"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 15, 2011, 04:06:57 PM
What's that?
A picture from the Moon hoax?

I name thee Poe!!!

Either that or I demand you take the black and protect the kingdom from the others on the wall.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 03:51:45 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 15, 2011, 03:48:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 03:10:41 PM
When did people think the Earth was pear shaped?

That's stupid.
Everybody knows the Earth is flat, otherwise we would slide off the sides.

"    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.    "

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims their political beliefs are "rational".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 03:51:45 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 15, 2011, 03:48:45 PM

That's stupid.
Everybody knows the Earth is flat, otherwise we would slide off the sides.

"    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.    "

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims their political beliefs are "rational".

from Irrational Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Some guy on the Internet said it!  Wow!  How asinine.  I will admit, I was amused by the Rational wikis observations of Conservopedia.  The way they view of facts is honestly chilling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 04:09:07 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 15, 2011, 04:06:57 PM
What's that?
A picture from the Moon hoax?

I name thee Poe!!!

Either that or I demand you take the black and protect the kingdom from the others on the wall.

Why Poe?  I'm not a writter.
Though I did enjoy the balloon hoax and the rats in the wall.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:19:54 PM
Some guy on the Internet said it!  Wow!  How asinine.  I will admit, I was amused by the Rational wikis observations of Conservopedia.  The way they view of facts is honestly chilling.
rationalwiki has a good definition of Poe's Law. I wasn't relying on them for fact, but rather for a definiton of a proposed "law". It's a bit like referring to the usenet for the definition of Godwin's Law (which all you schmucks get wrong constantly).

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 04:24:59 PM
rationalwiki has a good definition of Poe's Law. I wasn't relying on them for fact, but rather for a definiton of a proposed "law". It's a bit like referring to the usenet for the definition of Godwin's Law (which all you schmucks get wrong constantly).

Bothering to define some arbitrary law conceived on a usenet forum is stupid.  Why would anyone bother giving him the time of day?

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:27:30 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 04:24:59 PM

Bothering to define some arbitrary law conceived on a usenet forum is stupid.  Why would anyone bother giving him the time of day?

Calling someone a poe is not claiming the law is true, but rather claiming that somebody is performing a hoax.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
Those should all be relevant factors for Canada.

Not really.   Those factors are only relevant in the limited sense that they are inputs that help determine how much shipping would actually be conducted through the Canadian NW passage if the improvements were made vs. not.  But that doesn't come close to addressing the issue of whether the investment should be made, much less whether it should be made now.  The factors that matter for that decision include:

+ Direct benefits to Canadians of being able to ship goods through the passage
+  Revenues that could be obtained from others shipping goods through the passage (speculative)
+ Drawbacks of having significant shipping moving through the passage (environment, burden on infrastruture and regulatory resources, etc)
+ Effect investment will have on shipping volumes
+ Cost of investment
+ Timing - how long it will take to acquire infrastructure vs. how long before large-scale shipping is feasible through the passage for sufficient time of the year.

You've addressed #4 only.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 04:28:32 PM

Calling someone a poe is not claiming the law is true, but rather claiming that somebody is performing a hoax.

I think it's more indicative of the person saying the word "poe".

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

I keep forgetting that I shouldn't reply to Raz' posts.

Razgovory

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 04:32:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

I keep forgetting that I shouldn't reply to Raz' posts.

He as been fairly sane lately.  The Fate rule need not always apply to Raz.

Josephus

For a very short period of time. Between Jan 12, 1390 and Jan 14, 1390 the pear-shapers were all the rage.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011