No Small Fries: Restaurant Bans Kids Under Six Years Old

Started by garbon, July 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/no-small-fries-restaurant-bans-kids-under-six-172003848.html

QuoteOne Pennsylvania restaurateur has pulled the car over and told the kids to just get out.

A local ABC affiliate reported that Mike Vuick, owner of McDain's in Monroeville, Pa., sent this email to his customers letting them know that kidlets would soon be non grata:

"Beginning July 16, 2011, McDain's Restaurant will no longer admit children under six years of age. We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

When there is a loud child in any enclosed space - restaurants, airplanes, chapels - two groups of people emerge. There are those with boundless love for small children - and boundless sympathy for parents - who will abide any amount of noise in the presence of those cherubic little faces. And then there are those who experience the equivalent of road rage when parents don't remove said loud child from said enclosed space. (These impasses can be particularly tense at 30,000 feet).

When interviewed, Vuick defended his position. "I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish," he said. "And therefore, I instituted a policy." He also delivered an "oh snap!" quip in response to angry parents: "You know, their child - maybe as it should be - is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe." And to clarify, McDain's touts itself as a destination for "cocktails and fine casual dining" that is adjacent to a golf course, so the restaurant may be used to older clientele.

Vuick is by no means the first person to issue a blanket ban on the kiddies. In the 1970s, one Florida city banned families with children under 14 from living in certain "adult community" parts of town; the city council even imposed a jail term and fine on anyone who sold or rented a house to such a family. In the 1980s, a Canadian human rights' commission said a ban similar to Vuick's did not violate the law; while a mother who was refused service felt she was discriminated against, the restaurant owner said "she and her husband were merely ending discrimination against customers who did not like to eat pasta while children whined and cried around them." And, in more recent years, the number of children banned from schools has even been on the rise in some parts of the world.

He sounds like a bitch. Wonder if his business will thrive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM
QuoteAnd, in more recent years, the number of children banned from schools has even been on the rise in some parts of the world.
Huh?

As for McDain (read that as McDonalds at first :lol:), it's his choice.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

I've been to many places with age requirements. BFD.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

No children no more families! Just Teenagers. He isn't going to enjoy this decision.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM
When there is a loud child in any enclosed space - restaurants, airplanes, chapels - two groups of people emerge. There are those with boundless love for small children - and boundless sympathy for parents - who will abide any amount of noise in the presence of those cherubic little faces. And then there are those who experience the equivalent of road rage when parents don't remove said loud child from said enclosed space. (These impasses can be particularly tense at 30,000 feet).

I'm leaning a little towards the 'road rage' faction, though it depends on the venue.  I go to great lengths to ensure that my kid isn't disruptive in restaurants, planes, etc. and it pisses me off when I see some kid going apeshit and his parents don't even seem to bothered or embarrassed by it.  When in doubt, leave your kid with a sitter or just don't take the trip :rolleyes:

That having been said, it's hard for me to picture this McDain's as being anything but a wanna-be McDonald's, like the McDowell's in Coming to America.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Meh, his place, his rules. Though the guy sounds like a bit of an asshole.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

More power to this guy. If you are too irresponsible to wear a condom, hire an au pair you egotistical whores.

Drakken

Quote from: Martinus on July 12, 2011, 03:45:04 PM
More power to this guy. If you are too irresponsible to wear a condom, hire an au pair you egotistical whores.

Ah, the joys of not being a breeder...

Darth Wagtaros

It'll stop anymore people from changing the diapers on the table in the middle of the restaurant I'm all for it.
PDH!

The Brain

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 12, 2011, 04:22:01 PM
It'll stop anymore people from changing the diapers on the table in the middle of the restaurant I'm all for it.

:huh: It's an age requirement, not a non-fetish requirement.

Barrister

The flip side is if a restaurant doesn't want my families business, all they have to do is say so.

We don't go out for food very often with the little guy, but we have a few times.  Restaurants are pretty good about it really - they'll have high chairs, will put us in a section with other children, seem very understanding all in all.  But we also make a point to try to go to restaurants that will in fact be child friendly.  It's no fun for us, the restaurant, or our child to be in a place where the baby isn't welcome.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 12, 2011, 04:22:01 PM

This sounds like an old folk's restaurant. I bet gramps with alzheimers can do stuff on the table with his Depends that would make a toddler blush.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

It isn't like parents want their children to be causing a fuss. Sometimes children just do that as that's what children do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.