Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2011, 12:14:02 PM
@CC:
Federal over-spending was documented.  And there's the whole sponsorship scandal thing, wich you seem to have forgotten.

I know you can read English well so your post in reponse to mine is a bit perplexing.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2011, 04:26:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2011, 03:24:23 PM
For example, take the funding of religious schools in Ontario. Is there any really sensible reason why Catholic schools are fully funded, but (say) Jewish or Muslim schools are not? Why are Catholics considered more worthy of state support?
They are publicly funded, so long as they teach the province's curriculum.

I understand the historical reasons why this is so, but it makes no frigging sense in the present day. A Jew or a muslim is a taxpayer and a citizen just like a Catholic. Either all religious schools should be funded (based on some eligibility criteria) or none should be.
In Quebec, public schools are no longer seperated on a religious basis, only language basis.
Muslim and Jewish schools can receive funding, even if they are private (60% public funding for all private schools), though they have to abide by the basics of the Education Department.  That means no creationism, and no "preparation to be a good wife" stuff.

Then Quebec arranges this matter more sensibly than Ontario does.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on August 28, 2011, 01:45:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2011, 12:05:21 AM

In fact Quebec has never been a net contributor to equalization since the entire concept was invented.  It's not surprising that you just want to waive your hands and ignore these facts.

There are reasons to become independant other than getting wealthier.  And one has to be willing to make sacrifices in order to reach one's goals.  Besides Quebecers could use some hardship... they've become far too complacent.

G.

Save us from "patriots" who wish hardship on their own people to make them more patriotic!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2011, 12:17:09 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2011, 12:14:02 PM
@CC:
Federal over-spending was documented.  And there's the whole sponsorship scandal thing, wich you seem to have forgotten.

I know you can read English well so your post in reponse to mine is a bit perplexing.
I tought you were implying this was all a seperatist invention... I have misread, then. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2011, 01:14:15 PM

In fact Quebec has never been a net contributor to equalization since the entire concept was invented.  It's not surprising that you just want to waive your hands and ignore these facts.

There are reasons to become independant other than getting wealthier.  And one has to be willing to make sacrifices in order to reach one's goals.  Besides Quebecers could use some hardship... they've become far too complacent.

G.

Save us from "patriots" who wish hardship on their own people to make them more patriotic!  :D

Apparently Grallon has someone to vote for in the next provincial election.

QuoteThe leader of an as-yet-unnamed but already popular political party wants Quebec's language police to crackdown on Montreal merchants who refuse to speak French.

François Legault, who earlier this year launched the right-leaning Coalition pour l'avenir du Québec, released language-protection proposals on Monday. "Each Quebecker has a responsibility to ensure that the language of commerce is French," the former Parti Québécois cabinet minister said.

Zoupa

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on August 29, 2011, 04:02:46 PM
So he wants people to follow the law?  :mellow:

You are one of those just following orders types arent you?

or should I have used ?? at the end?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2011, 03:52:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2011, 01:14:15 PM

G.

Apparently Grallon has someone to vote for in the next provincial election.

QuoteThe leader of an as-yet-unnamed but already popular political party wants Quebec's language police to crackdown on Montreal merchants who refuse to speak French.

François Legault, who earlier this year launched the right-leaning Coalition pour l'avenir du Québec, released language-protection proposals on Monday. "Each Quebecker has a responsibility to ensure that the language of commerce is French," the former Parti Québécois cabinet minister said.
the article is quite misleading, as usual from everything related by Canadian medias.
Legault mostly wants Québécois to insist on using French in Montreal instead of switching to English as soon as they hear the language.
Just as you wouldn't try to speak Mandarin when walking in a Chinese restaurant.
I fail to see what's wrong with that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

chipwich

[/quote]
Legault mostly wants Québécois to insist on using French in Montreal instead of switching to English as soon as they hear the language.
Just as you wouldn't try to speak Mandarin when walking in a Chinese restaurant.
[/quote]

Uh those aren't at all similar.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2011, 04:27:18 PM
the article is quite misleading, as usual from everything related by Canadian medias.

:huh:

My first reaction to that - in what possible way is it Legault's business, or any politico's business, what *I* (or anyone) choose to speak in a Chinese restaurant, or any other private interaction I or any other person choose to have?

Surely "butt out and mind yer own business" is the only rational response to such an importunity?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2011, 04:38:58 PM

My first reaction to that - in what possible way is it Legault's business, or any politico's business, what *I* (or anyone) choose to speak in a Chinese restaurant, or any other private interaction I or any other person choose to have?

Surely "butt out and mind yer own business" is the only rational response to such an importunity?

Pretty sure they're not talking about private conversations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on August 29, 2011, 04:42:26 PM

Further, I'd think you'd not find it out of the ordinary for a politician associated with a cause to exhort people to support that cause ("recycle!, etc. etc.")?

Malthus

What other sort of conversation does one typically hold in a Chinese restaurant?  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on August 29, 2011, 04:54:17 PM

Further, I'd think you'd not find it out of the ordinary for a politician associated with a cause to exhort people to support that cause ("recycle!, etc. etc.")?

How can that be "further"? Are you of the opinion that it *is* about private conversations (and not really a big deal, being equivalent to "please recycle") or that it is *not* about private conversations?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2011, 04:55:12 PM

What other sort of conversation does one typically hold in a Chinese restaurant?  :hmm:

The conversations with the waiter? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.