Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 14, 2011, 08:59:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2011, 08:28:57 AM
Met a young Norwegian woman of Chinese ethnicity on the plane back to Korea. ^_^
No, you met a young Chinese woman.
:rolleyes: Take you're outdated ethnocentric identity theories and shove them up your ass.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2011, 09:35:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 14, 2011, 08:59:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2011, 08:28:57 AM
Met a young Norwegian woman of Chinese ethnicity on the plane back to Korea. ^_^
No, you met a young Chinese woman.
:rolleyes: Take you're outdated ethnocentric identity theories and shove them up your ass.
I rather think not.  Take your naiveté about Chinese spies and club yourself to death with it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftenposten.no%2Fnyheter%2Firiks%2Farticle4201022.ece

Breivik's rights abrogated. Interesting development.  :hmm:

QuoteThe Oslo District 25  July terror accused Anders Behring Breivik imposed complete isolation for four weeks, until 22  August.   By law it is only possible to isolate a maximum of two weeks at the first prison meeting.
  This means that the terrorist accused of 5  August has been illegally isolated in Ila prison and detention institution.  Overall he got two weeks longer insulation than the law allows.
   District Court judge who had the matter admits to Aftenposten that it  committed an error during incarceration meeting, which went behind  closed doors.
  -  It is true that the detention ruling contains an error after the  Supreme Court practice that no one was aware of the hearing, said Judge  Kim Heger.
   In 2005, beating the Supreme Court determined that it is not possible  to isolate some of the more than two weeks in detention the first  meeting.   The Supreme Court wrote that the wording of the insulation provision  only open for four weeks of isolation "by extension of an already  decided isolation."
  The court therefore can not impose a four-week isolation until at least the second imprisonment meeting.  Heger said he first became aware of the ruling of the Supreme Court a few days ago.

Strike #27 for "more openness and more democracy"  :D

Neil

It'd be funny if he walked on a technicality.  But then again, these are Euro courts.  They'll overlook any improper procedures by the system, but at least he won't spend long in prison either.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2011, 06:15:24 PM
It'd be funny if he walked on a technicality.  But then again, these are Euro courts.  They'll overlook any improper procedures by the system, but at least he won't spend long in prison either.

If he ever gets out short of a weimar style regime change or escape (or said extremely unlikely technicality), I will consume a platter of something technically edible but extremely vile of your choosing.

No, he will get sentenced to storage. Mark my words.

Viking

You really don't understand Norway. Here, if the consensus is that the final result is fair, then rules can be ignored. He won't be released because of this, his confession will not be tossed because of this and nobody will care that his rights have been breached. The reaction is "whoops".

The really bad problem is that if present rules are followed and he shows contrition and there is no risk for repetition he will be out in at little as 10 years.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2011, 06:21:35 PM

You really don't understand Norway. Here, if the consensus is that the final result is fair, then rules can be ignored. He won't be released because of this, his confession will not be tossed because of this and nobody will care that his rights have been breached. The reaction is "whoops".

The really bad problem is that if present rules are followed and he shows contrition and there is no risk for repetition he will be out in at little as 10 years.

Had this been an act of islamic terrorism, you might very well be correct but with this guy? No.

Viking

Quote from: Slargos on August 16, 2011, 06:24:24 PM

Had this been an act of islamic terrorism, you might very well be correct but with this guy? No.

you did notice my use of "if present rules are followed"

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2011, 06:30:26 PM

As far as I'm aware, a storage sentence is well within "present rules" although I guess if you stress recidivism there is of course the possibility that he is eventually judged rehabilitated. I seriously doubt it, however.

Viking

Quote from: Slargos on August 16, 2011, 06:37:35 PM

As far as I'm aware, a storage sentence is well within "present rules" although I guess if you stress recidivism there is of course the possibility that he is eventually judged rehabilitated. I seriously doubt it, however.

Under the present rules he will be automatically eligible for early release after 2/3 term served, at that point the only considerations according to the law are contrition and chance of recidivism. The only real difference between prison and storage is that the prisoner must meet the terms for early release after the full term is served. Basically storage means that rather than being automatically released after the full term the prisoner must meet the terms for early release to be released after the full term. A contrite and well behaved prisoner can be released after 2/3 of the storage term, just like he could after 2/3 of the prison term. This being norway political considerations will be taken into account when the supposedly independent "Kriminalomsorgen" (criminal care service) decide if he is to get early release.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2011, 06:51:20 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 16, 2011, 06:37:35 PM

Under the present rules he will be automatically eligible for early release after 2/3 term served, at that point the only considerations according to the law are contrition and chance of recidivism. The only real difference between prison and storage is that the prisoner must meet the terms for early release after the full term is served. Basically storage means that rather than being automatically released after the full term the prisoner must meet the terms for early release to be released after the full term. A contrite and well behaved prisoner can be released after 2/3 of the storage term, just like he could after 2/3 of the prison term. This being norway political considerations will be taken into account when the supposedly independent "Kriminalomsorgen" (criminal care service) decide if he is to get early release.

Then my understanding of the storage concept is more or less on the ball [and using the word "only" to describe the difference is a bit of an understatement], and I don't think anyone would ever dare decide on early release for this guy even discounting political pressure. Lord have mercy on the sitting government if he should be released.

Of course, this being Norway, it would quite probably be taken to strong etterettning and promptly forgotten in 6 months time. So I guess I shouldn't be speaking in such certain terms.  :D

Slargos

Police are making the usual excuses, but they are taking some pretty heavy fire right now.

Apparently the initial response time was about 30 minutes, or three times as high as the regional average response time.

When the first patrol arrived, as I may have mentioned earlier, instead of following protocol which dictates moving in at once if there is a situation like this one they started directing traffic.

Additionally, apparently Breivik called the police several times to give himself up once the police helicopter started hovering over the island, but most of his calls didn't get through, and the one time it did he was apparently not believed nor did the dispatch follow up on it.

Today the frontpages feature a 15 year old girl who apparently called her mother some time after Breivik had talked to the dispatchers (attempting to surrender) and was later found dead.

Can't be much fun to be a press rep right now.  :ph34r:

Edit: Frankly, it looks very bad for them. Travel time according to a map service between the local city center and Utøya is about 19 minutes driving at legal speeds. I wonder what kind of excuses they will make. Perhaps they needed to stop for donuts on the way.  :bowler:

rufweed

Josquius

Wouldn`t a slow response time be expected given the shootings were on an island?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on August 17, 2011, 07:43:46 AM
Additionally, apparently Breivik called the police several times to give himself up once the police helicopter started hovering over the island, but most of his calls didn't get through, and the one time it did he was apparently not believed nor did the dispatch follow up on it.

Today the frontpages feature a 15 year old girl who apparently called her mother some time after Breivik had talked to the dispatchers (attempting to surrender) and was later found dead.

That's just incredibly sad. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point