News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[SPOILERS] A Dance With Dragons

Started by Viking, July 12, 2011, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

if that turns out to be case, then i'll be a bit disappointed. it's such a cop-out

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on July 14, 2011, 04:41:48 PM
if that turns out to be case, then i'll be a bit disappointed. it's such a cop-out

I wouldn't, I said this months before ADWD came out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

Finished it. Lots of good history in this one.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Viking

Quote from: Siege on July 14, 2011, 09:13:41 PM

Thanks for the flashback.
No go and DIE in silence.

If I die I will do so complaining loudly if it is not In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty

LaCroix

theon spoilers-

poor, poor, poor theon. his chapters were painful, but at least he survived and is back with family. even if ramsay castrated him, cut off some fingers and toes and permanently broke him :(

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: LaCroix on July 15, 2011, 01:51:52 AM
theon spoilers-

poor, poor, poor theon. his chapters were painful, but at least he survived and is back with family. even if ramsay castrated him, cut off some fingers and toes and permanently broke him :(

Gordon Ramsay is not to be trifled with :p

Josquius

I'm up to the second Tyrion chapter. Not reading the thread but-

It really is painfully clear in places that this runs alongside the fourth book and they were meant to be one and the same. I recall the fourth had the same problem with speaking of events due to be covered in this and giving them away (Davos being killed- unless that was a trick).
I really do support the fan nattering of rearranging them into one big book to read in a 'correct' order.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Janos Slynt killed Jon with Lord Mormonts sword!!!!!

That boy with Tyrion in the Shy Maiden riverboat traveling down river dyes his hair blue.
I'll say his real hair below that is white, as in Targaryen white.

Martinus

The Theon spoilers make me less willing to read on. I kinda liked the guy.

Unless the torture chapters are more of a BDSM variety. :perv:  :ph34r:

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on July 15, 2011, 03:34:35 PM
The Theon spoilers make me less willing to read on. I kinda liked the guy.

Unless the torture chapters are more of a BDSM variety. :perv:  :ph34r:

aside from theon recalling his time in the dungeons here and there, there are no real torture scenes. the castration bit isn't explicitly stated, though hinted at about as many times as renly's sexuality :P

Siege

Aegon!
The son of Rhaegar is alive and heading to Volantis to link up with Daenerys.
What a cop out.
Reviving the Targaryen male line is bad storytelling, in my opinion.
GRRM is disappointing me once again. This is becoming a soap opera.

grumbler

I enjoyed the book much more than the last one, but not nearly as much as the first three.  Martin's use of resurrections and false corpses has become so routine that I don't care if characters I have come to identify with die, because death is no big deal, it seems.

Far too much use of cliffhangers and phony to end chapters.  That stuff only works when used sparingly.

Also, as I noted earlier, still way too many characters and plot lines.  We could have not had Theon at all, and the Melisandre chapter added exactly zero, other than to ruin an interesting suspense about the extent to which she was what she claimed to be.  All of the Arya and Asha stuff could easily be skipped, as could Davos Seaforth and Quentyn Martell.  The book would be much better if tighter.  Martin could publish all of these snippets as short stories or on the web.

Someone asked:  yes, Brienne reappears (as far as we can tell, though it is in just one scene), but we don't find out how she came back to life.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!