Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on July 28, 2011, 02:26:31 AM
Martinus, did you plagiarize from The Daily Show from tonight?

Yes, I just watched it.  :D

Viking

Støre does the right thing

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no%2Fnyheter%2Finnenriks%2Foslobomben%2Fartikkel.php%3Fartid%3D10080937

QuoteJonas Gahr Store goes out to the Progress Party accused

Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store will not allocate blame for the terrorist tragedy of other political parties.

Now, Jonas Gahr Store strongly against critics who accuse FRP for spreading xenophobia.

- It is a time for everything, and this is not the time to point fingers at other political parties and their leaders, said Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store to class struggle .

READ ALSO: Siv Jensen regrets killing comparison

Wednesday was former NRK-profile Petter Nome and Professor of Social Medicine, Per Fugelli, the attack on the Progressive Party to fuel more xenophobia and violent islamhat. Nome regretted later their statements.

Persons charged with terrorist Anders Behring Breivik was previously a member of both the FRP and the party's youth organization and expresses extreme-right views in his manifesto.

READ ALL ABOUT terror strikes HERE

Foreign Minister not like that the FRP is identified as a scapegoat.

- All parties have stood together and lined up in a dignified manner. It applies not least the youth parties, which are affected in a very special way. It is the story of a political system that demands respect, says Minister. He stressed that terrorist attacks will require a political debate about "hate speech" against Muslims.

Critical Progress Party mayor

At the same time the Progress Party mayor Knut Hanselmann in Askøy in Bergen that the terrorist attacks mean that the party must stop talking about the immigrants destroy the Norwegian culture. He would rather focus on resource issues.

READ ALSO: Knights Templar: - Breivik is not one of us!

He told Bergens Tidende that he believes the attacks and Breivik's manifesto will have lasting consequences for how the party stands.

- I think we will get a different type of talk when it comes to immigration. Not only in the campaign, but in years to come. Progress Party is the party that will have a minimum of immigration in Norway, and we will continue to hold. But the language used must be completely different and more objective, he said.

VGTV: Jens Stoltenberg: - It is important to cry

He believes it is wrong to focus so much on culture.

- We should focus on things that municipalities do not have the capacity to receive more when it comes to receiving apparatus, integration, child protection and the like. We can have a substantive discussion, as opposed to talking about culture and society is torn apart, he said. (© AP)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

A bit of info about Immigration to Norway. Remember Norway only has 4.5 Million people.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adressa.no%2Fnyheter%2Farticle1668982.ece

QuoteImmigration Skepticism

Over the past 20 years, there have been 420,000 immigrants to Norway from countries outside the region. 42,000 of them came in 2010. Approximately half of the immigrant population comes from non-western countries, many from Pakistan, Iraq, Somalia, Vietnam and Turkey.

Annual born between 50000 and 60000 children in this country. This means that the demographic landscape is now changing faster and more profound than in any previous historical period.

Integration and Diversity - IMDI - every year since 2005, a comprehensive intervjundersøkelse to survey the population's views on immigration and integration. With such a long time series, we get a pretty good picture of attitudes and how these have evolved. The main picture that emerges is twofold. On the one hand, characterized the attitudes of tolerance and equality. There is acceptance of diversity and difference, and high support for the view that immigrants should have the same rights as the majority population. On the other hand, the results show widespread restrictive attitudes towards immigration, and the majority respond affirmatively to the statement, "We should not let in more immigrants to Norway". The figures from year to year is relatively stable, but the trend is negative. When asked how one thinks the integration of immigrants into Norwegian society works, views very clear. Under one percent responded that this is very good, while half responded that it is fairly or very bad. The trend here is also negative. Unlike in many other studies, the attitudes small correlation with characteristics such as gender, age or residency.

Considered from a scientific point of view, many of the questions is problematic, because there is no distinction between different categories of immigrants. We know not whether those who respond negatively or positively think of Polish construction workers or African social clients, or whether they assume a kind of average consideration. Other questions in the survey may provide an indication of what the outcome would have been if the question was asked were more differentiated. While most people think immigration from Eastern Europe made a positive contribution to the Norwegian economy, there is widespread skepticism about Muslims and Islam.

Studies says in itself nothing about the reasons for that attitude to immigration is becoming more negative. Tentatively we can formulate three alternative hypotheses, which has to do with influence, knowledge and experiences.

Impact hypothesis says that the population's views are shaped by opinion leaders and politicians: This is Siv Jensen, Carl I. Hagen and the Progress Party's work. Knowledge hypothesis says that skepticism must be due to lack of knowledge, and that more information and more balanced representation in the media will eventually lead to more positive attitudes. Experience The hypothesis takes the opposite starting point: When the skepticism of (especially non-Western) immigrants is strong and growing, because it just more widespread knowledge of the problematic and negative aspects of immigration.

Impact hypothesis is weak. Politicians can NOK help bring issues up the public agenda, but their ability to shape public opinion is relatively limited, at least over time. And if it were true that politicians form attitudes, how reasonable is it to assume that the skeptics in the Progress Party has much greater influence than more liberal immigration politicians in other parties? Immigration skepticism is not much help from the second write and articulate participants in public debate. Rather the contrary.

If more restrictive attitudes due to lack of knowledge about immigration and immigrants, one would think that the consequences of lack of knowledge would decrease over time, as there are more immigrants and more exposed to people with different backgrounds, at work, school, neighborhood, through media and in public spaces. But IMDI ​​studies do not indicate that there is no such effect. There is an increasing number of people who have more contact with immigrants, but without this leading to more positive views.

Thus we are left with the experience hypothesis. When developing trend in attitudes is negative, it must be because more people have negative experiences, and because knowledge of the problematic aspects of certain types of foreign cultural immigration becomes more widespread. One can also assume that many see the aggregate impact of changes in population composition, and that they do not want such a development.

Some unsourced reports from different newspapers with different bylines have claimed that ABB was radicalized in the '90s and this radicalization was initiated by muslim immigrants who cheered whenever americans suffered loss or were bombed by scud missiles.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

:lol:

"If they would only get to know the immigrants and understand them better, their views would change."

Yes, I'm sure that why all those journalists and politicians live in the paki ghettoes.  :D

Martinus

Quoteviolent islamhat

:lol: Is this like a cross between "islamotard" and "asshat"?

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on July 28, 2011, 04:34:09 AM

"If they would only get to know the immigrants and understand them better, their views would change."

Yes, I'm sure that why all those journalists and politicians live in the paki ghettoes.  :D

Based on what I know about immigrants from Languish, I know I wouldn't want a Swede to move into my neighborhood. :P

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 05:05:39 AM
Quoteviolent islamhat

:lol: Is this like a cross between "islamotard" and "asshat"?

islamhat = hate of islam

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 05:06:53 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 28, 2011, 04:34:09 AM

Based on what I know about immigrants from Languish, I know I wouldn't want a Swede to move into my neighborhood. :P

See, we agree more than we disagree.  :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 02:09:49 AM
Incidentally, do you think right winger idiots will use this as a reason to somewhat make their rhetoric less extreme and violent

You mean, will their opinions be affected in any way by facts?  Don't count on it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2011, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 02:09:49 AM
Incidentally, do you think right winger idiots will use this as a reason to somewhat make their rhetoric less extreme and violent

You mean, will their opinions be affected in any way by facts?  Don't count on it.

Ehr. How does what this guy did in any way change the agenda for "right winger idiots"?

What new "facts" have arisen from this?

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 02:27:29 AM
How could you tell if someone sabotaged America?

You would consider whether the country was near bankruptcy....

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: A Cop
What will happen to your kid when attacked by an active shooter?

We law enforcement have and will continue to train for the active shooter.  When it happens I can only hope that I am close and that I get there first.  Cops like me can't stand not to be there and to not be there fast. Regardless, we can only get there so fast and people will die while waiting for us.

I don't find it surprising, just disappointing, that the Norwegian teenagers did not team up and stop this lone shooter from massacring over 80 people.  I'm not so sure it wouldn't happen the same with American teenagers today.  We saw what happened at Virginia Tech when grown college kids simple waited for their turn to die.

I was the keynote speaker a few weeks ago at a state organized school district law enforcement conference.  I discovered that even after Columbine and all the active shooter incidents since that the schools may be having some lock down drills the students are still not being taught that they may have to defend themselves.

ADD is the acronym that we recommend the schools use and teach their student body.  A) AVOID- get away, escape the situation to safety.  D) DENY- if you cannot escape, deny the threat access to your location.  Lock and barricade doors, cover windows.  D) DEFEND- If avoid is impossible, and deny has failed and you are about to die...DON'T DIE!  You must defend. Two or more full size students and/or teachers can overpower one individual with a firearm. One must attack the firearm while the other or others attack the shooter.  Take him down and stop him from killing.

Apparently, it's not pleasant to discuss such things with students.  It could scare them.  Let's just do fire drills instead and tell the kids how smart they are, no kids left behind, just dead on the floor.

If you have children in school find out from the administration what the active shooter policy and plan is and what they are telling your children to do.  Remember that YOU are the primary teacher of your children.  It is your responsibility to see them succeed, achieve good grades, get into college, know how to stay safe and if necessary, defend themselves.

It's a great big beautiful world out there, but it just takes one nut to kill eighty people in short order and there are plenty of them out there too.  Do not leave home without your equipment and your head on a spindle.  If you feel like you haven't been training enough lately, then you haven't been, take care of it. 
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

QuoteWhat will happen to your kid when attacked by an active shooter?

The new brochure found at the public library.

Martinus

I hate how in this world panic > statistics. The chance of being confronted by a shooter is lower than a chance of falling out of your bathtub and dying.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on July 28, 2011, 03:26:03 PM
I hate how in this world panic > statistics. The chance of being confronted by a shooter is lower than a chance of falling out of your bathtub and dying.

Yet people buy bath mats and install handles in the tub to prevent falling.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers