Technological experiences current youths won't make anymore

Started by Syt, July 27, 2011, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

When someone needs proof that I have read something (safety plans for example) I sign on a piece of paper or electronically. I guess that's the same in Brain's case.

I've never, ever heard of proving something just by firing away a simple fax. Then again, I too work as an engineer, not a lawyer.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 12:47:10 PM
:D In lawyerland actual communication isn't important. Good thing they don't operate nuclear plants.

In nuclearland actual communication is, I assume, not wondering if someone has recieved an email the plant is about to melt down.

People typically reply to my e-mails and if they don't...screw 'em.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

I just realised I am probably one of the last people of my family at least to own a whetstone. And an axe, a saw, and a fully supplied tool box. It's not that I am such an immensely practical person, but my generation was perhaps the last to be taught how to use tools properly. Which also accounts for a lot of weird book shelves, mirrors that won't hang properly and general carpentry-gone-wrong.

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2011, 01:12:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 12:47:10 PM
:D In lawyerland actual communication isn't important. Good thing they don't operate nuclear plants.

In nuclearland actual communication is, I assume, not wondering if someone has recieved an email the plant is about to melt down.

People typically reply to my e-mails and if they don't...screw 'em.

I'm pretty sure it's proper e-mail etiquette to send a response. I know I get mad if I don't get at least an "Okay" or "Thanks". People need to learn to close the loop on issues.

My work recently installed MS Office Communicator for everyone, which is basically work-sanctioned IM. Pretty handy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2011, 01:14:36 PM
I just realised I am probably one of the last people of my family at least to own a whetstone. And an axe, a saw, and a fully supplied tool box. It's not that I am such an immensely practical person, but my generation was perhaps the last to be taught how to use tools properly. Which also accounts for a lot of weird book shelves, mirrors that won't hang properly and general carpentry-gone-wrong.

I've a tool box although until recently it had a garlic press in it. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

I've got a few tools in the car, but I'm not stupid enough to use them unless strictly necessary. That's what the pros are for.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2011, 02:42:56 PM

Now that is the kind of tool I person needs.

Malthus

Heh, here in Canada some people I know are seriously into what I could call "hand tool fanboism" - that is, getting seriously into buying really expensive hand-tools for doing jobs generally done by power tools these days.

Check out the Lee Valley catelogue.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/Index.aspx?is=L
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2011, 02:23:22 PM

I'm pretty sure it's proper e-mail etiquette to send a response. I know I get mad if I don't get at least an "Okay" or "Thanks". People need to learn to close the loop on issues.
[/quote]

You would think? I'm like you on that; and I get very frustrated when people don't reply.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

At MSN/Microsoft, we had a small sticker on our laptops with a few Achtungs about e-mail etiquette.

From memory.

"E-mails marked with a red ! and addressed to you are to be responded to ASAP and demand action from you
E-mails sent to you with your name in the To field are sent to demand response and action from you
E-mails sent to you with your name in the Copy field are for your information, but may require action later"

People sent a lot of e-mails. And then angry phone calls were made. I felt really bad for Sue in Dublin.

Pedrito

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2011, 12:41:15 PM
Technical stuff kids of today probably won't encounter/experience anymore - unlike most of us here:

- dropping off a photographic film for development

My kids take pictures with disposable film cameras.

What they *really* enjoy is using an old instant camera I took out of a box in the attic: they absolutely love to take a photo and see it develop in a minute or so, from blank square to fully exposed picture.

About televisions: in my youth days, we had a TV without remote control. Gosh, what a war with my sister to decide who would rise from the couch and change channel.  :D

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Slargos

:lol:

I recall our first VCR. It had a remote connected via a cable. Funny as balls, thinking back on it.

CountDeMoney

They'll have my rotary phones and my typewriters when they pry away my cold, dead fingers.

My Dad's basement is a museum full of racks of dot-matrix printers, 2400 baud modems, Tandy computers and VCRs. Hell, he still has my grandfather's top-loading VCR from the late '70s. It's the size of a Chevy Caprice.

I fired up my Odyssey2 video system last summer.  Still fucking works.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2011, 02:42:56 PM

I've got a pink tool box. That's not a euphemism.

Every woman should own a power drill.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2011, 02:23:22 PMMy work recently installed MS Office Communicator for everyone, which is basically work-sanctioned IM. Pretty handy.

Yeah, that thing is great.  I am: BUSY