What's your country's "national" specialty that is mostly exported?

Started by Martinus, August 03, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Outside of Northern Portugal, Port is not that popular in Portugal.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 03, 2011, 06:38:00 PM
Now that you mention it, every McDonald's I've ever seen overseas was packed with people.

I live in New York so...

Anyway, you also have a lot of awful Americans that travel abroad and then only want to eat the "familiar." :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on August 04, 2011, 01:53:37 AM
World peace. Barring that, oil with less guilt.

Does it mean Norwegians do not use oil or that they have guilt about using it nonetheless? :P

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2011, 02:49:48 AM

Does it mean Norwegians do not use oil or that they have guilt about using it nonetheless? :P

Our oil is more democratic and peaceful.  :sleep:

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on August 04, 2011, 02:52:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2011, 02:49:48 AM

Our oil is more democratic and peaceful.  :sleep:

What I meant this does not necessarily answer the premise of this thread - i.e. an export that is considered a national specialty abroad, but one that locals do not quite care for. :P

Eddie Teach

My grandparents owned a Buick. Course, they were naturalized Canucks.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 04, 2011, 02:49:32 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 03, 2011, 06:38:00 PM
Now that you mention it, every McDonald's I've ever seen overseas was packed with people.

I live in New York so...

Anyway, you also have a lot of awful Americans that travel abroad and then only want to eat the "familiar." :x

I don't think that's it. In Poland McDonald's are filled mainly with Poles, and the places are usually quite packed.

It's not the situation from the early 90s (when people would go to McDonald's for a "Sunday family dinner"  :yuk: ) but they are still quite popular. I am not sure if this is because there are not that many of them (there are 258 McDonald's restaurants in Poland, according to the website I just checked, I don't know if this is a lot or not, with over 30 million Poles), or because they still attract people with their "American" appeal (admittedly, people just go to McDonald's now to have a quick meal, not to "go out"), or because you don't have many places where you can have a meal for a relatively low price like that especially in cities like Warsaw, so a lot of poor people go there.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2011, 02:54:52 AM

What I meant this does not necessarily answer the premise of this thread - i.e. an export that is considered a national specialty abroad, but one that locals do not quite care for. :P

I don't think there's really such a thing, except the warning signs along the roads for moose. They were huge a decade or two ago among German tourists.
Jarlsberg I guess is bigger abroad than in Norway. Smoked salmon is a luxury some places, while here it's cheaper than bacon.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Martinus on August 04, 2011, 02:59:37 AM

I don't think that's it. In Poland McDonald's are filled mainly with Poles, and the places are usually quite packed.

It's not the situation from the early 90s (when people would go to McDonald's for a "Sunday family dinner"  :yuk: ) but they are still quite popular. I am not sure if this is because there are not that many of them (there are 258 McDonald's restaurants in Poland, according to the website I just checked, I don't know if this is a lot or not, with over 30 million Poles), or because they still attract people with their "American" appeal (admittedly, people just go to McDonald's now to have a quick meal, not to "go out"), or because you don't have many places where you can have a meal for a relatively low price like that especially in cities like Warsaw, so a lot of poor people go there.

Well, from my personal experience are the McD's in Polland better than here in Denmark. Fast and with good service, not something you will ever find at a McD here in Denmark...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on August 04, 2011, 03:28:30 AM

I don't think there's really such a thing, except the warning signs along the roads for moose. They were huge a decade or two ago among German tourists.
Jarlsberg I guess is bigger abroad than in Norway. Smoked salmon is a luxury some places, while here it's cheaper than bacon.

Possibly influenced by the fact that with a lot of Norwegian produce the quality stuff is exported while the B-assortment gets consumed by the dumb fucking natives.

"So what are we going to do with all this stuff the buyers refuse because of the poor quality?"  :cry:

"Don't worry, we'll repackage it, call it 'ecological', and increase the price." :uffda:

Norgy

Some of the salmon and trout sold here is for the lack of a better word "asplutly aplanling".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Norgy on August 04, 2011, 03:28:30 AM

Same with Norwegian cod/clip fish I guess.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2011, 12:31:33 AMCouldn't come up with food/drink, but for Germany: weapons and weapons technology. Unpopular in Germany (like most things military), popular with regimes around the world.
Big infrastructure projects is another one. We are quite good at building airports, bridges, tunnels or big industrial plants, but thanks to NIMBYism you can't really build those at home anymore. 

Brazen

Lipton's Yellow Label tea  :x

In every hotel room in every country on the world, but makes a far too plishy cuppa for British tastes.