Technological experiences current youths won't make anymore

Started by Syt, July 27, 2011, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 11:28:10 AM
Just this week a regulatory body failed to communicate its decision to all the parties using email because they didnt use someone's propery email address.  That is just one of many things that can go wrong with email.

With a fax you know immediately if it didnt go through to the intended recipient - but I suppose this is one of those technological things that is lost on younger people.
A correctly configured email server will also inform you that it couldn't deliver an email. But I suppose this is one of those technological things that is lost on older people.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 27, 2011, 07:40:09 PM
When I escaped the NE of England, back in the 70s, I worked for a few weeks at the Ford plant in Dagenham (East London). An amazing experience. Spent a couple of hours a day churning out car parts, the rest of the time was spent playing cards in the changing room and buying/selling things there. I'm sure this was not what the shareholders of Ford had intended when they made their large investment (about 40,000 employees at it's peak)...................what were they thinking of  :hmm: ?
I'm sure they got all sorts of breaks from Labour in exchange for not laying everybody off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2011, 06:17:27 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2011, 02:23:22 PMMy work recently installed MS Office Communicator for everyone, which is basically work-sanctioned IM. Pretty handy.

Yeah, that thing is great.  I am: BUSY

Also great in that you get to diss co-workers you don't like by refusing to let them add you as a contact.

What's not so great: people who add 'notes' to their statuses with some empty inspirational phrase.  And have their font set to red 22pt. italicized comic sans serif.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 12:47:10 PM
:D In lawyerland actual communication isn't important. Good thing they don't operate nuclear plants.

In nuclearland actual communication is, I assume, not wondering if someone has recieved an email the plant is about to melt down.

I doubt that they fax communications to each other if the plant is about to melt down--getting a fax confirmation seems something to check a box on a legal formality but not much else.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014