Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:38:36 AM
Because the goal isn't really about making sure that the current level of support for French speakers is adequate, it is about making it clear that there is no adequate level of support possible.

That is certainly the view I get from Viper and Grallon.

Not sure where Oex stands on the issue though.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2011, 10:34:47 AM
Are there French immersion classes (like summer camps) for kids in the west?
My younger cousins attended some summer camps like that, to learn english.

Yes, My son attended one this summer.  I am not sure why you would be surprised to learn that. 
Becasue us anglos hate french, tabernac!

:p to be fair it doesn't look like it would suprise him, more that he was curious.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 10:39:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:38:36 AM
Because the goal isn't really about making sure that the current level of support for French speakers is adequate, it is about making it clear that there is no adequate level of support possible.

That is certainly the view I get from Viper and Grallon.

Not sure where Oex stands on the issue though.
i thought Viper was more level headed on the french in canada thing (though apparently he really hates his queen :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 10:36:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 08:42:32 AM
but if a country is going to say it has two languages, they should manage that.

We do "manage it".  It is a question of degree.  So I will ask you the same question the Oex has not yet answered.  Should the Federal government employ a french speaking employee in a community where there is zero chance someone will seek their services in French or should some reasonable judgments be made about the allocation of resources.

What this guy is doing is pushing at the edges of what is reasonable.

umm... The Feds do employ french speaking people in every community where the Federal government has an office for just that eventuality.  Not every employee speaks French, but enough do that you can be offered service in either official language.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

But could you order Winnipeg Jets tickets in French?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:35:09 AM
Oh, so now you know why I post, even if I state explicitly that I am asking a question?

No, although what I've quoted is another example of a loaded question.  I don't think that you were looking for the real answer - given that a) the law had already been discussed earlier in the thread (/would be easy to lookup) and how you were so quick to state that you'd denounce it, if it was setup the way you thought it might be.

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:35:09 AMHell, I was asking what the law was - how would the law turn someone into a whiny git? I said the law was stupid, if it was as stated. I did not say a word about the Canadian French in the post you accused me of being "outraged" about.

Again, that was not the only post you have made in this thread. You've made your contempt apparent.

That is called a joke. Unwad your tender sensibilities.

So are you stating that your joke was completely irrelevant to the points you were making about these antics by French Canadians?

No, what makes you a d-bag is acting like a d-bag and then backpedaling when you get called out on it. But grumbler is right, this is your "thing", and I guess you need something to separate you from everyone else. You are a special and unique flower.

Where am I backpedaling? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

We do "manage it".  It is a question of degree.  So I will ask you the same question the Oex has not yet answered.  Should the Federal government employ a french speaking employee in a community where there is zero chance someone will seek their services in French or should some reasonable judgments be made about the allocation of resources.

I've no idea. I suppose it depends on how important the narrative of bilingualism is to the country.

I don't agree with that individual at all - but I am trying to think through his position, as I don't think trivializing it will not make it disappear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 10:45:40 AM

You can't order Winnipeg Jets ticket in any language.  Stupid three year sellout. <_<

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 10:55:25 AM

You can't order Winnipeg Jets ticket in any language.  Stupid three year sellout. <_<
Scalpers are your only hope. will you conscious let you break the law to see a game :ph34r:

Actually, is it illegal to buy, or just sell?

Valmy

:console:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 10:56:35 AM

Scalpers are your only hope. will you conscious let you break the law to see a game :ph34r:

I'm only charged with prosecuting offences in Alberta.  Winnipeg is well outside my jurisdiction. :ph34r:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 10:56:35 AM

I'm only charged with prosecuting offences in Alberta.  Winnipeg is well outside my jurisdiction. :ph34r:
might as well smoke pot there too, hypocrit :rolleyes:

:P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 10:43:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 08:42:32 AM
but if a country is going to say it has two languages, they should manage that.

umm... The Feds do employ french speaking people in every community where the Federal government has an office for just that eventuality.  Not every employee speaks French, but enough do that you can be offered service in either official language.

Have you ever heard these so called bilingual employees actually speak French? I think you have consumed too much of the cool aid and are simply reciting the mantra.  FYI when I worked in customs we too had a designated french speaker.  She wasnt very good at it and often times when she was needed she could not be found or not working that day - and that was at an International airport where for sure one could expect French speakers from all over the world.

I am willing to bet my house that if I took one of my sons to the Post Office in Quesnel and they started speaking french on anything but a basic level no one would really understand them.

Which is really the point Oex was making.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:01:19 AM
Have you ever heard these so called bilingual employees actually speak French? I think you have consumed too much of the cool aid and are simply reciting the mantra.  FYI when I worked in customs we too had a designated french speaker.  She wasnt very good at it and often times when she was needed she could not be found or not working that day - and that was at an International airport where for sure one could expect French speakers from all over the world.

I am willing to bet my house that if I took one of my sons to the Post Office in Quesnel and they started speaking french on anything but a basic level no one would really understand them.

You mean did I ever hear the two prosecutors in our office from Quebec speak French?  I certainly did.  Our receptionist was always bilingual as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:03:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 11:01:19 AM

You mean did I ever hear the two prosecutors in our office from Quebec speak French?  I certainly did.  Our receptionist was always bilingual as well.

I am sure you will agree the two prosectors from Quebec are significantly different from hiring someone form Quesnel who took a few French courses and is now the "bilingual" employee who will be giving service in French in that small town.

You have already told us that your office carries out trials in French.  Obviously that is a special case.  Is it your position that in all of the other services that will rarely if ever require french to be spoken their are French speakers who speak french as well as the people in your office?