Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

You fuckers fatigue me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 11:53:58 AM
Obama (in the eye of the european)

Healthcare - he is off the far right of the spectrum. Europeans have actual single payer universal health care over the tax budget.

Gay Rights - centrist. Even European Conservatives are pro-gay rights. Gay marriage or military service is not considered controversial.

Drugs - he is far right. Drug prices are regulated and controlled.

Foreign Policy - center right, seeks to end the existing wars and make peace in palestine

etc.etc.

I think it's much more useful in judging the ideology of someone in a foreign country to look at the direction of movement in their policies rather than get hung up on their specific positions. For instance, Obama has said in the past he'd like to have a single payer system. He's not pushing it because it wouldn't get him anywhere.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 23, 2011, 07:39:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 07:01:39 PMIt's willfull ignorance to pretend that the left in this country wasn't howling for Bush's head from day one over his "stolen election."
Until 9/11.  I don't remember the howling.  My impression was that the left generally started sneering and assumed that he'd be a one term President as, in the early days, it looked like he would.

QuoteIt's willfull ignorance to pretend that the left didn't try to bludgeon Bush with Iraq and then stop caring after we had won.
Not true.  Iraq divided the left (and it's nonsense to suggest otherwise) most of the American left support Iraq if they grew increasingly dubious about Bush and Rumsfeld.  But I don't think you can say that crossed over into the mainstream until 2005-06.  There's a reason they nominated Kerry not Dean.

QuoteIt's willfull ignorance to pretend that Gitmo was the most heinous crime known to man until Obama continued it.
The civil liberties left have legitimate grievances, they are not the left.

The biggest crime of the Bush administration was torture.

QuoteNo, he did not.
No he didn't.  Congress did, led by John McCain in 2005 and Bush signed that law. 

Obama didn't stop detention, but there's a difference.  The issue of detention is real and difficult (I think Obama and Bush are probably wrong on it, but I'm not sure), torture's a civilised society whoring herself out to fear.

I think Yi mostly remembers mean things said about Bush on the Pdox OT.  Bush's approval rating was surprisingly high after he took office.  In other words many in the left gave him a chance.  Higher then say, the percentage of people who actually voted for him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Until 9/11.  I don't remember the howling.
Really?  There was a lot of rancor over the election.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Yeah, that's how I remember it, even though at the time I was leaning toward Bush, I thought it was questionable and a lot of people were livid.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 11:59:48 PM
Yeah, that's how I remember it, even though at the time I was leaning toward Bush, I thought it was questionable and a lot of people were livid.

Some were, but you didn't have the Minority leader of the Senate say that his chief goal was to make Bush a one turn President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2011, 08:49:44 PM
I think Yi mostly remembers mean things said about Bush on the Pdox OT.  Bush's approval rating was surprisingly high after he took office.  In other words many in the left gave him a chance.  Higher then say, the percentage of people who actually voted for him.
I don't recall that being the case.  I think that the way Bush got the presidency, by a Supreme Court vote, didn't bring any kind of closure to the election results.  It also didn't help that Bush seized the opportunity anyway, despite his questionable legitimacy, to push through the hard right agenda.  It wasn't until 9/11 that Bush got the approval ratings from the Democrats.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2011, 02:27:24 AM
It also didn't help that Bush seized the opportunity anyway, despite his questionable legitimacy, to push through the hard right agenda.

That was certainly the Democratic talking point of the time, but I don't remember his agenda being all that "hard right". He reduced the amount of stem cell research the government paid for and he lowered taxes. And he picked a former Senator from a swing state to his cabinet. Somehow these got spun into Bush being an ardent reactionary.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on September 23, 2011, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2011, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2011, 07:27:27 PM
I like how in the last debate people in the audience booed a gay solider.  Such nice chaps.

I would have booed him. Martiniusism should be stamped out.

That's not Martinusism. The soldier didn't use shitty metaphors or call for death and persecution of people he doesn't like. He did, however join the military and serve his country.

I don't think it's fair to call him a Martinusist.

Well, now that DADT is repealed (the only benefit of doing that is the massive aggro for conservatives), I can safely resolve my cognitive dissonance and consider all American soldiers to be murderers and college drop-outs.  :moon:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 09:12:28 PM
Until 9/11.  I don't remember the howling.
Really?  There was a lot of rancor over the election.
My impression was that it died down after, about February.

As I say my impression was that Bush started with lower than average approval ratings and they declined pretty steadily through his first year until 9/11.  Once Jeffords switched and Bush started to look very beatable at that early stage the Democrats switched to a haughty sneer and conviction of victory.  It may have been different on 'the left' in general.

That all ended with 9/11 when he became a war President.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2011, 12:16:04 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 11:59:48 PM

Some were, but you didn't have the Minority leader of the Senate say that his chief goal was to make Bush a one turn President.

No, it was just assumed that moron would be.

Razgovory

I don't recall that being the case.  I think that the way Bush got the presidency, by a Supreme Court vote, didn't bring any kind of closure to the election results.  It also didn't help that Bush seized the opportunity anyway, despite his questionable legitimacy, to push through the hard right agenda.  It wasn't until 9/11 that Bush got the approval ratings from the Democrats.

Remember, he did get bipartisan support on his tax cuts.

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 03:18:56 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 23, 2011, 07:52:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2011, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2011, 07:27:27 PM
I like how in the last debate people in the audience booed a gay solider.  Such nice chaps.

I would have booed him. Martiniusism should be stamped out.

That's not Martinusism. The soldier didn't use shitty metaphors or call for death and persecution of people he doesn't like. He did, however join the military and serve his country.

I don't think it's fair to call him a Martinusist.

Well, now that DADT is repealed (the only benefit of doing that is the massive aggro for conservatives), I can safely resolve my cognitive dissonance and consider all American soldiers to be murderers and college drop-outs.  :moon:

So now that homos are allowed to serve openly you now think worse of them?

That seems about right.

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2011, 10:38:44 AM

Remember, he did get bipartisan support on his tax cuts.

Huh? I mean sure, if you want to narrowly define bipartisanism as he got 3 votes from red state Democrats. The Bush tax cuts passed with 50 votes in the Senate with Dick Cheney being a tie breaker. On top of that Bush couldn't get 60 votes to overcome a filibuster so the tax cuts had to be passed under reconciliation rules and thus expired in 10 years.

To me bipartisan support means the legislation gets a super majority in the Senate... i.e. the Patriot Act.

AnchorClanker

Cain upset in Florida straw poll is very interesting.  37+%.  Wow.  More than twice Perry and Romney.

Weird fluke?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr