News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thanks a lot, you motherfucking Yanks

Started by Martinus, August 05, 2011, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Princesca on August 05, 2011, 11:22:29 AM
But I'll stick around to dish on the non-political stuff. Only did this because I was mentioned by name. Someone's got to defend my honor. Ahem, Cal.   :rolleyes:
I don't post from work anymore. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2011, 07:31:01 PM
Quote from: Princesca on August 05, 2011, 11:22:29 AM
But I'll stick around to dish on the non-political stuff. Only did this because I was mentioned by name. Someone's got to defend my honor. Ahem, Cal.   :rolleyes:
I don't post from work anymore. :)

What do you do all day now?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Way belated response, but I'm surprised nobody's pointed out the flaw with the "money back to the taxpayers" argument, e.g. a case of selective amnesia.  The original "stimulus package" didn't give $10k back to each taxpayer, but it did give up to $1k back to each taxpayer.  It was decided not to repeat that mistake because we failed to account for a fourth possibility:

4) The taxpayer uses the money to pay off delinquent accounts, which are already accounted for in a business's financials as an unfunded liability.

It was decided not to repeat the direct pay because, whether it was delinquent accounts or "burying it in the backyard," the percentage of the stimulus that presented itself to recapitalize retail business and banks was dismal.  The government lost major money on that gamble, and yes, that's gone into that deficit that every fiscal conservative, myself included, has been railing against.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

?

What are you talking about?  Original stimulus package?  $1000 to each taxpayer?

garbon

What I like most about this thread is that only a little bit before, Marti was excited about the increase in purchasing power of the zloty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2011, 07:09:49 PM
What I like most about this thread is that only a little bit before, Marti was excited about the increase in purchasing power of the zloty.

I admit, I like Zloty women.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2011, 03:35:17 PM
?

What are you talking about?  Original stimulus package?  $1000 to each taxpayer?

Yeah, my numbers were off, as usual.  My bad.  $300/person, actually. :blush:

Wiki cites a source with no link that looks suspiciously like a token article that points out a 3.5% increase in spending due to the stimulus.

Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 06, 2011, 10:21:50 PM
Yeah, my numbers were off, as usual.  My bad.  $300/person, actually. :blush:

Wiki cites a source with no link that looks suspiciously like a token article that points out a 3.5% increase in spending due to the stimulus.

Still don't know what you're taking about.  I remember The Shrub sent out 500/1000 after the dotcom crash, but I don't remember any gift certificates as part of Obamastimulus.  Seniors got 250 each but everyone else got reduced payroll taxes.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2011, 10:24:18 PM
Still don't know what you're taking about.  I remember The Shrub sent out 500/1000 after the dotcom crash, but I don't remember any gift certificates as part of Obamastimulus.  Seniors got 250 each but everyone else got reduced payroll taxes.

2009, yeah.  I'm talking about Bush2's 2008 stimulus payouts.
Experience bij!