No Small Fries: Restaurant Bans Kids Under Six Years Old

Started by garbon, July 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 01:35:03 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 01:32:03 PM
Yet you're all bitching about it.

We are making fun of this guy as an attenion whore and saying he sounds like an ass. Not complaining about his "policy".

He is not an attention whore - unless he went to the press and asked them to write an article about him. The attention whore is a cretin parent who brings a young kid to a restaurant.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:39:05 PM
A parent who brings a young kid to a restaurant is the retard breaking social rules - the onus should not be on fellow guests or the owner to tell him or her that.

There are zero social rules against bringing young kids to restaurants.  There are certain ones you wouldn't but where is that a general social rule?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
I think this discussion misses the main point - it's not about where you ban kids, it's about parents being harebrained and bringing young kids to locales where it is clearly inappropriate. No, you don't need to bring your 4 yo to a dinner at a restaurant, or go to "family holidays" to Maldives involving a 16 hours trip on a plane.

When you decided to have a kid - more power to you - but that does involve certain sacrifices and you should not ignore them until "someone politely complains". If you come to a social occassion smelling of shit, or with a loud dog - it's not that you are in clear until "someone complains" - it's your onus not to let this happen in the first place.

Heh, who gets to set the rules as to when you can take a kid out to a restaurant, if not the owner? Many of 'em love having families as customers - that's why they have high chairs, crayons and kid's menus.  :lol:

Edit: double-d'oh! Ninja'd again!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2011, 01:34:10 PM
Join me Slarg in attacking Mart.  Together we'll rule the galaxy as father and son.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 01:39:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:36:20 PM
I think this discussion misses the main point - it's not about where you ban kids, it's about parents being harebrained and bringing young kids to locales where it is clearly inappropriate. No, you don't need to bring your 4 yo to a dinner at a restaurant, or go to "family holidays" to Maldives involving a 16 hours trip on a plane.

When you decided to have a kid - more power to you - but that does involve certain sacrifices and you should not ignore them until "someone politely complains". If you come to a social occassion smelling of shit, or with a loud dog - it's not that you are in clear until "someone complains" - it's your onus not to let this happen in the first place.

It is amazing how you flail about like a crazy person and then come back and say something reasonable.

I am not sure how kids are not supposed to be at restaurants though.  Or go on vacations.  Just, you know, be polite.

If little kids were not supposed to be at restaurants then they would not have kids menus and provide high chairs and actively solicite parents with kids to come eat there.  If kids were not supposed to be on vacations, tourism organizations would not be actively trying to market towards them and their parents.  How is that a basic social expectation?

In an earlier discussion a parent put forward the idea that no one takes a little kid on a plane unless they have to, and someone could recall parents taking little kids on a long flight to a holiday destination which didn't exactly seem to imply that they were forced.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Valmy, if you have a young kid, you should take them on short time trips, not long time ones. How the fuck do you get "kids should not go on vacation" from "dont bring toddlers on a 16 hour trip".

See, this is the kind of retarded, arrogant entitlement attitude ("I will not accomodate my lifestyle to the fact that I have a kid, so the strangers may suffer") that I and others resent - and despite your protests to the contrary, you show it in ample quantity in this thread.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2011, 01:42:08 PM
In an earlier discussion a parent put forward the idea that no one takes a little kid on a plane unless they have to, and someone could recall parents taking little kids on a long flight to a holiday destination which didn't exactly seem to imply that they were forced.

Whether or not to take a kid on a plane depends on the kid, the length of the flight, etc. I've never had any problems with it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 01:45:56 PM

Whether or not to take a kid on a plane depends on the kid, the length of the flight, etc. I've never had any problems with it.

Problem starts when they outgrow the overhead compartment.

Martinus

I was just on a 6 hour trip to Canaries. There were about 10 little kids on the plane. At least one of them was wailing at any given time. So go fuck yourself.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 01:35:03 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 14, 2011, 01:32:03 PM
Yet you're all bitching about it.

We are making fun of this guy as an attenion whore and saying he sounds like an ass. Not complaining about his "policy".

He is not an attention whore - unless he went to the press and asked them to write an article about him.

Guy *sounds* like an attention whore. His restaurant is on a golf course, meaning that dispite what he says, the number of young children going to it in the first place is almost certainly rather tiny.

QuoteThe attention whore is a cretin parent who brings a young kid to a restaurant.

Do you mean any restaurant?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:44:00 PM
Valmy, if you have a young kid, you should take them on short time trips, not long time ones. How the fuck do you get "kids should not go on vacation" from "dont bring toddlers on a 16 hour trip".

Because the thing you have in parantheses was "family vacations" and I figured that was on a plane you happened to be on and not specifically related to only sixteen hour flights.  My apologies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Valmy, if you have a young kid, you should take them on short time trips, not long time ones.

Since when?  Our little guy is probably more comfortable on a long trip than a short one, as he gets time to adjust and get sued to his new surroundings.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 01:51:44 PM
Valmy, if you have a young kid, you should take them on short time trips, not long time ones.

Since when?  Our little guy is probably more comfortable on a long trip than a short one, as he gets time to adjust and get sued to his new surroundings.

Travelling to the US?

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on July 14, 2011, 01:49:12 PM

I was just on a 6 hour trip to Canaries. There were about 10 little kids on the plane. At least one of them was wailing at any given time. So go fuck yourself.

I should go fuck myself because of what some people I've never met did?  :hmm:

I wouldn't take a very young kid on a 6 hour flight. But a 5 year old like mine, who never "wails" these days, I'd have no problem with. Neither would you, because he wouldn't wail.