And we're back!

Main Menu

[SPOILERS] A Dance With Dragons

Started by Viking, July 12, 2011, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Legbiter on August 12, 2011, 06:25:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 12, 2011, 05:57:09 PM
Manderly is one of my new favourite characters.. though he does remind me suspiciously of Martin himself, what with this extreme fatness, extreme stark loyalty and all round general late delivery of promised products.

Yep, the thought crossed my mind as well.  :lol:

I just wish he'd done something more spectacular at Winterfell. Hell, I wish Martin had written up a big battle between Stannis and the Boltons but alas, it's all off-screen at best. Seriously, absolutly nothing of note has happened in the series for 10 years now.

It's hard to believe this is the same author that wrote the Battle of the Blackwater and gave it to us in all its glory. Whatever happened to him?
Maybe he got eaten by a his neeps and onions eating nuncle. Words are wind, especially when they fill a 900 page book with little action or accomplishment.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Richard Hakluyt

I have not bought this book. I greatly enjoyed the first two books but then became concerned at the slowdown of the story. It started to have a soap opera feel..........perhaps Eddard Stark is not really dead at all, perhaps he is Bobby Ewing and the whole thing is a dream.......

...........one ceases to care one way or the other.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 13, 2011, 08:15:45 AM
I have not bought this book. I greatly enjoyed the first two books but then became concerned at the slowdown of the story. It started to have a soap opera feel..........perhaps Eddard Stark is not really dead at all, perhaps he is Bobby Ewing and the whole thing is a dream.......

This was the impression I was getting.  There seems to be inordinate number of people switched with a double right before they die.  Or in some cases simply come back from the dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2011, 09:23:05 AM

This was the impression I was getting.  There seems to be inordinate number of people switched with a double right before they die.  Or in some cases simply come back from the dead.

well yes. Initially, one of the things which grabbed me about the series was the ease Martin massacred seemingly important characters. Made for good reading because you would never know what was coming. But with characters being resurrected left and right, that aspect is being inflated to near-worthlessness. Jon is almost the last straw.

Syt

I feel with you. One of the main reasons I had to stop 100 or so pages into the third book.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

How many people are actually resurrected or switched with a double?

Beric Dondarrion and Catelyn, neither of whom are very central to the greater story.
Bran and Rickon, but this is more of an in-story switch and we learn almost immediately that they are not dead.
Aegon, who might not actually be Aegon.
Mance, who is probably going to die anyway.
Gregor, who gets turned into Gregorstein.
Theon, who is not really switched since everybody seems to know who he is. And his storyline is ossum.

The dead Starks are dead. Robert and Renly are dead. Tywin is dead. Walder Frey will be eaten by Lord Manderly. Granted, Jon will almost certainly be resurrected in some way or turn out to be not quite dead (or be forcibly warged into his wolf a la Varamyr). But still, I don't see *that* many important characters getting resurrected.

Viking

Rob probably warged into Greywind. The Westerling squire stood his ground to help greywind escape (depending on which rumor you choose to listen to). Though I'm slightly confused why Robbwind and Nymeria haven't joined up.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
Though I'm slightly confused why Robbwind and Nymeria haven't joined up.

:huh:  What interest would Nymeria have in finding a half-wolf, half-boy corpse?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on August 13, 2011, 12:36:45 PM

:huh:  What interest would Nymeria have in finding a half-wolf, half-boy corpse?

greywind's head being stitched onto Robbs body is second hand and merely one among many rumors.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

I'm pretty sure that if Grey Wind was running around somewhere, people would notice and talk about it. Like how many different people talk about sightings of Nymeria and her pack.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on August 13, 2011, 04:28:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that if Grey Wind was running around somewhere, people would notice and talk about it. Like how many different people talk about sightings of Nymeria and her pack.

Nymeria the direwolf is not the same as Robb permanently warged into Greywind. Greywind as a thinking reasoning monster is far more frightening than Nymeria and her megapack.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2011, 03:24:45 PM

greywind's head being stitched onto Robbs body is second hand and merely one among many rumors.

There are multiple sources that talk of how the "beast" was killed.  You're just making rumors up at this point.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on August 13, 2011, 12:29:08 PM
How many people are actually resurrected or switched with a double?

Beric Dondarrion and Catelyn, neither of whom are very central to the greater story.
Bran and Rickon, but this is more of an in-story switch and we learn almost immediately that they are not dead.
Aegon, who might not actually be Aegon.
Mance, who is probably going to die anyway.
Gregor, who gets turned into Gregorstein.
Theon, who is not really switched since everybody seems to know who he is. And his storyline is ossum.

The dead Starks are dead. Robert and Renly are dead. Tywin is dead. Walder Frey will be eaten by Lord Manderly. Granted, Jon will almost certainly be resurrected in some way or turn out to be not quite dead (or be forcibly warged into his wolf a la Varamyr). But still, I don't see *that* many important characters getting resurrected.

Davos Seaworth as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on August 13, 2011, 05:31:43 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2011, 03:24:45 PM

There are multiple sources that talk of how the "beast" was killed.  You're just making rumors up at this point.

Raynald Westerling not freed the wolf from a net it was in when they started shooting bolts at it, before he was hacked and fell into the river... (remaining details left out)

QuoteAnd he'll have it, as soon as I grow a new hand, thought Jaime. "We all have expectations," he said mildly. "Tell me, is Ser Raynald Westerling amongst these captives?"
"The knight of seashells?" Edwyn sneered. "You'll find that one feeding the fish at the bottom of the Green Fork."
"He was in the yard when our men came to put the direwolf down," said Walder Rivers. "Whalen demanded his sword and he gave it over meek enough, but when the crossbowmen began feathering the wolf he seized Whalen's axe and cut the monster loose of the net they'd thrown over him. Whalen says he took a quarrel in his shoulder and another in the gut, but still managed to reach the wallwalk and throw himself into the river."
"He left a trail of blood on the steps," said Edwyn.
"Did you find his corpse afterward?" asked Jaime.

I think the wolf got away and I think Robb warged into the wolf before dying.