What's your country's "national" specialty that is mostly exported?

Started by Martinus, August 03, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

citizen k

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2011, 05:50:33 PM
Quote from: citizen k on August 04, 2011, 05:47:53 PM
They're not familiar with teppanyaki?

I think that was the problem.  They already had teppanyaki joints so Benihana's wasn't any big deal.

Ah so, it was so mundane, they were unimpressed.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 04, 2011, 09:48:43 PM
Our biggest export is actually inflation.

Hah, with our debt level, I was going to say U.S. treasury bonds are our biggest export.  :P

Syt

Austria: Politicians.

And another one for Germany: Tourists. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2011, 05:36:49 PM
I've told this story before, but who cares.

When they tried to open a Benihana's of Tokyo (one of those places where the chef cooks your food at your table and flips his knives around) in Tokyo it bombed.  So they renamed it Benihana's of New York.

Heh, reminds me of another point I've mentioned before: restaurant chains in Canada often use American names to indicate that they serve plentiful fare (Montana's, Boston Pizza, etc.)

So add "a reputation for huge portions" to the US list of exports.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2011, 09:30:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2011, 05:36:49 PM
I've told this story before, but who cares.

When they tried to open a Benihana's of Tokyo (one of those places where the chef cooks your food at your table and flips his knives around) in Tokyo it bombed.  So they renamed it Benihana's of New York.

Heh, reminds me of another point I've mentioned before: restaurant chains in Canada often use American names to indicate that they serve plentiful fare (Montana's, Boston Pizza, etc.)

So add "a reputation for huge portions" to the US list of exports.  ;)

I knew Boston Pizza was a Canada-only chain, but didn't realize that Montana's was the same.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2011, 09:49:04 AM
I knew Boston Pizza was a Canada-only chain, but didn't realize that Montana's was the same.

Yup - headquartered in good old Mississauga, Ontario.  :D

The reasons for these names are that the selling-point of these places (particularly Montana's) is that they serve US-style portions - that is, huge. The association is: US name = lots and lots of food.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I've never associated BPs with huge portions.

Incedentally I was amused that during the Vancouver-Boston Stanley Cup series BPs was advertising on the rink boards with the word "Boston" stroked out, and calling themself Vancouver Pizza instead. :)

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2011, 10:56:26 AM

Incedentally I was amused that during the Vancouver-Boston Stanley Cup series BPs was advertising on the rink boards with the word "Boston" stroked out, and calling themself Vancouver Pizza instead. :)

I hadn't either until my recent trip to TO... My cousin was in a newly developing area, very few restaurants, we ended up a BP a couple of times. I found the portions huge, and the food itself was reasonably decent for the price.
:p

Malthus

I dunno, whenever I've been to BP the portions have been big. It's a sort of somewhat upscale "strap the pizza feedbag on the whole family" kinda place.  ;)

Not, admittedly, to the degree of Montana's. That place is just obscene in terms of the amount of food they lay out.  :lol: 

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2011, 12:59:03 PM

I dunno, whenever I've been to BP the portions have been big. It's a sort of somewhat upscale "strap the pizza feedbag on the whole family" kinda place.  ;)

Not, admittedly, to the degree of Montana's. That place is just obscene in terms of the amount of food they lay out.  :lol:

I've also never, ever associated the word "upscale" with Boston Pizza either. :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2011, 03:03:51 PM
I've also never, ever associated the word "upscale" with Boston Pizza either. :lol:

Sure, in relation to fast-food type places.

Crazy_Ivan80

Belgium exports surrealism.

Ceci n'est pas un pays. And yet it's on the maps! And a vacationdestination!

Ideologue

Man, I can totally read French.  I'm putting that on my resume.  Of course it won't matter because I never raped a Pathan girl in the Khyber Pass.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)