Britain burns - Chavs ruin civilization

Started by Tamas, August 07, 2011, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2011, 03:59:36 PM
QuoteLondon (CNN) -- Before they started appearing in court, most people assumed London's rioters and looters were unemployed youths with no hope and no future.

So there was much surprise when details of the accused began to emerge, and they included some from wealthy backgrounds or with good jobs.

Those passing through London's courtrooms on Tuesday and Wednesday -- some courts sat overnight to cope with the numbers -- have included a teaching assistant, a lifeguard, a postman, a chef, a charity worker, a millionaire's daughter and an 11-year-old boy, newspapers reported.

Snip

Huh. This seems like a bizarre sci-fi story set-up about mass hysteria caused by drugs or cosmic rays. Weird. :P

Not the same person, doofus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 04:06:34 PM
QuoteThe boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, from Romford, east of London, admitted stealing a £50 ($80) trash can from a department store, the Guardian reported.

The fuck?  Does it pick up trash on its own?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iTouchless-13-Gallon-Square-Stainless-Steel-Touchless-Trash-Can-MX/11988036?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11988036

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2011, 03:59:36 PM
QuoteLondon (CNN) -- Before they started appearing in court, most people assumed London's rioters and looters were unemployed youths with no hope and no future.

So there was much surprise when details of the accused began to emerge, and they included some from wealthy backgrounds or with good jobs.

Those passing through London's courtrooms on Tuesday and Wednesday -- some courts sat overnight to cope with the numbers -- have included a teaching assistant, a lifeguard, a postman, a chef, a charity worker, a millionaire's daughter and an 11-year-old boy, newspapers reported.

Snip

Huh. This seems like a bizarre sci-fi story set-up about mass hysteria caused by drugs or cosmic rays. Weird. :P

"The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" is probably the worst episode of the Twilight Zone I've seen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 11, 2011, 04:09:53 PM
QuoteThe boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, from Romford, east of London, admitted stealing a £50 ($80) trash can from a department store, the Guardian reported.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iTouchless-13-Gallon-Square-Stainless-Steel-Touchless-Trash-Can-MX/11988036?sourceid=1500000000000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11988036

Wow! My looting fingers are twitching...........

Ideologue

For the Bubble Boy who has everything.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 04:12:17 PM

For the Bubble Boy who has everything.

I hope you never go through the Sharper Image website. You would go into commie shock.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I can't imagine much worse to loot than a trash can, even if it did cost $80.  By their nature, they're large and somewhat awkward, and what do you do with it when you get it home?  I guess you can try to fence it, but that's dangerous, and the alternative is "wow, awesome, I got a trash can."

At least burning a car looks like it would be fun.

Edit: although, maybe you can put other things you loot into the trash can.  13 gallons is a lot of cell phones and video games.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2011, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2011, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2011, 02:13:06 PM
I really wonder what you can do. Mrs Thatcher destroyed a lot of places where these people's parents worked. Now is the City prepared to have their status downgraded so Britain becomes home to traditional industry again?

I am pretty sure those coal mines would be out of business today anyway.  Besides they were big money losers.

What is this love affair with the mining and burning of coal?  It seems to crop up in Brit threads all the time.

I thought Euros were all about the clean energy and reducing emissions and all that.

Funny how you seem to be reading into my post stuff that wasn't ever there. :)

I am sorry I just presumed by mentioning Mrs. Thatcher you were referring to her breaking the Coal mine Union and closing down all those mines thus impoverishing the significant parts of the country dependent on that industry.  Dick even referred to that specifically. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 04:05:54 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 04:02:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 03:45:21 PM

Bollocks.

There is no need to deploy armed police to deal with an opportunistic rabble. As soon as the police realised that they could engage these rioters with the support of the public the situation was sorted.

Shame if your business got looted between the time the riots started and the police "realized" this.  To me, if you have riots lasting several days spanning a large area something is not working right.

I think that the police were initially inhibited by what you Americans would call "liberal opinion". Once they realised that the public were behind them things could get resolved quite quickly.

I didn't know the police operated on a popularity contest model.  That's really asinine.  You don't let crimes occur if people are simply sympathetic to it.  If that was true it would be legal to simply murder people who are unpopular.

I at least partially agree with you. Sometimes the cops, especially the Met, behave like a branch of the social services department.

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 04:19:01 PM
I can't imagine much worse to loot than a trash can, even if it did cost $80.  By their nature, they're large and somewhat awkward, and what do you do with it when you get it home?  I guess you can try to fence it, but that's dangerous, and the alternative is "wow, awesome, I got a trash can."

At least burning a car looks like it would be fun.

Edit: although, maybe you can put other things you loot into the trash can.  13 gallons is a lot of cell phones and video games.
All the good stuff got looted already.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

For those interested, the use of baton rounds/ "plastic/rubber bullets" in Northern Ireland was quite extensive, in 35 years over 125,000 were fired and only 17 people killed.

Interesting article here:
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/baton.htm

Baton rounds have actually been used in mainland UK in recent years, 50 rounds fired, 94% of which hit their target, didn't know they were that accurate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Whatever happened to the human pain ray?
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.