Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:01:19 AM
Have you ever heard these so called bilingual employees actually speak French? I think you have consumed too much of the cool aid and are simply reciting the mantra.  FYI when I worked in customs we too had a designated french speaker.  She wasnt very good at it and often times when she was needed she could not be found or not working that day - and that was at an International airport where for sure one could expect French speakers from all over the world.

I am willing to bet my house that if I took one of my sons to the Post Office in Quesnel and they started speaking french on anything but a basic level no one would really understand them.

Which is really the point Oex was making.

You mean did I ever hear the two prosecutors in our office from Quebec speak French?  I certainly did.  Our receptionist was always bilingual as well.

I am sure you will agree the two prosectors from Quebec are significantly different from hiring someone form Quesnel who took a few French courses and is now the "bilingual" employee who will be giving service in French in that small town.

You have already told us that your office carries out trials in French.  Obviously that is a special case.  Is it your position that in all of the other services that will rarely if ever require french to be spoken their are French speakers who speak french as well as the people in your office?

Is the goal to provide a adequate level of service to French speakers, or is it to employ more native French speakers?

Why do they need to speak French "well"? Isn't just being able to communicate what is needed adequate?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

They have to be able to convey bitter resentment and delusions of relevance.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:01:19 AM
Have you ever heard these so called bilingual employees actually speak French? I think you have consumed too much of the cool aid and are simply reciting the mantra.  FYI when I worked in customs we too had a designated french speaker.  She wasnt very good at it and often times when she was needed she could not be found or not working that day - and that was at an International airport where for sure one could expect French speakers from all over the world.

I am willing to bet my house that if I took one of my sons to the Post Office in Quesnel and they started speaking french on anything but a basic level no one would really understand them.

Which is really the point Oex was making.

You mean did I ever hear the two prosecutors in our office from Quebec speak French?  I certainly did.  Our receptionist was always bilingual as well.

I am sure you will agree the two prosectors from Quebec are significantly different from hiring someone form Quesnel who took a few French courses and is now the "bilingual" employee who will be giving service in French in that small town.

You have already told us that your office carries out trials in French.  Obviously that is a special case.  Is it your position that in all of the other services that will rarely if ever require french to be spoken their are French speakers who speak french as well as the people in your office?

No - most federal offices probably don't import Quebecers.  But yes - it is my understanding that all Federal offices will have someone who speaks French (though not as a first language) to be able to provide French language service.

I'm not quite sure why you bring up Quesnel.  I rather doubt they even have any Federal Government offices there.  Remember most government services are provided by the province.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:17:46 AM
I'm not quite sure why you bring up Quesnel.  I rather doubt they even have any Federal Government offices there.  Remember most government services are provided by the province.

I bring up Quesnel becuase it has a post office (Federal) and is a community that has at best a small number of people who would have French as a first language to illustrate the point that you are incorrect in your assertion that the Federal government provides all services in French and English.  They may do so on paper but the reality is quite different.  Which again is I think the point Oex was making.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 11:13:58 AM
Is the goal to provide a adequate level of service to French speakers, or is it to employ more native French speakers?

Why do they need to speak French "well"? Isn't just being able to communicate what is needed adequate?

I think the goal is to provide a reasonable level of service in French.  Oex and I can quibble about what that might be.  On the extremes you have BB who says all services are provided in French (which I say is not the reality - as shown by this case actually) and Viper/Grallon who say all services must be provided French or its a sham.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:23:24 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:17:46 AM

I bring up Quesnel becuase it has a post office (Federal) and is a community that has at best a small number of people who would have French as a second language to illustrate the point that you are incorrect in your assertion that the Federal government provides all services in French and English.  They may do so on paper but the reality is quite different.  Which again is I think the point Oex was making.

CanadaPost has privatized most of its post offices.  I question whether they are required to provide bilingual services at every single post office.

ANyways, here's more than I ever wanted to know about Canada Post's efforts to be French:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mr/assets/pdf/aboutus/engfr_en.pdf

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:27:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 11:13:58 AM

I think the goal is to provide a reasonable level of service in French.  Oex and I can quibble about what that might be.  On the extremes you have BB who says all services are provided in French (which I say is not the reality - as shown by this case actually) and Viper/Grallon who say all services must be provided French or its a sham.

ZOMG - have I just been called an extreme bilingualist? :wacko:

If I was going to come up with some overall policy for the Federal government, it would be that all essential services must be provided in French - though not every employee need speak French, they must be able to connect you with one who does.

This case is a poor example, as I think it's ridiculous that Air Canada is subject to the Official Languages Act.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:33:36 AM

You have won one Pierre Trudeau point for your devotion to blingualism in Canada!  Congratulations!

Vous avez gagner un point de Pierre Trudeau pour votre dévouement à bilinguisme au Canada!  Félicitations!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:42:13 AM

You have won one Pierre Trudeau for your devotion to blingualism in Canada!  Congratulations!

Vous avez gagner un point de Pierre Trudeau pour votre devotion au bilinguisme au Canada!  Félicitations!

You should have put the french first or someone will complain :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

You have won one Pierre Trudeau point for your devotion to blingualism in Canada!  Congratulations!

Vous avez gagner un point de Pierre Trudeau pour votre dévouement à bilinguisme au Canada!  Félicitations!

You really know how to insult a guy. :mad:

Valmy

Duque de Bragança

Vous avez gagné un point de Pierre Trudeau pour votre dévouement au bilinguisme au Canada!  Félicitations!

FYP

Though the "gagner" (infinitive) instead of "gagné" (past participe) is a common mistake.