Technological experiences current youths won't make anymore

Started by Syt, July 27, 2011, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on July 28, 2011, 07:48:17 AM
I remember a summer job I had back in 88 or 89 and being in awe of the fax machine. "I just got a fax from Finland!"

Heh, my mother worked for a British company since the mid 70s and when she started they didn't even have a direct phone line to their offices, phone calls had to be routed through the nearest village switchboard operator and getting a call to or from their central offices was a small odissey. Then they got a switchboard operator for their company alone. Then at some point in the early 80s they got a telex and my mother swears that everybody was amazed at such a technological breakthrough.

garbon

The business cards for my company list a fax number along with our direct lines. However, no one actually knows if there is actually a fax machine somewhere connected to that number.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

My card lists a direct fixed line number, but in the 3,5 years I've been here I have never had a phone on my desk. I asume that anyone calling the number is autodirected to my cell without ever having been through a land line :D

V

Brazen

Today's youth have never had to wait five minutes for the TV to warm up, watched just three channels, have broadcast finish at the end of the night then switched it off until just a white dot and the smell of static remains. Or have to wait three weeks for a repair man to turn up with a new valve.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2011, 08:34:21 AM
The business cards for my company list a fax number along with our direct lines. However, no one actually knows if there is actually a fax machine somewhere connected to that number.

I still use a fax machine pretty heavily.  I have an electronic fax number to receive incoming faxes & send them to my email address as PDF attachments.  But as I lack a scanner at my desk, I often have to use our ancient POS fax machine.

We have several clients who do not have voicemail-- that is a major pain in the ass.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Warspite

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2011, 11:06:15 PM
Young people today don't know what it's like to get 5 AOL CDs in a month in mail.

Yes. Now I have to pay for my drinks coasters.  <_<
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

In my experience only the third world (the US and Africa) used fax machines after 2000.

Hell a colleague even came across a US government form that had to be filled out with a typewriter. Who the fuck has had a typewriter since the 80s? Luckily we worked at an old company and he could find one in the basement.

US = laughing stock.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 09:34:53 AM
In my experience only the third world (the US and Africa) used fax machines after 2000.

Hell a colleague even came across a US government form that had to be filled out with a typewriter. Who the fuck has had a typewriter since the 80s? Luckily we worked at an old company and he could find one in the basement.

US = laughing stock.
Please type = block letters FYI

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on July 28, 2011, 09:54:55 AM

US = laughing stock.
Please type = block letters FYI

:P

:D Well I suppose it's possible that he's a complete moron.

garbon

US = laughing stock.

I only use a scanner at work. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 28, 2011, 07:48:17 AM
I remember a summer job I had back in 88 or 89 and being in awe of the fax machine. "I just got a fax from Finland!"

Had to laugh, I remember the first time I saw a fax.  I think it was 87 or 88.  A professor brought in a lengthy fax he had recieved from Australia overnight.  He was very excited about the new technology and told us it would change the world.

crazy canuck

US = laughing stock.

I suppose if you dont care about knowing for certain that the communication was recieved you would not use a fax.  But in most of the civilized world things like being certain a communication was recieved and having the ability to demonstrate that fact still count for something.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 10:38:17 AM

US = laughing stock.

I suppose if you dont care about knowing for certain that the communication was recieved you would not use a fax.  But in most of the civilized world things like being certain a communication was recieved and having the ability to demonstrate that fact still count for something.

OK, Luddite.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 10:38:17 AM

US = laughing stock.

When I send a document in the e-mail, the recipient can write me back that they got it.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on July 28, 2011, 08:42:20 AM
Today's youth have never [. . .] watched just three channels, have broadcast finish at the end of the night [. . .]

Good one. Hell, it was a major occasion when tv showed Ben Hur or Dr Zhivago.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.