Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2011, 02:22:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 01:15:15 PM
I'm not going to look back, but if I said that, I made a mistake.  I was obviously refering to public education.
That is what you said you were referring to.  It was always clear to me, but your use of the phrase "banning public education in one language" was perhaps unfortunate when you didn't mean banning (which means to make it unlawful), but rather "failure to fund."
Ah, ok, sorry :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2011, 02:50:05 PM
The why of your question is for the consideration of the political process.

I'm asking why even considering it is considered =  :wacko:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 02:44:59 PM
Huh? Why? If some significant minority of the population uses a language other than English or French, what harm is caused by it, or educating kids in it?

Increasing the number of languages used by a country by design?  Oh come now man, your religion even preaches that multiple languages are a curse of God.  That is just a horrible idea on so many levels.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 02:48:48 PM
Anyways, I agree with Malthus.

We must extend bilingual Ukrainian education across the country!

You laugh, but in point of fact, Carl was educated to be bilingual in Ukranian. When he reaches grade school, it will be trilingual in Ukranian, English and French.

Studies show that early training in multiple languages is a good thing for mental development.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 02:51:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 02:44:59 PM
Huh? Why? If some significant minority of the population uses a language other than English or French, what harm is caused by it, or educating kids in it?

Increasing the number of languages used by a country by design?  Oh come now man, your religion even preaches that multiple languages are a curse of God.  That is just a horrible idea on so many levels.

Dude, Babel was a myth. Maybe in Texas use of Biblical mythology to establish current policies is a good idea, but not in the modern world.  :P

Seriously, though, there is nothing wrong (and much that is right) with being multi-lingual.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 02:53:49 PM

You laugh, but in point of fact, Carl was educated to be bilingual in Ukranian. When he reaches grade school, it will be trilingual in Ukranian, English and French.

Studies show that early training in multiple languages is a good thing for mental development.

Who is laughing?  I fully support your efforts to keep Ukrainian informed in the tongue of the Motherland.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 02:55:29 PM
Dude, Babel was a myth.

A myth to teach an important spiritual lesson!  Namely: having lots of different languages makes it harder to do stuff.  Sure reject the ancient wisdom of you heritage.  You are going all Ukranian now anyway I am sure they have lots of great teachings on stuff like boiling dumplings and shooting people on the Odessa steps.

QuoteSeriously, though, there is nothing wrong (and much that is right) with being multi-lingual.

Indeed there is much right in being multi-lingual.  But preserving language minority enclaves?  That is right out of the book of 'How Not to Assimilate Immigrants'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 02:51:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2011, 02:50:05 PM
The why of your question is for the consideration of the political process.

I'm asking why even considering it is considered =  :wacko:

A considerable percentage of the BC population speak languages other than English and French.  In some pockets of the lower mainland those other languages would be spoken by the majority.  By your logic the government would have a legal obligation to provide education in those other languages.  I dont see the utility of doing that nor do I think the provinces would have the resources to do it.

In a perfect world where the government has unlimited resources (actually Berkut's nightmare) and can be all things to all people then perhaps the government might cater to everyone's particular cultural and linguistic nuance.

But until that day comes the allocation of scarce resources is a political decision.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 03:01:19 PM
Indeed there is much right in being multi-lingual.  But preserving language minority enclaves?  That is right out of the book of 'How Not to Assimilate Immigrants'.

Heh, what happened to the "but of course they will all learn English anyway so what's the problem?' Valmy that was on such conspicuous display a few pages ago?  :lol:

HVC

The preschool i went to also taught in just ukrainian. Hearing people "speaking in tongues" through the wall while in the religious part of the day was always surreal.  And don't worry malthus, it was a private catholic school lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

i'm proof that that theory is inaccurate :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 31, 2011, 03:10:28 PM

To be honest, I think that Malthus's statement only goes to show thatlearning multiple languages is good as long as you can speak them correctly or coherently. :console:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 31, 2011, 03:07:24 PM
Heh, what happened to the "but of course they will all learn English anyway so what's the problem?' Valmy that was on such conspicuous display a few pages ago?  :lol:

That was in response to something specific that Oex said where he basically said you come out of the Quebec educational system knowing English...or at least I thought he was saying that.  And the observation that in Quebec they do indeed learn English.  Or seem to.  I was not being theoretical.

But for fucksake Malthus if Quebec did not exist you would not ship over a bunch of Francophones and invent it.  It is there so we have to deal with the reality the best we can.  We are not going to artificially create a German speaking state in the US because that would just make things more difficult.  But if there were a German state, well you work with it.  Likewise if Quebec was 100% French speaking I am sure they would not work hard to create their anglophone minority.  That would just be daft.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2011, 03:01:25 PM

A considerable percentage of the BC population speak languages other than English and French.  In some pockets of the lower mainland those other languages would be spoken by the majority.  By your logic the government would have a legal obligation to provide education in those other languages.  I dont see the utility of doing that nor do I think the provinces would have the resources to do it.

In a perfect world where the government has unlimited resources (actually Berkut's nightmare) and can be all things to all people then perhaps the government might cater to everyone's particular cultural and linguistic nuance.

But until that day comes the allocation of scarce resources is a political decision.

So your argument depends on it costing significantly more resources to teach a child in one language over another. Seems a weak reed.

Moreover, my argument only requires such teaching if a sizable portion of people want it, so as to make it a viable proposition. Is there a significant demand for primary teaching in other languages? Or do parents there in fact prefer English as a primary language of instruction for practical reasons, making the debate somewhat moot?

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 03:11:40 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 31, 2011, 03:10:28 PM

To be honest, I think that Malthus's statement only goes to show thatlearning multiple languages is good as long as you can speak them correctly or coherently. :console:
it's like juggling balls. it's easier when you have just one :lol: