United States approves free birth control for women

Started by garbon, August 01, 2011, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/federal-health-department-approves-free-birth-control-women-143218278.html

QuoteU.S. health insurance companies must offer women free birth control and other preventive health care services under Obama administration rules released on Monday, a historic decision supported by family planning groups and opposed by conservative groups.

The rules from the Health and Human Services Department are part of the nation's healthcare overhaul and largely follow recommendations from an advisory group released last month.

The U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, commissioned by the Obama administration, recommended that all U.S.-approved birth control methods -- including the "morning-after pill," taken shortly after intercourse to stop a pregnancy -- be added to the list of preventive health services.

The recommendation faced opposition from conservative and religious groups that balked at using taxpayer money to cover birth control, especially the "morning-after pill."

The guidelines go into effect on Monday, requiring insurers to provide free coverage of preventive care services for women in all new plans beginning in August 2012.

"These historic guidelines are based on science and existing literature and will help ensure women get the preventive health benefits they need," HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.

The HHS added an amendment allowing religious institutions to choose whether to cover contraception services in their insurance. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops had urged the HHS to exclude birth control as a service.

The adoption of the recommendations is a win for organizations such as the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and Planned Parenthood.

"Eliminating cost sharing for these crucial preventive services will make needed care more accessible and will improve the health of millions of women," said Iowa Democratic Senator Tom Harkin, who had urged HHS to accept the report's guidelines.

The health department's guidelines followed the IOM's recommendations to require free screening for gestational diabetes, testing for human papillomavirus in women over 30, counseling for HIV and sexually transmitted infections, lactation counseling, screening for domestic violence and yearly wellness visits.

Research suggests that the public supports adding birth control to the list of services.

A Thomson Reuters/NPR survey in May found 76.6 percent of respondents believe private insurance plans, without government assistance, should cover some or all costs associated with birth control pills.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Now here's something the Teabaggers are really going to go to the mattresses against.

Pardon the pun.

Zoupa

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Condoms and the pill are relatively cheap.  Babies are expensive.  Especially when you factor in the cost of black babies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Fine by me if an insurance company chooses to cover whore pills, but if you're going to try to mandate that they do, grow some balls & put through specific legislation.

Yes, I know Obamacare empowered HHS to do this, but that's just another strike against Obamacare.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 11:56:19 AM
Now here's something the Teabaggers are really going to go to the mattresses against.

Pardon the pun.

Just wait & see what the Bachmann administration does about this LOL
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 12:36:34 PM
Fine by me if an insurance company chooses to cover whore pills

:bleeding:

Seriously dude what the fuck is wrong with you?

In any case while that might be a good policy that strikes me as something that should be mandated by law instead of just mandated through executive order...since, you know, money in involved.

Unless it was mandated by the health care bill which, well, did they not then legislate it with the appropriate amount of testicles?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2011, 12:42:53 PM
In any case while that might be a good policy that strikes me as something that should be mandated by law instead of just mandated through executive order...since, you know, money in involved.

Unless it was mandated by the health care bill which, well, did they not then legislate it with the appropriate amount of testicles?
See, this is what Congress does these days.  They legislate ambiguously, and then they're able to rage against the president during their reelection campaigns.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2011, 12:42:53 PM
:bleeding:

Seriously dude what the fuck is wrong with you?

I just like the reaction I get from using that term ;)

Quote from: NeilSee, this is what Congress does these days.  They legislate ambiguously, and then they're able to rage against the president during their reelection campaigns.

Except that this legislation was passed by a Democrat-controlled congress and it caused several members of congress to get voted out :D

Ancient Demon

It will actually save the government a great amount of money to subsidize birth control among the lower classes. A fiscal conservative should not be opposed to this.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 12:55:18 PM
Except that this legislation was passed by a Democrat-controlled congress and it caused several members of congress to get voted out :D

Meh.  That always happens when a party does something no matter how ambigous.  Hence the inceasing wimpiness of Congress and the dangerous turn over of power to the executive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 01, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
It will actually save the government a great amount of money to subsidize birth control among the lower classes. A fiscal conservative should not be opposed to this.

Indeed.  But I would rather controversial cultural issues like this be handled on a local level.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 12:55:18 PM
I just like the reaction I get from using that term ;)

Careful.  That road leads to Slargosian side.