News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[SPOILERS] A Dance With Dragons

Started by Viking, July 12, 2011, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on July 17, 2011, 02:50:58 PMirrational loyalty to the Starks.

given his alternatives...

QuoteI don't think that "The Lannisters" is relevant here.

i don't know, i thought it strange too that no one seemed to comment on the potential political fallout from having a man that looks exactly like the mountain appear on the kingsguard after his disappearance from the public. had kevan never before seen gregor, ever in his life? the rest on the council also have little excuse

i wouldn't be surprised though if his helm gets knocked off in the battle revealing some grotesque monster. he's not exactly alive from the sound of it

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on July 17, 2011, 04:01:48 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 17, 2011, 02:50:58 PMirrational loyalty to the Starks.

given his alternatives...
Fair point, but I would have thought that waiting for a more suitable time to strike rather than acting as soon as he finds Rickon.
Quote from: LaCroix on July 17, 2011, 04:01:48 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 17, 2011, 02:50:58 PMI don't think that "The Lannisters" is relevant here.

i don't know, i thought it strange too that no one seemed to comment on the potential political fallout from having a man that looks exactly like the mountain appear on the kingsguard after his disappearance from the public. had kevan never before seen gregor, ever in his life? the rest on the council also have little excuse

i wouldn't be surprised though if his helm gets knocked off in the battle revealing some grotesque monster. he's not exactly alive from the sound of it

I'm sure there is some by-law in the rules of trial by combat that says that the champion must be mortal or human or something... but then again Aerys did have Rickard Stark duel against wildfire.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

BTW, did anyone else have that (excellent, but annoyingly memorable) theme song to the HBO show playing in their heads the whole time they were reading this book?  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8 for those that haven't seen the show yet.

The only book character I had trouble associating with the TV characters was Tyrion.  Some of the stuff Tyrion did, like the pig jousting, I just couldn't see Peter Dinklage doing, though that's more a failure of my imagination, i suppose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on July 17, 2011, 02:50:58 PM
If any of this speculation is true then Wyman Manderley is the coldest most calculating bastard in the 7 Kingdoms.
I just re-read that part of the book.  I have no doubts that LaCroix hit the mark.  It is clear in retrospect, though I missed it when I read it the first time.

Now I see why Theon's POV had to be in the book, and withdraw my objections to his inclusion.

Edit:  wrote it exactly wrong the first time!   :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Now that I reflect a bit, I'm thinking Asha's chapters may not be as pointless as suspected.  I think it's likely that those were necessary to set up her meeting with Theon again and to cement the idea that they're going to go back together and challenge the results of the kingsmoot.

With the Iron Islands changing loyalties again (presumably after the Shield Islands are lost to the Redwyne fleet and Victarion's voyage ends in complete destruction of that segment of the Iron Fleet), Theon and Asha will be poised to sign a peace deal with the North or aid in taking down the Boltons.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

All of that could be covered in flashbacks, though.  We don't need a blow-by-blow description of her battle against Stannis's men, for instance.  Many equivalent incidents have been mentioned in dialogue or in flashbacks.  The story needs to move on while we still care.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

True; none of her chapters really had the sort of necessary scenes that Theon's did.  I think I might have to re-read them to double check that, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Cecil

Well instead of reading this book I´ve done something more fulfilling, trolling on the asoiaf forums. Not that trolling is needed but rather a nudge in some direction a few questions in another and the bile and hate come boiling up to the surface. Its been a good few days. Oh and...

Habbaku

No link of your exploits, just bragging?  Okay, Martinus.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on July 18, 2011, 01:30:04 PM
No link of your exploits, just bragging?  Okay, Martinus.
Come on!  He inserted a meaningless cartoon, what more do you want?

And if he was being Marti, he would have included a hilariously inapt analogy.  Moronic cartoon /= hilariously inapt analogy.

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

i missed this, but apparently connington is gay. martinus needs a new avatar :D

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on July 18, 2011, 02:41:59 PM
i missed this, but apparently connington is gay. martinus needs a new avatar :D

connington played loras to rhaegars renly?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2011, 02:53:02 PMconnington played loras to rhaegars renly?

i think it was a one way street. and here i thought the guy just really liked him as a friend

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on July 18, 2011, 02:56:43 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2011, 02:53:02 PMconnington played loras to rhaegars renly?

i think it was a one way street. and here i thought the guy just really liked him as a friend

That's what I thought, I always thought Jon and Rhaegar had a Ned/Robert type relationship. They met when they were young and were friends for a long time.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien