Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on August 17, 2011, 01:53:00 PM
Wasn't the Greek royal family German?

Yep.  The Germans had so many royal families that royals used to be one of their chief exports.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 17, 2011, 01:53:00 PM
Wasn't the Greek royal family German?

German by way of Denmark, it appears.  I've been reading wiki on the topic after I brought it up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2011, 01:30:50 PM
Queens german anyway.

She is as British as Queen Victoria!

Given that the Queen Mum is Scottish, I'm pretty sure that QE2 is much more British (but no more English) than Vicky.

Blackadder reference:

"I am not a German spy!  I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"

"Aha so you admit that your father's German, you're half German, and you married a German!"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2011, 01:19:01 PM
Why not?
How many countries in the world, outside of the Commonwealth have an out of country head of state?

Seems to me we have the best of both worlds - we have the tradition and stability that the monarchy brings, without having to actually pay for it. :)
you do pay for it.  You pay for a non-elected head of state and its office. and you pay for any trip the Royal family makes in your country, be they official of the country or not.  We have to maintain a residence and a permanent staff in some provinces:
To assist the Queen in carrying out her official duties on behalf of Canada, she appoints various people to her Canadian household. Along with the Canadian Secretary to the Queen,[176] the monarch's entourage includes two ladies-in-waiting, the Canadian Equerry-in-Waiting to the Queen, the Queen's Police Officer, the Duke of Edinburgh's Police Officer,[237] the Queen's Honorary Physician, the Queen's Honorary Dental Surgeon, and the Queen's Honorary Nursing Officer[238] — the latter three being drawn from the Canadian Forces.[66] There are also three household regiments specifically attached to the Royal Household (the Governor General's Foot Guards, the Governor General's Horse Guards, and the Canadian Grenadier Guards), as well as two chapels royal in Ontario.[239]

The only thing we don't pay is their annual pension from the British.  I suppose in the past, pre-Westminster, there was a part of our revenues dedicated to that.

@Valmy:
I would prefer a republican system where the elected chief of state costs more than a non elected monarch whose aptitude to leadership is determined by birth.  I don't like Elizabeth II, and I'm stuck with her for as long as she lives.  Same goes for Charles, and I don't get to chose if William ascend to the throne or not.  Imagine is G.W. Bush was still your President until he dies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 02:21:48 PM
Why not?
How many countries in the world, outside of the Commonwealth have an out of country head of state?

Seems to me we have the best of both worlds - we have the tradition and stability that the monarchy brings, without having to actually pay for it. :)
you do pay for it.  You pay for a non-elected head of state and its office. and you pay for any trip the Royal family makes in your country, be they official of the country or not.  We have to maintain a residence and a permanent staff in some provinces:
To assist the Queen in carrying out her official duties on behalf of Canada, she appoints various people to her Canadian household. Along with the Canadian Secretary to the Queen,[176] the monarch's entourage includes two ladies-in-waiting, the Canadian Equerry-in-Waiting to the Queen, the Queen's Police Officer, the Duke of Edinburgh's Police Officer,[237] the Queen's Honorary Physician, the Queen's Honorary Dental Surgeon, and the Queen's Honorary Nursing Officer[238] — the latter three being drawn from the Canadian Forces.[66] There are also three household regiments specifically attached to the Royal Household (the Governor General's Foot Guards, the Governor General's Horse Guards, and the Canadian Grenadier Guards), as well as two chapels royal in Ontario.[239]

The only thing we don't pay is their annual pension from the British.  I suppose in the past, pre-Westminster, there was a part of our revenues dedicated to that.

@Valmy:
I would prefer a republican system where the elected chief of state costs more than a non elected monarch whose aptitude to leadership is determined by birth.  I don't like Elizabeth II, and I'm stuck with her for as long as she lives.  Same goes for Charles, and I don't get to chose if William ascend to the throne or not.  Imagine is G.W. Bush was still your President until he dies.

If all Bush did was cut ribbons, appear in gossip mags, and have his schnozz on the coinage, what's the harm?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

@Valmy:
Queen and king to be make no decisions, so it's not fair to campare them to a president for life. and what's not like about the queen? Besides the fact you don't wanta  queen :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2011, 01:42:33 PM
Man when all these people find out their monarches are foreigners they're going to be pissed.
Germans and English are the same.
Germans colonized England, and once the English achieved sufficient distinction from the French & the Germans they tought it be cool to renew with their roots so they imported one King from near the old Fatherland.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 02:27:37 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2011, 01:42:33 PM
Man when all these people find out their monarches are foreigners they're going to be pissed.
Germans and English are the same.
Germans colonized England (why the name, hey? ;) ), and once they achieve sufficient distinction from the French & the Germans they tought it be cool to renew with their roots so they imported one from near the old Fatherland.

by that distinction canadians are brits so the queen's cool again :D

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Why not?

We pay for their visits (which we'd do anyways, same as the US pays for their visits to the US), then we give a bunch of people some honourary titles that don't cost us anything.  Sounds real expensive! :lol:

Malthus

I'm starting to think we should give people from Quebec something real to complain about - make Celine Dion honorary queen of Quebec.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2011, 02:28:52 PM
by that distinction canadians are brits so the queen's cool again :D
I suppose many still see themselves as the heir to the British Empire.  Disapointing.

Valmy

@Valmy:

G. W. Bush would be a great head of state with no power.  He is a natural upper class Texan who loves golf and shaking hands and giving tearful speaches all that.  What he sucked at was, you know, actually governing which is why he was a fine Texas Governor but a shitty President.  The Queen of Canada is not comparable to the President of the United States.  Your actual leader is the Prime Minister.  The Queen is as relevent to the governance of Canada as the Bald Eagle is to the governance of the US.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2011, 02:29:05 PM
We pay for their visits (which we'd do anyways, same as the US pays for their visits to the US), then we give a bunch of people some honourary titles that don't cost us anything.  Sounds real expensive! :lol:
If Obama's daughter decided to visit us with her boyfriend, we wouldn't pay for her expense.  Nor are we required to maintain permanent staff at their disposal, or at Obama's disposal.  Nor do we pay for a visit by Obama's brother/sister/cousin.  And if he was old enough to have grand child, I don't see ourselves paying for their trip.

Sorry, better luck next time my royalist friend  :alberta:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2011, 02:32:52 PM
@Valmy:

G. W. Bush would be a great head of state with no power.  He is a natural upper class Texan who loves golf and shaking hands and giving tearful speaches all that.  What he sucked at was, you know, actually governing which is why he was a fine Texas Governor but a shitty President.  The Queen of Canada is not comparable to the President of the United States.  Your actual leader is the Prime Minister.  The Queen is as relevent to the governance of Canada as the Bald Eagle is to the governance of the US.

I think you're right. W would've made an awesome monarch (or Governor General).