Reason #2,103 to mock America's education system

Started by CountDeMoney, July 07, 2011, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: syk on July 08, 2011, 08:33:51 PM
Still I don't think it should be abandoned, if only to build up fine motor skills.
I wonder if keyboarding doesn't develop those same skills to more use, though.

I am not saying it is true, just noting the possibility.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Probably not the same skill.  Cursive would develop dexterity, I would think.  I'm not sure what motor skill typing develops, but it's probably not dexterity.

syk

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: syk on July 08, 2011, 08:33:51 PM
Still I don't think it should be abandoned, if only to build up fine motor skills.
I wonder if keyboarding doesn't develop those same skills to more use, though.

I am not saying it is true, just noting the possibility.
Could be, depending on the task. I was thinking of using a scalpel as I cut a lot of stencils. Maybe typing helps with things like playing piano.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Agelastus on July 08, 2011, 07:14:21 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 08, 2011, 06:45:47 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 08, 2011, 06:31:32 AM
So I guess I'm with Seedy.

At least someone else here has a little taste.  <_<

Hey, I thought it was clear from my post that I was with you too.

You're English.  I expected you guys to be pro-cursive.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2011, 09:35:28 PM
Probably not the same skill.  Cursive would develop dexterity, I would think.  I'm not sure what motor skill typing develops, but it's probably not dexterity.
From my experience teaching fine motor skills and keyboarding, I am not so sure.  Keyboarding requires dexterity, for sure.  Not necessarily the same dexterity as penmanship (I think of it as more "digital" than the "analog" of penmanship), but I certainly don't think we should base our conclusions on some innate belief that others should do well what we do well.  In teaching, it is always a temptation to teach to the past of the educator, not the future of the student.  Teaching cursive has that vibe to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 10:00:14 PM
From my experience teaching fine motor skills and keyboarding, I am not so sure.  Keyboarding requires dexterity, for sure.  Not necessarily the same dexterity as penmanship (I think of it as more "digital" than the "analog" of penmanship), but I certainly don't think we should base our conclusions on some innate belief that others should do well what we do well.  In teaching, it is always a temptation to teach to the past of the educator, not the future of the student.  Teaching cursive has that vibe to me.
You can probably compare the issue of cursive with the issue of calculators in math.  It really is a waste to keep hammering manual computation as if calculators weren't invented, since you can learn so much more math when calculator is an integral tool.  At the same time, there still has to be a basic proficiency with doing math on your own, and that can never be completely replaced by technology.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2011, 10:24:58 PM
You can probably compare the issue of cursive with the issue of calculators in math.  It really is a waste to keep hammering manual computation as if calculators weren't invented, since you can learn so much more math when calculator is an integral tool.  At the same time, there still has to be a basic proficiency with doing math on your own, and that can never be completely replaced by technology.

But you don't really need cursive as you can rely on block letters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I don't think they compare at all though.

Someone who cannot do the basic computations needed for math cannot succeed at math. Someone who never once writes a thing in cursive will be limited in nothing at all.

It is a dead skill, like teaching Latin. It is done for nostalgia's sake, and nothing else.

Even if one wanted to teach "manual dexterity" (whatever that means) I bet you could accomplish that ten times as well in the same amount of time if you just went and created a program to teach it specifically, rather than teaching cursive with the hope that maybe people will pick up "manual dexterity" along the way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 11:58:03 PM
It is a dead skill, like teaching Latin. It is done for nostalgia's sake, and nothing else.
Learning to read Latin is useful for historians, as is cursive.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Russian handwriting is mostly in their form of cursive, and learning it totally fucked up my English cursive.

My credit card signature is pretty much just a memorized, mechanical art form at this point.

grumbler

This may seem like a good comparison if you don't know anything about learning, but is incorrect.  Google "chunking" and I think you will understand why the difference exists.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 11:58:03 PM
Someone who cannot do the basic computations needed for math cannot succeed at math. Someone who never once writes a thing in cursive will be limited in nothing at all.

I am not convinced that this is true.  Further, teaching Latin is actually extremely useful for students who want to succeed in things like the SAT; Latin tells you where the language comes from, and allows one to successfully guess at word meanings one is encountering for the first time. That may be a fault of the SATs, but it still is a fact.

QuoteEven if one wanted to teach "manual dexterity" (whatever that means) I bet you could accomplish that ten times as well in the same amount of time if you just went and created a program to teach it specifically, rather than teaching cursive with the hope that maybe people will pick up "manual dexterity" along the way.
I think this is true.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 09, 2011, 01:20:12 AM
This may seem like a good comparison if you don't know anything about learning, but is incorrect.  Google "chunking" and I think you will understand why the difference exists.
Well, you'd be wrong, I do not understand why the different exists.  I did Google chunking, but I don't see how that applies to anything here.  Perhaps you can point me in a direction?