News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Worst book you ever read?

Started by Razgovory, July 06, 2011, 10:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I couldn't finish Mein Kampf. Rubbish from start to fi...well i was going to say finish but I wouldn't know.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2011, 11:48:03 AM
Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac. I read 30 pages of it. I think I was only in sentence number 5.

How French of you  :D
I can see how the descriptions in the beginning can be boring, namely the house, specially when it's mandatory reading at school.
When you're over 25 it's much easier though.

I kind of like now the litterary style from that era with preterit and imperfect subjunctive (closer to other Romance languages nowadays actually).

As for Mein Kampf, it's repetitive even tedious at times but it's an historical document not litterature.

ulmont

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 06, 2011, 10:44:59 AM
A close second, Grunts  or Fitzpatrick's War.

You mean Grunts by Mary Gentle, or something else?

ulmont

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2011, 12:23:27 PM
Probably the 8th book in the Mission Earth decology.  The whole series is pretty bad, and just gets worse as it goes forward.  I've never read the 9th and 10th books, and I'm not sure how I made it thru the first 8.

The 8th book was the only one I ever read.

Ed Anger

Quote from: ulmont on July 06, 2011, 05:10:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 06, 2011, 10:44:59 AM
A close second, Grunts  or Fitzpatrick's War.

You mean Grunts by Mary Gentle, or something else?

That is the one.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

In school, a toss-up between A Separate Peace and Wuthering Heights.

On personal reading, probably David Simon's The Corner.  Put it down after 18 pages.

Scipio

A Separate Peace.  Hands down, for books I've finished.

Ulysses, for books I've not finished.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:54:16 AM
Mine would probably be Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. Just dreadfully bad in every way - boring, silly, pretentious, badly written. Worse than Jonathan Livingston Seagull:lol:

It is about a telepathic gorilla that teaches us that civilization is bad and wrong.
:lol: Remember how I told you guys that we used to hang out with a bunch of polyamorous people up in Massachusetts?  They were obsessed with that book.  "IT CHANGED MY WERLDVUE LOL"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Polyamory?  Weeping gorilla?  An exploration of the fallen nature of man?  I must admit that I am intrigued.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 06:44:36 PM
Polyamory?  Weeping gorilla?  An exploration of the fallen nature of man?  I must admit that I am intrigued.
I know I've told this story like 10 times, but this little group got together via a message board similar to Languish (no, I don't know the URL) and either the board was about Ishmael or it was some literary board and the novel constantly came up or some shit.

Anyway, some of the people in the group weren't so batshit, but a faction of it was so cuckoo that they became polyamorous and moved to a hippie commune up in Maine.

Ed Anger

Not hot. I bet it was a wang fest.  :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Caliga

I'm not sure if the dudes fucked each other.  They definitely fucked all the chicks and the chicks did girl-girl action.

Before anyone says "HOTT", I would say that the average weight of one of these hippies (both genders) was 350 lbs.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:56:28 PM
I'm not sure if the dudes fucked each other.  They definitely fucked all the chicks and the chicks did girl-girl action.

Before anyone says "HOTT", I would say that the average weight of one of these hippies (both genders) was 350 lbs.

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

:yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Darth Wagtaros

A Separate Peace.  One of those 'classics' I had to read just because someone decided it was a classic.

A fair number of those AD&D novels could be considered suck.  Some of John Ringo and his Baen brethren books, like Ghost suck.
PDH!

11B4V

Great book about a bad story.
Masters of Death by Richard Rhodes

Just a plain rag
Tigers are Burning by Caidin
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".