Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2011, 07:50:27 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 06, 2011, 07:42:25 PM
An untitled autobiography of Slargos.

That has got to be boring. 

"Wednesday, Sold a cabinet"

"Thursday sold three cabinets".

"Friday, sold no cabinets.  Thought I saw Jew.  It was probably his fault".

"Saturday, parents called to tell me they are ashamed of me again, like they do every Saturday".

"Sunday, saw a Muslim.  Might be a Somali.  Hid in the bushes for six hours till he left".

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

The bible.
1633: The Canon Law.
Catch 22.
All of the above I've tried to read but could never get far in.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Wizards first rule series. The first book was kinda okayish för a commuting read. I just had to read the rest of them, in the end just to see where the fuck he was going with it.  :yuk:

LaCroix

i guess i sorta hate 1984, but more because of how it tends to influence some in certain ways

Richard Hakluyt

I greatly disliked Wuthering Heights  :mad:

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:50:50 AM
It's probably not the worst book I ever read, since it is I guess considered an important work (and I've read my share of objectively crappy fantasy and sci fi novels), but the book I despised reading was Tess of the D'Ubervilles.  It just went on and on, and I had to force myself to read each page. :bleeding:

I can empathise.
I loathed that book. I also loathed some of the books that were required reading for quantitative analysis, but they weren't bad, just boring.

I guess the worst book would be one that I managed to finish. "The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail" is rather horrible with all the "shocking" revelations. But it's probably not the worst. Most likely Alex Scarrow's "A Thousand Suns" is the worst book I actually finished.

Richard Hakluyt

Thomas Hardy is very difficult. He can be such a miserable bore, but OTOH he is a superb chronicler of the lives of "ordinary" folk of that period  :hmm:

I usually feel very satisfied after reading a Hardy book..............but don't rush to get the next one  :D

Slargos

As with all such things, I tend to block them from my mind in order to make the hurt go away so I always have trouble naming them.

After brief consideration (and peering at some entries here), I will have to go with:

Time Enough for Love
Mein Kampf
The Bible

I only very rarely have to force myself through litterature, even when it is atrocious, but some texts simply defy my best efforts.

Zoupa

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 06, 2011, 07:29:14 PM
Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.  Rainbow Six, with eco terrorists wanting to destroy humanity was when he really began to lose it, Teeth of the Tiger, which I bet was ghost written, was beyond shit.

Holy shit  :lol:

From wiki's plot summary: Brian is unsure of the morality of carrying out preemptive assassinations, even against terrorists. This changes when cells of Islamic fundamentalists cross the U.S.-Mexico border armed with MAC-10 sub-machine guns and attack several suburban malls.

Gold.

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Darth Wagtaros

Bear adn the Dragon was shit too.  but Teeth of the Tiger was beyond crap. 
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Zoupa on July 07, 2011, 02:56:51 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 06, 2011, 07:29:14 PM
Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy.  Rainbow Six, with eco terrorists wanting to destroy humanity was when he really began to lose it, Teeth of the Tiger, which I bet was ghost written, was beyond shit.

Holy shit  :lol:

From wiki's plot summary: Brian is unsure of the morality of carrying out preemptive assassinations, even against terrorists. This changes when cells of Islamic fundamentalists cross the U.S.-Mexico border armed with MAC-10 sub-machine guns and attack several suburban malls.

Gold.
Yeah.  The build up through out the book was "the American heartland will at last experience war!!!!!1111".  Turns out a bunch of tools with sub machine guns go to shoot up a couple of GAPs.  The hardworking and moral Americans are already heavily armed and super brave mange to shoot all of them within seconds of the terrarists opening fire.  Anti-climactic would be an understatement.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I can't believe all you Tom Clancy suckers.  I learned to stop reading him back in the '80s, after Red Storm Stupid.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2011, 05:16:12 AM
I can't believe all you Tom Clancy suckers.  I learned to stop reading him back in the '80s, after Red Storm Stupid.

I think I've read exactly one Tom Clancy book.  My reaction was that he sure did know a lot about military hardware.  But so did Fred T. Jane, and no one considers him a great novelist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:53:33 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 06:44:36 PM
Polyamory?  Weeping gorilla?  An exploration of the fallen nature of man?  I must admit that I am intrigued.
I know I've told this story like 10 times, but this little group got together via a message board similar to Languish (no, I don't know the URL) and either the board was about Ishmael or it was some literary board and the novel constantly came up or some shit.

Anyway, some of the people in the group weren't so batshit, but a faction of it was so cuckoo that they became polyamorous and moved to a hippie commune up in Maine.

If the book convinces some of these types to voluntarily remove themselves from society, I guess it isn't all bad ...

Ah, who am I kidding. It is indeed total crap.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius