Why Americans die younger than Brits. And Canucks, Aussies and Japanese...

Started by Brazen, July 11, 2011, 03:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Speaking of portions, I took my nephews to Pizza Hut today. 2 kids, aged 12 and 9 and me scarfed down a large pizza, a personal meat lovers(for me),an order of breadsticks, drinks and an order of of cinnamon sticks. 25 bucks total.

And after that, i still won't gain any weight.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 13, 2011, 05:54:01 PM
Speaking of portions, I took my nephews to Pizza Hut today. 2 kids, aged 12 and 9 and me scarfed down a large pizza, a personal meat lovers(for me), and order of breadsticks, drinks and an order of of cinnamon sticks. 25 bucks total.

25 bucks for all three ?  That's not bad. 

Pizza hut is one of the only fast food places I'll eat at in an emergency; my assumption is the pizza are hot enough, that any bugs/risk of food poisoning is killed. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Your superhuman sperm is sucking up all the calories.  Like tapeworm.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2011, 06:16:57 PM
Your superhuman sperm is sucking up all the calories.  Like tapeworm.

I think I may have impregnated the girl serving the pizza with mere eye contact.

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on July 13, 2011, 06:16:41 PM
Speaking of portions, I took my nephews to Pizza Hut today. 2 kids, aged 12 and 9 and me scarfed down a large pizza, a personal meat lovers(for me), and order of breadsticks, drinks and an order of of cinnamon sticks. 25 bucks total.

Pizza hut is one of the only fast food places I'll eat at in an emergency; my assumption is the pizza are hot enough, that any bugs/risk of food poisoning is killed. 

You count that as fast food?
Its more...of a very low end chain restaurant...thingy...surely there's a proper term for it.
For me its not fast food if its not fast.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on July 13, 2011, 06:47:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 13, 2011, 06:16:41 PM

You count that as fast food?
Its more...of a very low end chain restaurant...thingy...surely there's a proper term for it.
For me its not fast food if its not fast.

Well sort of, in the sense of somewhere I wouldn't arrange to meet someone, but were I in a strange town and hungry I'd probably go there as it's unlikely to be terrible, which is the risk in any British restaurant one is unfamiliar with.

Put it another way Americans can do mass market food, the Brits generally don't and can sometime pull off some shocking results.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I don't know what part of Britain you live in, but the parts I've seen had no shortage of mass market fast food places. Plenty of which I know are home-grown and not American. I call bullshit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I was on the verge of posting that I've never seen a British movie scene shot in a chain fast food joint--always the same crappy fish and chips joint with the ugly formica tables--but then I remembered Eastern Promises.

Habbaku

Eastern Promises was good stuff and a movie that recognized who the most evil are : the gays.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

I think we just have more successful and full filling lives and hence can die sooner.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 13, 2011, 07:09:47 PM
I don't know what part of Britain you live in, but the parts I've seen had no shortage of mass market fast food places. Plenty of which I know are home-grown and not American. I call bullshit.
There are loads of one off fast food places, usually owned by some sort of muslim.
Not very many home-grown chains though. Chicken cottage and Harry Ramsdens is all that comes right to mind since Wimpy is dead (is it? I sure haven't seen one for years but who knows)
██████
██████
██████