Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Viking on August 25, 2011, 10:20:45 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2011, 10:08:34 AM
Can you guys stop comparing us to France, damn it. Fucking Anglos.

Because that is the alternative.

To what?

I am not Viper. I believe that English rule was 100% better then what a comparative French rule would have been. Plus you know, we would have ended up english anyway when Nappy would have sold us out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 25, 2011, 10:41:15 AM
I believe that English rule was 100% better then what a comparative French rule would have been.

:huh:

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on August 25, 2011, 10:42:45 AM
I believe that English rule was 100% better then what a comparative French rule would have been.

:huh:

I don't know about that part either, but your snipped out the most important part - it all would have gone to hell in a handbasket 50 years later when the Revolution and Nappy happened.

Valmy

I am not Viper. I believe that English rule was 100% better then what a comparative French rule would have been. Plus you know, we would have ended up english anyway when Nappy would have sold us out.

Nappy would have sold you to us though to keep the Brits out of North America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 10:45:24 AM
I don't know about that part either, but your snipped out the most important part - it all would have gone to hell in a handbasket 50 years later when the Revolution and Nappy happened.

Are we sure a French victory in the Seven Years War scenario would have resulted in everything else happening exactly the same though?  This is why alt history fails for me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 11:06:00 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 10:45:24 AM

Are we sure a French victory in the Seven Years War scenario would have resulted in everything else happening exactly the same though?  This is why alt history fails for me.

Well I fail to see how France winning the Seven Years War would prevent the French Revolution.

crazy canuck

QuoteThe Constitution was drafted in one night to exclude Quebec

You have a point to make about the manner in which the Constitution Act 1982 came to be but this allegation is simply false.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 11:07:52 AM
Well I fail to see how France winning the Seven Years War would prevent the French Revolution.

Hell a politically savvy Louis could have prevented the French Revolution.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 10:52:01 AM
Nappy would have sold you to us though to keep the Brits out of North America.
Exactly.  So now, Quebec would be poor, unilingual English speakers who wouldn't enjoy any of the wealth or social protections of Canada.  An unequivocal disaster.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 25, 2011, 09:07:50 AM
You are missing his point. He's questioning that "you" are old enough to have personally experoienced any of this.

Yes, it like if I complained about the treatment of black people today and cited slavery as a grievance.  People definitely do it - but they look odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 11:10:26 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2011, 11:07:52 AM
Hell a politically savvy Louis could have prevented the French Revolution.
I think you're oversimplifying.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on August 25, 2011, 11:19:15 AM
I think you're oversimplifying.

Yeah?  Well I think you are over-complicating.

But seriously the personality and shortcomings of Louis did have a part to play.  If those had been different things, among many other factors, things would have been different

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2011, 11:22:13 AM
Yeah?  Well I think you are over-complicating.

But seriously the personality and shortcomings of Louis did have a part to play.  If those had been different things, among many other factors, things would have been different
Sure, and if King Louis XVI had had a vagina instead of a penis, he would have been Queen Louisa.  So what?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!