News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Caprica

Started by Grallon, April 21, 2009, 08:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: vinraith on April 21, 2009, 10:42:24 AM
a spot somewhere below Voyager on my all-time SF show list.

:angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

vinraith

Quote from: Grallon on April 21, 2009, 11:06:21 AM
BSG started off as among the most promising SF shows I've ever seen, and by its ending had managed to drag the entire series down to a spot somewhere below Voyager on my all-time SF show list. Why on Earth would I want to go through that again?

Because it's a different beast altogether.  And because for all its faults in the end, BSG remain one the best thing to have aired on TV.  Finally rejecting something unknown out of hand is... unworthy of an inquisitive mind such as yours  ;)  But then again you're entirely free to deprive yourself *shrug*

G.

Suspect shows don't get watched in real time, they get watched on DVD when and if I hear they ended well. I think the likelihood of that in this case is nearly zero, but if I find I'm wrong I'm happy to play catch up. Hell, that's how I've seen many of my favorite shows. Watching serial TV on a one-ep-per-week basis is kind of agonizing anyway...

vinraith

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2009, 11:10:09 AM
a spot somewhere below Voyager on my all-time SF show list.

:angry:

Voyager at least knew it was a piece of crap. Self-aware self-parody wins out over oblivious pretension any day of the week.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on April 21, 2009, 11:06:21 AM
Because it's a different beast altogether.  And because for all its faults in the end, BSG remain one the best thing to have aired on TV.  Finally rejecting something unknown out of hand is... unworthy of an inquisitive mind such as yours  ;)  But then again you're entirely free to deprive yourself *shrug*
And you're free to delude yourself.  The new BSG was an abomination.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 21, 2009, 10:24:24 AM
Point 2:  After the series ended so badly, I'm surprised to see the usual suspects lining up for another shot.
I'm not surprised at all.  I am mildly curious as to whether they insist that BSG was not bad is because they are clueless, or because they don't have the intellectual honesty to admit they were wrong, after going so far out on a limb.

I guess I can live with never knowing the answer to that.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2009, 11:13:41 AM
Voyager is god!
Indeed.  And shuttle craft were the children of the god, a new one being born each week.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2009, 11:37:41 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2009, 11:13:41 AM
Voyager is god!
Indeed.  And shuttle craft were the children of the god, a new one being born each week.

:lol:

Replicator technology is awesome!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

BTW grumbler, I finished watching Babylon 5 last week.  It was wonderful.   :)

Grallon

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2009, 11:36:39 AM
I'm not surprised at all.  I am mildly curious as to whether they insist that BSG was not bad is because they are clueless, or because they don't have the intellectual honesty to admit they were wrong, after going so far out on a limb.

You know it just striked me that almost every one of your posts has a comment about how others don't get this or that.  We'll just have to add delusions of grandeur to your usual pettiness and mean spirited attitude it seems.  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2009, 11:37:41 AM

BSG solved that problem by having a token episode about using spare parts to build a super spy ship (to boost the fighter capacity) and then once it was destroyed, there was no longer an issue about too few fighters.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Grallon on April 21, 2009, 09:43:51 AM
Since a version will no doubt be available on torrent tomorrow I'll have a look.  Although considering SciFi's history with horrendous scheduling, I'm dubious about boarding that train to see it drawn out of all shape.  Still it might be good.

G.

been available for torrent since last week. keep up.

I for one liked it quite a bit. It seems to not jibe with any of the BSG storylines, but I liked it anyway. Centurions talk like Centurions! :w00t:
:p

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 21, 2009, 12:39:33 PMIt seems to not jibe with any of the BSG storylines, but I liked it anyway. Centurions talk like Centurions! :w00t:

BSG storylines don't jibe with BSG storylines.