News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Overrated President

Started by Kleves, July 23, 2011, 03:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the most overrated of them all?

Jefferson
2 (3.9%)
TR
1 (2%)
FDR
9 (17.6%)
Truman
3 (5.9%)
JFK
10 (19.6%)
Reagan
20 (39.2%)
Bush I
0 (0%)
Clinton
2 (3.9%)
Other
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

You know who is overrated, but left out of the Poll.  Jackson.  The guy was like a god to Democrats for decades (and is considered the founder of the Democratic Party).  Truman considered him the best, and Jackson was terrible.  His actions on the trail of tears verge on dictatorial control (beside the unjustness and wickedness of the act), he advocated policy based on personal grudges and killed the Bank of the United States  which destroy the US economy.  He was beloved by many, and might be considered the first "populist" president.  He is often associated with widening enfranchisement in the US, though I don't know how much he actually had to do with it.  I give him credit for preventing civil war in the nullification crisis as his enemies knew he had a few screws loose and when he stated that he would hang them, they believed it.  A Civil War in 1830's could have actually favored the South, or at least diminished the advantages of the North.

We don't have a list of underrated Presidents.  Polk and Taft would be good candidates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2011, 07:55:52 PM
I give him credit for preventing civil war in the nullification crisis as his enemies knew he had a few screws loose and when he stated that he would hang them, they believed it.

LOL, the quotation (from Wikipedia): "Jackson would have the final words a few days later when a visitor from South Carolina asked if Jackson had any message he wanted relayed to his friends back in the state. Jackson's reply was:

'Yes I have; please give my compliments to my friends in your State and say to them, that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach.'"

Obama needs to pull a page out of Jackson's book.   :ph34r: :showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

You know who is overrated, but left out of the Poll.  Jackson.  The guy was like a god to Democrats for decades (and is considered the founder of the Democratic Party).  Truman considered him the best, and Jackson was terrible.  His actions on the trail of tears verge on dictatorial control (beside the unjustness and wickedness of the act), he advocated policy based on personal grudges and killed the Bank of the United States  which destroy the US economy.  He was beloved by many, and might be considered the first "populist" president.  He is often associated with widening enfranchisement in the US, though I don't know how much he actually had to do with it.  I give him credit for preventing civil war in the nullification crisis as his enemies knew he had a few screws loose and when he stated that he would hang them, they believed it.  A Civil War in 1830's could have actually favored the South, or at least diminished the advantages of the North.

No, I don't disagree at all.  Jackson was a bad, bad president, but I can't help but admire how he threatened to destroy South Carolina, which, as you know, is a treasured dream of my own.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 08:11:02 PM

No, I don't disagree at all.  Jackson was a bad, bad president, but I can't help but admire how he threatened to destroy South Carolina, which, as you know, is a treasured dream of my own.

Save Charleston for me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 25, 2011, 08:08:45 PM
I give him credit for preventing civil war in the nullification crisis as his enemies knew he had a few screws loose and when he stated that he would hang them, they believed it.

LOL, the quotation (from Wikipedia): "Jackson would have the final words a few days later when a visitor from South Carolina asked if Jackson had any message he wanted relayed to his friends back in the state. Jackson's reply was:

'Yes I have; please give my compliments to my friends in your State and say to them, that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach.'"

Obama needs to pull a page out of Jackson's book.   :ph34r: :showoff:

Oh, yeah.  You didn't fuck with Jackson.  When a would-be assassin tried to kill him, Jackson started to kicked his ass.  His closest friend was Thomas Heart Benton, who had  once shot Jackson.  When a Man insulted Jackson's wife, he challenged the guy to a duel (and the guy was considered one of the finest duelists in the country).  He shot Jackson, and Jackson just stood there aimed his gun, and killed the man.  He later said he would have shot the guy even if he been first shot through the brain.  He's one of the most interesting presidents, that 's for certain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 25, 2011, 08:13:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 08:11:02 PM

Save Charleston for me.

Well, I meant as a political entity, but I'd spare Charleston anyway since my sister lives there. :P
Kinemalogue

AnchorClanker

I'm torn between Wilson and JFK. 
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on July 25, 2011, 09:23:14 PM
I'm torn between Wilson and JFK. 

In high school, they presented us with Wilson being too idealistic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Wilson's got all the good faults. Terrible foreign policy, terrible domestic policy, and he was an extreme racist and supporter of the Ku Klux Klan.

He was like a white Barack Obama, essentially.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2011, 08:15:48 PM
He later said he would have shot the guy even if he been first shot through the brain.
He may have even believed it himself, but I doubt he would be able to carry out that intention had he been indeed shot through the brain.  Having your brain destroyed not only plays a number on your motor skills, but more often than not it leads to near-instantaneous unconsciousness.  He would neither be able to shoot accurately, or even pull the trigger at all.  Jackson was lucky that he wasn't shot through the brain.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 26, 2011, 01:28:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2011, 08:15:48 PM
He later said he would have shot the guy even if he been first shot through the brain.
He may have even believed it himself, but I doubt he would be able to carry out that intention had he been indeed shot through the brain.  Having your brain destroyed not only plays a number on your motor skills, but more often than not it leads to near-instantaneous unconsciousness.  He would neither be able to shoot accurately, or even pull the trigger at all.  Jackson was lucky that he wasn't shot through the brain.

Remember that we only use 3% of the brain.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2011, 10:43:29 PM
Wilson's got all the good faults. Terrible foreign policy, terrible domestic policy, and he was an extreme racist and supporter of the Ku Klux Klan.

What part of Obama's foreign policy do you disagree with?  You're a great deal too smart to engage in this Hansian bullshit seriously. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on July 26, 2011, 02:14:37 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2011, 10:43:29 PM

What part of Obama's foreign policy do you disagree with?  You're a great deal too smart to engage in this Hansian bullshit seriously.
I think that last sentence was a joke.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point