Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2011, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 11:45:29 AM
The server is in Texas. Texas & US law have jurisdiction.

Correction, Texas is one of the possible places that may take jurisdiction in addition to the jurisdictions of the sender and the reciever.  Now we start getting into the nuances of the conflicts of laws and really is Slargo worth all that bother.

Depends. Have I murdered anyone yet?  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 11:52:43 AM
What I don't get, is that working on the stipulation that I am in fact "unhinged", why would you want to fuck with me like that?  :P

Because you wouldn't dare fuck with a servant of Her Majesty. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2011, 09:39:25 AM
I tend to agree that the guy's actual politics are immaterial. Although he seemingly stands for a lot of stuff I loathe, and the temptation to rub in guilt by association is high (hello, Slargos!  ;) ), it ought to be resisted - he's a killer, he seemingly enjoys the attention that killing gave him, he could have been killing for any one of a number of different ideologies.

Dismissing the importance of ABB's politics with "he's a killer" seems dangerous to me. All active terrorists of note are killers. To fight terrorism we must understand the terrorists, including the ideologies that build them. You need a lot of general sympathizers, passive supporters and active supporters for an actual terrorist to emerge.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2011, 12:00:27 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 11:52:43 AM
What I don't get, is that working on the stipulation that I am in fact "unhinged", why would you want to fuck with me like that?  :P

Because you wouldn't dare fuck with a servant of Her Majesty. :)

In a scenario where I am "unhinged" and you've just slapped me with a severe nuiscance?  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2011, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2011, 09:39:25 AM
I tend to agree that the guy's actual politics are immaterial. Although he seemingly stands for a lot of stuff I loathe, and the temptation to rub in guilt by association is high (hello, Slargos!  ;) ), it ought to be resisted - he's a killer, he seemingly enjoys the attention that killing gave him, he could have been killing for any one of a number of different ideologies.

Dismissing the importance of ABB's politics with "he's a killer" seems dangerous to me. All active terrorists of note are killers. To fight terrorism we must understand the terrorists, including the ideologies that build them. You need a lot of general sympathizers, passive supporters and active supporters for an actual terrorist to emerge.

I agree.  Simply saying he is a killer diminishes the political aspect of this act.  Intolerance and racism and the effect they had on forming this man's view of the world are the real evils here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2011, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 11:45:29 AM
The server is in Texas. Texas & US law have jurisdiction.

Correction, Texas is one of the possible places that may take jurisdiction in addition to the jurisdictions of the sender and the reciever.  Now we start getting into the nuances of the conflicts of laws and really is Slargo worth all that bother.

Depends. Have I murdered anyone yet?  :hmm:

I dont know - you have not claimed you have.  The more relevant question is have you uttered a threat in a manner which anyone should take seriously?

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2011, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 26, 2011, 11:34:33 AMThen call the cops, motherfucker.  Beeb can try and prosecute me himself.

Nobody was prosecuted for saying that the US deserved 9/11, so I like my chances.

:lol: For some reason Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory" comes to mind.

QuoteBesides, Canadian law (which is utterly retarded in all matters relating to free speech) doesn't have jurisdiction wherever Slargos is.  I think that you would be performing a public service if you were to kill yourself today.

Well, according the Raz (and Slargos when the mood strikes him) Norwegian law is much more stringent than Canadian law in these matters. So the jurisdiction thing may not be the obstacle you think it is.
How does that work? Does norway get jurisdiction, or the US? I mean Slargy is over there, but the server is in texas somewhere. Serious question.

*edit* nm answered
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2011, 12:26:19 PMHow does that work? Does norway get jurisdiction, or the US? I mean Slargy is over there, but the server is in texas somewhere. Serious question.

*edit* nm answered

Presumably, should the Norwegian authorities be interested in this it wouldn't be because they thought Slargos was going to travel to Canada to murder me but more along the lines of "here's an individual who espouses an ideology of hatred and who regularly utters threats of violence; maybe we should keep an eye on him in case he decides to act rather than just talk."

Alternately, government authorized squads of PC Police may show up and brutalize him because he went against the Cultural-Marxist dogma of the ruling class. I'm not quite clear what the situation is in Norway these days.

Zoupa

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 03:41:23 AM
*It is, however, fun to turn the tables.  You hear all sorts of shit about "Old Europe" and how they've got history, etc.  But compared to us, Europe's present-day political landscape is actually the much younger brother.  Not counting fake countries like the Vatican, only the British, the Swedes and the Danes have continuous governments older than America.

Do you mean continuous semi-democratic governments? I don't get it.

Pat

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 09:48:43 AM
Sometimes I wonder if they don't all deserve this and more.

Felt rather dirty after wrestlig pigs the first time so I stayed out of this place. Guess some things just don't change. Let's see if I get some more calls for my death in Slargos' perfect world. I don't really care what he thinks, it's just a sad reaction to wish for more killing. I feel sad being right about this whole thing from the start of the thread, because I had been expecting something similar coming along sooner or later, and I expect it's not the last time something similar happends. Some people never learn.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 26, 2011, 11:42:47 AM
Don't tempt me, Neil-o.  You know you're in my jurisdiction now. :menace:
It's your life. :)
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Pat on July 26, 2011, 12:59:10 PM

Felt rather dirty after wrestlig pigs the first time so I stayed out of this place. Guess some things just don't change. Let's see if I get some more calls for my death in Slargos' perfect world. I don't really care what he thinks, it's just a sad reaction to wish for more killing. I feel sad being right about this whole thing from the start of the thread, because I had been expecting something similar coming along sooner or later, and I expect it's not the last time something similar happends. Some people never learn.

Some people deserve far, far worse. Rapists for instance.  :hug:

Neil

Quote from: Pat on July 26, 2011, 12:59:10 PM
You, of all people, have no reason to feel morally superior to anyone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Unless and until we learn something different, there is no terrorist organization in which this man is embedded.  We are not dealing with a political movement or party like ETA, Tamil Tigers, Al Qaeda, or even the Red Army Faction.  It's one guy that cobbled together a pastiche of an ideology based on stuff he read in internet blogs in the like.   Programatically it is the equivalent of Lettowism.   To analyze his prolix "manifesto" in search for understanding some supposed underlying ideology of terror is to follow Alice down the rabbit hole.  And there is some danger as well - by taking his program seriously, you reinforce his narcissism and sense of importance (as per norgy).  No accident that this guy drew influence from the unabomber, another demented lone killer whose supposed program was given far more serious attention than it merited.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2011, 01:34:30 PM

Unless and until we learn something different, there is no terrorist organization in which this man is embedded.  We are not dealing with a political movement or party like ETA, Tamil Tigers, Al Qaeda, or even the Red Army Faction.  It's one guy that cobbled together a pastiche of an ideology based on stuff he read in internet blogs in the like.   Programatically it is the equivalent of Lettowism.   To analyze his prolix "manifesto" in search for understanding some supposed underlying ideology of terror is to follow Alice down the rabbit hole.  And there is some danger as well - by taking his program seriously, you reinforce his narcissism and sense of importance (as per norgy).  No accident that this guy drew influence from the unabomber, another demented lone killer whose supposed program was given far more serious attention than it merited.

Whichever way you turn it there is a segment of the population that agrees with ABB. It's not as unified as some other movements but it's still there. He is not the first Scandinavian terrorist to emerge from that ideological area and I doubt he will be the last.

I'm not sure what you mean by taking his program seriously. I don't suggest taking the Koran seriously but it still gives insights into Muslim terrorists.

You seem to know an awful lot about his ideology btw. You actually read his crap?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.