What's your country's "national" specialty that is mostly exported?

Started by Martinus, August 03, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 04, 2011, 03:58:36 AM

Same with Norwegian cod/clip fish I guess.

Actually, that is a big deal, but mostly due to Norwegians getting a taste for bacalao.  :licklips:

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on August 04, 2011, 10:01:15 AM
Poutine, of course. Not the Vladimir kind. And cute little starlets. We even intruded in Mad Men with Jessica Paré.  :P

We stopped dumping exporting our rural dregs in New England by the start of the 20th century.

The Quebeces I know are always complaining about how they can't get a proper poutine out west.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2011, 07:13:27 AM
One thing I was surprised to hear that a Polish chocolate bar called "Prince Polo" (which dates back to the communist era so no, it doesn't need to make sense in English) is apparently very popular in Iceland.

Poland's second greatest gift to civilization that. Right after the Witcher.  :contract:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

I wonder if people in Switzerland put Nestle Quick in their milk.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2011, 10:27:26 PM
The stuff that you guys consume in many Chinese take-aways isn't really consumed in China.
same goes with Italian food.  And restaurants around here advertising "canadian food" are actually serving traditional New England foods.

But I'm surprised at you Mono.  You should have opened an "American restaurant" and start selling what passes for Chinese food here.  You would have cornered the market in fake Chinese food in no time!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

I've told this story before, but who cares.

When they tried to open a Benihana's of Tokyo (one of those places where the chef cooks your food at your table and flips his knives around) in Tokyo it bombed.  So they renamed it Benihana's of New York.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2011, 12:30:57 PM
I have no idea who eats poutine. Increasingly it is offered, but I've never seen anyone actually order any.  ;)
It's just like pot at first, everyone was hiding to smoke it, now, everyone smokes this shit outside of bars.  Give it some time.  In less than a decade from now, all stoners of Canada will crave for a big pout' after their smoke :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 04, 2011, 05:34:09 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2011, 10:27:26 PM
The stuff that you guys consume in many Chinese take-aways isn't really consumed in China.
same goes with Italian food.  And restaurants around here advertising "canadian food" are actually serving traditional New England foods.

But I'm surprised at you Mono.  You should have opened an "American restaurant" and start selling what passes for Chinese food here.  You would have cornered the market in fake Chinese food in no time!

I thought the food I got in Italy was pretty similar to what you'd get at a reasonably decent Italian restaurant in Canada. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2011, 05:36:49 PM
I've told this story before, but who cares.

When they tried to open a Benihana's of Tokyo (one of those places where the chef cooks your food at your table and flips his knives around) in Tokyo it bombed.  So they renamed it Benihana's of New York.

They're not familiar with teppanyaki?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: citizen k on August 04, 2011, 05:47:53 PM
They're not familiar with teppanyaki?

I think that was the problem.  They already had teppanyaki joints so Benihana's wasn't any big deal.