United States approves free birth control for women

Started by garbon, August 01, 2011, 11:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2011, 01:04:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 12:55:18 PM
I just like the reaction I get from using that term ;)

Careful.  That road leads to Slargosian side.

Meh.  That would have happened by now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 01, 2011, 01:02:34 PM
It will actually save the government a great amount of money to subsidize birth control among the lower classes. A fiscal conservative should not be opposed to this.

That assumes the lower classes would make use of it.  Most of them can already do so for free or almost free from semi-private organizations like Planned Parenthood.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 01:10:53 PM

Is there some an established half-life for when forum members becomes a raving lunatic? :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2011, 01:27:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2011, 01:10:53 PM

Is there some an established half-life for when forum members becomes a raving lunatic? :hmm:

Dunno.  I'm just saying it would've happened by now in my case.

alfred russel

I think free birth control is a great idea, but it feels wrong to have medical insurance cover something where medically speaking there isn't a problem (and the risk you are preventing is that things work as they should). Probably the easiest way to distribute free birth control though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

We should legislate mandatory facials instead.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Martinus

Incidentally, supporting free birth control is probably me at my most altruistic. :P

dps

It will actually save the government a great amount of money to subsidize birth control among the lower classes.

Except, as I understand it, the government isn't subsidizing it--the government is requiring the insurance companies to subsidize it.  Though the article is rather ambiguous on that point.  This:
QuoteThe guidelines go into effect on Monday, requiring insurers to provide free coverage of preventive care services for women in all new plans beginning in August 2012.
seems to be saying that it's the insurance companies that would be doing the subsidizing, but this:
QuoteThe recommendation faced opposition from conservative and religious groups that balked at using taxpayer money to cover birth control
would seem to imply it's the government.

Quote from: alfred russell
I think free birth control is a great idea, but it feels wrong to have medical insurance cover something where medically speaking there isn't a problem (and the risk you are preventing is that things work as they should). 

On a certain level, I don't think that insurance should be required to cover anything that's elective, such as pregnancy, non-reconstrutive plastic surgery, etc.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on August 01, 2011, 02:53:53 PM
On a certain level, I don't think that insurance should be required to cover anything that's elective, such as pregnancy, non-reconstrutive plastic surgery, etc.
I agree, it's absurd to have insurance cover anything that's elective, the model simply won't work like that.  The purpose of insurance is to cover against chance events.  That's also why it's absurd to have a healthcare system based entirely on insurance.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2011, 01:27:54 PM

I would suggest trolling the forum is a sign of boredom rather than lunacy.

Kind of refreshing to see one that was actually successful, we've generally become so blase.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

It will actually save the government a great amount of money to subsidize birth control among the lower classes. A fiscal conservative should not be opposed to this.
The problem with this is that the lower classes aren't all that interested in birth control.  More chilluns gits me more TANF, yo! :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 01, 2011, 05:55:18 PM
The problem with this is that the lower classes aren't all that interested in birth control.  More chilluns gits me more TANF, yo! :cool:

Either that or they just don't give a shit either way.