What's your country's "national" specialty that is mostly exported?

Started by Martinus, August 03, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on August 04, 2011, 04:40:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2011, 12:31:33 AMCouldn't come up with food/drink, but for Germany: weapons and weapons technology. Unpopular in Germany (like most things military), popular with regimes around the world.
Big infrastructure projects is another one. We are quite good at building airports, bridges, tunnels or big industrial plants, but thanks to NIMBYism you can't really build those at home anymore.

That explains why the ICE is faster in France than in Germany with less(er)  high-speed lines to add insult to injury.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Legbiter

Fish, aluminum, quirky bands. Oh, and let's not forget horrendous banking collapses mixed with ash.  :lol: :Embarrass:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

One thing I was surprised to hear that a Polish chocolate bar called "Prince Polo" (which dates back to the communist era so no, it doesn't need to make sense in English) is apparently very popular in Iceland.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Eddie Teach

Bullfighting is pretty much non-existent in most countries. I don't think you're understanding the question right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Cecil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 04, 2011, 08:21:55 AM
Bullfighting is pretty much non-existent in most countries. I don't think you're understanding the question right.

And is seen as a negative thing around here.

The Brain

Quote from: Cecil on August 04, 2011, 08:26:01 AM

And is seen as a negative thing around here.

Because it's non-existing?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

As far as I know there are or have been fights in France, Portugal and some Latinoamerican countries. The concept itself is well-known around the world.

Yet I've never seen one. And neither have most of my friends. The only time a bullfighter is on the news is when he's received a gruesome injury.

The Larch

It's recognized worldwide as typically Spanish but not very popular at home, I'd say that it fits the bill.

Drakken

Poutine, of course. Not the Vladimir kind. And cute little starlets. We even intruded in Mad Men with Jessica Paré.  :P

We stopped dumping exporting our rural dregs in New England by the start of the 20th century.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on August 04, 2011, 09:40:40 AM
As far as I know there are or have been fights in France, Portugal and some Latinoamerican countries. The concept itself is well-known around the world.

Yet I've never seen one. And neither have most of my friends. The only time a bullfighter is on the news is when he's received a gruesome injury.

It's not the same bullfighting (rules are different) in Portugal, though. In France, it's only a recent import (Second Empire) and an ersatz of the Spanish one.

Valmy

Wild west cowboy stuff I guess.

Though I think people still like that crap in the rural areas and strange places like Fort Worth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on August 04, 2011, 10:01:15 AM
Poutine, of course. Not the Vladimir kind. And cute little starlets. We even intruded in Mad Men with Jessica Paré.  :P

We stopped dumping exporting our rural dregs in New England by the start of the 20th century.

I have no idea who eats poutine. Increasingly it is offered, but I've never seen anyone actually order any.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius