible that, say, 60% of whites own a property and only 40% of black people. If that was the case then selecting the 50th centile for net worth would be a great way of grossly exaggerating racial differences in wealth.

I'd guess that it's closer to 80% and 20%.