News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Worst book you ever read?

Started by Razgovory, July 06, 2011, 10:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Pretty self-explanatory.  Worst book I ever read was Jonathan Livingston Seagull.  Required reading for an 8th grade  English class.  Even as a dimwitted teenager I could figure out that it was bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Fire Lance by David Mace.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Lance-David-Mace/dp/0441235883

A close second, Grunts  or Fitzpatrick's War.

My pet school hate was Flowers for Algernon. EVERY FUCKING YEAR 6TH GRADE AND UP IT IS WAS ASSIGNED.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Roughing it in the bush by Susannah Moody. Required Can.Lit reading. Turgid, horrible.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Worst book you ever read ?

The one I'm about to write.  :contract:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

It's probably not the worst book I ever read, since it is I guess considered an important work (and I've read my share of objectively crappy fantasy and sci fi novels), but the book I despised reading was Tess of the D'Ubervilles.  It just went on and on, and I had to force myself to read each page. :bleeding:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Pedrito

Too many to list.

Luckily, when they were not mandatory for school reasons, I simply throw them in a  corner.
Several so-called "masterpieces" I've found unreadable: Crime and Punishment;Ulysses; almost every theatre piece I've read rather than attended to the play; others I don't recall right now.

I'm crawling through War and Peace right now, if the pace doesn't change in the next 20 pages I'm ready to throw away this one too.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Drakken

Mein Kampf, closely followed by Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism by Lenin.

As much as I love the subject, I've found On War by Clausewitz to be nigh-on unreadable, but it could be because of bad translation work.

Razgovory

Quote from: Pedrito on July 06, 2011, 11:03:55 AM
Too many to list.

Luckily, when they were not mandatory for school reasons, I simply throw them in a  corner.
Several so-called "masterpieces" I've found unreadable: Crime and Punishment;Ulysses; almost every theatre piece I've read rather than attended to the play; others I don't recall right now.

I'm crawling through War and Peace right now, if the pace doesn't change in the next 20 pages I'm ready to throw away this one too.

L.

Oh that reminds me.  I had to read Frankenstein my senior year in high school.  The book is terrible.  The plot often hinges on bizarre coincidence and serendipity, though that's seemed to be common in writing at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Four Blondes by Candace Bushnell

I forget its name but I also have a book about a bisexual vampire that drinks blood to get erections...<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Worst book finished was possibly Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule was worse but I didn't finish it.

Worst from a writer considered respectable would be Mary Shelley's The Last Man. Or Heinlein's Time Enough for Love if you want to call him respectable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I bet Sword of Shannara is better if you haven't read Tolkien first.

Solmyr

Death of a Darklord, an obscure AD&D Ravenloft novel from the nineties. While the quality of AD&D novels varied (some were quite good), this one was absolutely horrible.

Grey Fox

Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac. I read 30 pages of it. I think I was only in sentence number 5.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on July 06, 2011, 11:06:57 AM
Mein Kampf,
You have the winner right there.  Worst. book. ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!