News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most overrated WW2 commander

Started by Threviel, July 28, 2011, 02:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the most overrated commander of WW2?

Rommel
9 (17.3%)
von Manstein
0 (0%)
Guderian
0 (0%)
von Rundstedt
1 (1.9%)
Kesselring
0 (0%)
Montgomery
11 (21.2%)
Slim
0 (0%)
Auchinleck
0 (0%)
Bomber Harris
1 (1.9%)
Cunningham
0 (0%)
de Gaulle
2 (3.8%)
Eisenhower
0 (0%)
MacArthur
7 (13.5%)
Patton
11 (21.2%)
Nimitz
1 (1.9%)
Halsey
0 (0%)
Zhukov
5 (9.6%)
Rokossovsky
0 (0%)
Konev
0 (0%)
Vasilevsky
0 (0%)
Timoshenko
0 (0%)
Chiang Kai-Chek
0 (0%)
Mao
2 (3.8%)
Tito
0 (0%)
Yamashita
0 (0%)
Yamamoto
0 (0%)
Nagumo
0 (0%)
Mannerheim
0 (0%)
Jaron/other
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 12:50:31 PM
Are you "PanzerFanBoi123" on some other boards?

Unlikely, assuming that the name doesn't correspond to an economist working in the Keynesian school.
Why, is he a fan of Zhukov as well?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2011, 12:56:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 12:50:31 PM
Are you "PanzerFanBoi123" on some other boards?

Unlikely, assuming that the name doesn't correspond to an economist working in the Keynesian school.
Why, is he a fan of Zhukov as well?

YES
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I was amused when I saw Monty's tank in the IWM and it had great big letters across the front: F - O - R - D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Does anyone rate Tito as a military commander?

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 11:57:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Drakken on July 28, 2011, 09:31:09 AM
After a heavy pondering that lasted 10 seconds, I went with MacArthur.

Does anyone rate MacArther highly?

Seedy.

I think MacArthur is underrated in some circles, such as Languish.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on July 28, 2011, 01:10:19 PM
Does anyone rate Tito as a military commander?

He led what was the most successful partisan operation of the war, and may have done more good then bad for his people (rare in a communist).  I consider him an impressive figure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2011, 01:15:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 11:57:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2011, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: Drakken on July 28, 2011, 09:31:09 AM
After a heavy pondering that lasted 10 seconds, I went with MacArthur.

Does anyone rate MacArther highly?

Seedy.

I think MacArthur is underrated in some circles, such as Languish.

He was probably underrated by the Chinese as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 01:21:00 PM

He led what was the most successful partisan operation of the war, and may have done more good then bad for his people (rare in a communist).  I consider him an impressive figure.

As a political figure, he is certainly of a great calibre and value. In managing to avoid the Warszaw Pact, too, but as a field commander, I have no idea what he was like.
The operations were small-scale, and while successful both in carving out a liberated territory and in keeping German forces busy, I don't know how much of it was down to Tito's military leadership. He was the commander of the liberation army, of course, so I guess maybe I was the brains.

dps

Voted MacArthur, based just on WWII--the forces in the Philipines getting caught by surprise hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor is pretty inexcusable.  But if you give him credit for Inchon (even if he did overplay his hand after that), then he looks a lot better, and I'd proabably vote for Halsey.  Spruance should have gotten the fifth star, not Halsey.

The Minsky Moment

McArthur, Monty, Halsey all have come under very strong criticism to a degree that has entered even the casual histories, and on that basis I would not include them as candidates for most overrated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on July 28, 2011, 01:40:09 PM
Voted MacArthur, based just on WWII--the forces in the Philipines getting caught by surprise hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor is pretty inexcusable.  But if you give him credit for Inchon (even if he did overplay his hand after that), then he looks a lot better, and I'd proabably vote for Halsey.  Spruance should have gotten the fifth star, not Halsey.

Regarding MacArthur, his performance in Korea I have mixed feelings about (and think he was correct in suggesting the use of nuclear weapons against PRChina), but in retrospect, was there actually any point to anything he did in World War II?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2011, 02:35:32 PM
Regarding MacArthur, his performance in Korea I have mixed feelings about (and think he was correct in suggesting the use of nuclear weapons against PRChina), but in retrospect, was there actually any point to anything he did in World War II?

I have read at least one work that favorably compared his island-hopping reconquest of New Guinea and surrounding areas to the Navy's drive in the central Pacific.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2011, 02:42:55 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2011, 02:35:32 PM

I have read at least one work that favorably compared his island-hopping reconquest of New Guinea and surrounding areas to the Navy's drive in the central Pacific.

I don't mean he did a bad job, but rather am curious if there was a point was to the job itself, in light of the atomic bomb.  I mean, the achievement of the campaign in France, the Low Countries, and western Germany was the preemption of Soviet domination of central as well as eastern Europe.  But the achievement of the Philippines campaign seems far more ambiguous.

This is all hindsight, of course.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)