News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Caprica

Started by Grallon, April 21, 2009, 08:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 21, 2009, 11:39:51 AM
BTW grumbler, I finished watching Babylon 5 last week.  It was wonderful.   :)
Glad you liked it.  Have you seen In the Beginning, or just the series?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

vinraith

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on April 21, 2009, 03:21:55 PM
I saw it one week ago.

Comments:

They explain the "centurion 1 god religion", that is good.
I liked the acting, not *good* but good enough.
They continued the "OH MY GOD CHARACTERS" way of telling a story.
They put teenagers was the center of the action :bleeding:
We did not see any action (well a centurion for 2minutes does not count) :(
I liked the race/religion issues.
I liked seeing Caprica before the fall feeling, all the tecnology vs no tecnology we see in BSG.

I hope they close this arc soon and start seeing some battles or else it will suck...

Space battles? Plot? No, no, no, it's about the erratic, poorly drawn characters stupid!

BuddhaRhubarb

oughta change the name to BSG bash or something for this thread. one small nerd note @ marti - There are no aliens in BSG. none. Everyone is human or robot (cgi not guy in hockey armor) :nerd: :)
:p

Siege

Ok, what's the story for Caprica?

I did not see spaceships and robots in that preview.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2009, 05:50:02 PM

Just the series so far.  Watched a clip of In the Beginning on youtube though, I definitely want to see it.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 21, 2009, 09:21:04 PM
oughta change the name to BSG bash or something for this thread. one small nerd note @ marti - There are no aliens in BSG. none. Everyone is human or robot (cgi not guy in hockey armor) :nerd: :)

Well, there's also Angels.

And possibly Aliens if what Starbuck drew was the Ship of Light.

vinraith

Based on what happened before, I'll pass on what's happening again.

katmai

Starbuck is Face you douchebags.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Siege on April 21, 2009, 09:38:37 PM
Ok, what's the story for Caprica?

I did not see spaceships and robots in that preview.
No spaceships, maybe a few robots.

The story is about the Adama family and another one wich I forgot the name, debatting over the ethical issues of creating human looking Cylons.  Adama's grandfather is a lawyer, the other one is a scientists.  Both men lost a daughter in a terrorist attack by religious fanatics.  The scientist is trying to recreate his daughter in a robot's body.

It was supposed to be about the birth of the Cylons, so to speak, and I haven't seen Caprica yet, but frankly, I fail to see the point of this after it was revealed that skinjobs came from Earth and travelled back to Caprica to recreate new skinjobs.

Maybe there'll be some twists about the characters...  I don't know.  I don't feel like I should be watching this.  I felt let down by BSG two last seasons, and for this, I cannot rank it as one of the best thing to have happenned on tv.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2009, 09:59:45 AM

It was supposed to be about the birth of the Cylons, so to speak, and I haven't seen Caprica yet, but frankly, I fail to see the point of this after it was revealed that skinjobs came from Earth and travelled back to Caprica to recreate new skinjobs.

So I watched it last night...  Since most of you have decided you won't bother watching I'll go all spoilery right away.

As Viper said, the story begins on Caprica 58 years before the Fall and is centered around the patriarchs of two families: Daniel Greystone (who might 'possibly' become the hybrid seen in Razor) and Joseph Adams.  The former is a wealthy techno-industrialist trying to conceive the next generation of military hardware for the Defense Ministry while the latter is a lawyer of Tauron origins with links to a powerful crime syndicate.   We learn the Taurons are despised in Caprican society as fanatics & criminals.  That is in fact why Yussef Adama changed his name to Joseph Adams when he emmigrated on Caprica. 

Around these two gravitate their families: Greystone's wife, a doctor, and his daughter Zoe, who we learn has inherited all of her father's genius in software engineering, and more.  On the Adama's side there's the wife, a daughter named Tamara and a son, 11 yo William (the future Admiral).

As mentioned before, Greystone's company is trying to develop new weaponry, specifically a cybernetic warrior.  However while the mechanical parts are fine, the software is lacking.  But we soon discover a Tauron corporation has developped a revolutionary processor and is biding on the defense contract as well.  Meanwhile cute little Zoe (which I suspect some here would gladly ass fuck) spends all her time in virtual worlds with her friends, mostly in a sordid club where 'anything goes': murder, sacrifices, rape and, tough luck for you Marty, lots of sweaty boobs.  There we also meet another Zoe...  A perfect duplicate created by Greystone's daughter.  It turns out Zoe is also a members of the "Soldiers of the One", a group of religious monotheist fanatics.

Some days later Zoe and her boyfriend take the (mag)lev leaving Caprica City in order to board a space liner outbound for Geminon, where the cult is based.  However before the train is out of the city Zoe's strapping young studdling reveals he's strapped up with explosives and proceeds to blow half the passengers (along with Adama's wife and daughter) in the name of 'the One True God'...  We don't know why either of them joined in the first place.  All we know is that she had a revelation...

Devastated, both men meet at a police press conference and spend that rest of the day reminiscing. 

Later, Greystone discovers Zoe' secret: that replica of hers hidden away in th VR club.  From then on he becomes obsessed with bringning back to life his daughter.  He enlists Joseph Adams and prevails upon him to use his 'connections' with the crime syndicate to steal the super microchip developped on Tauron.

During one of his meeting with his 'synthetic' daughter he manages to copy the source code and after getting the chip from Adama, he transfers it onto it and then insert the chip into the body of his mechanical soldier, complete with flashing red eye...   Later, at a meeting with the Defense Minister, the new cyborg demonstrates how deadly it is.  That is how the first sentient Cylon (which stands fro CYber Life-fOrm Node) was created on Caprica. 

I'm left wondering how they'll spin a series out of this, despite the numerous unanswered questions such as where do the 'Soldiers of Light' come from.  As it stands now, the pilot would have made a nice background episode between seasons of BSG.  In fact the involvement of Jospeh Adama in the creation of the first artificial intelligence gives all the more weight to the Admiral's words in the mini series : we can't wash away the tings we have done...

All in all it wasn't bad, partly with the advantage of hindsight given by BSG.  And yet that may very well be the cause of its failure: people might keep on comparing both shows and trying to find links that aren't likely to be there most of the time.

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 21, 2009, 11:45:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2009, 05:50:02 PM

Just the series so far.  Watched a clip of In the Beginning on youtube though, I definitely want to see it.
If you are not ready to spring for the whole movie set anytime soon, there is a cheapo double-sided DVD with ItB on eBay for a song.  No extras at all (not even commentary) but it does have the movies.  It was WB's market test to see if there was still interest in B5, so they didn't spend any money on it, but it is cheap.

And the movie itself is as good on a no-frills CD as on anything else.  You will be surprised, though, at the crudeness of the pilot movie (which won the special-effects Emmy that year anyway!  :lol:)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I'm in the process of watching through Babylon 5.  Well, watching seasons 2-5 at least.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Babylon 5 never caught with me.
Production values were too low.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"