Is this a good time to start investing already?

Started by Martinus, July 06, 2011, 06:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, back when I was 20-something, I thought I would start investing money (nb, I won't be "playing" at stocks - it's too much hassle considering our firm's corporate governance rule etc.) into investment fund units etc. around the time I'd turn 30, but the financial crisis postponed that. Now I am considering starting doing it, but with the Greek bankruptcy looming etc., it's unclear to me if I should do so or wait a bit more.

Since Languish has many people who seem to be doing fairly well in this department, I thought I'd ask.

Eddie Teach

Beats spending the money on interior decorators.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

You still dating that guy with AIDS?  It's probably not worth bothering with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 06:31:36 AM
(nb, I won't be "playing" at stocks - it's too much hassle considering our firm's corporate governance rule etc.)
:hmm:

I work for a publicly-traded company and the only rules revolve around trading our company's stock during blackouts and using knowledge gained at work to influence trading (which presumably only affects trading the company's stock and the stock of its competitors and possibly vendors/clients).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

I invest my RRSP. I'd like to have a little invest money but alas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:45:59 AM
(nb, I won't be "playing" at stocks - it's too much hassle considering our firm's corporate governance rule etc.)

I work for a publicly-traded company and the only rules revolve around trading our company's stock during blackouts and using knowledge gained at work to influence trading (which presumably only affects trading the company's stock and the stock of its competitors and possibly vendors/clients).

Our stock is going to be replaced by someone else's stock at .96 value next year! Yay corporate greed!

Admiral Yi

You missed the boat by about 3 years.

I had earlier predicted that this would be a good year for equities because at some point US consumers have to start spending all the money they've been saving ever since the crisis, but I've changed my mind, mostly because of the effect increased borrowing costs will have on corporate bottom lines once the full effects of no more QE are felt in bond markets.

My personal plan is to get into bonds once that happens.  Even better would be if the budget talks go right down to the wire and bond traders start to panic. 

alfred russel

So, back when I was 20-something, I thought I would start investing money (nb, I won't be "playing" at stocks - it's too much hassle considering our firm's corporate governance rule etc.) into investment fund units etc. around the time I'd turn 30, but the financial crisis postponed that. Now I am considering starting doing it, but with the Greek bankruptcy looming etc., it's unclear to me if I should do so or wait a bit more.

Since Languish has many people who seem to be doing fairly well in this department, I thought I'd ask.

What are you doing with all your money if you aren't investing it?

Fwiw, I thought the good time to invest was during the financial crisis. But I think the best thing to do is invest in indexed funds with low expense ratios on a regular basis so you aren't trying to time the market. A strategy would be to resolve to invest $1,000 each month on a certain date, for example. You should also diversify--for example 70% stocks and 30% bonds, with both in low expense and broad funds. You should then rebalance when certain conditions are met - if stocks do well and bonds do poorly so that you have 75% stocks and 25% bonds, you should sell stocks and buy bonds so that it is back to your target percent.

There is research showing that a strategy like the one above produces the best returns with the least volitility. There is also a good case that you should diversify out of stocks and bonds: some other asset classifications that you can put money into without active management are commodities and real estate, and you can subdivide stocks and bonds into international vs. domestic, or based on the size of the company.

I don't know what to say about your currency. It is easier in a country with a major currency to invest without taking on a lot of currency risk. There is a limited about of diversification you can get if you concentrate in zloty denominated assets, but if you mostly invest in euro/dollar/yen/etc. assets you stand to lose if the zloty strengthens.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:45:59 AM

My firm works *for* countless publicly listed companies and we often have access to insider information. I need to get a specific permission from our London HQ to do any share deal in the public market.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 07:11:07 AM
if you concentrate in zloty denominated assets,

That just sounds shitty.  WHATS THE EXCHANGE FUTURES LOOKING LIKE FOR THE STONE COINS OF THE YAP HIGHLANDERS

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 07:11:07 AM
What are you doing with all your money if you aren't investing it?
Deposits, including in various currencies, and I bought some real estate.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 07:14:33 AM
My firm works *for* countless publicly listed companies and we often have access to insider information

PM SENT

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2011, 07:24:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 07:14:33 AM
My firm works *for* countless publicly listed companies and we often have access to insider information

PM SENT

The demands Marty would make on you for that information is more than you'd be willing to pay out. It's more than your toes, you'd be selling your sole.

Richard Hakluyt

Another CdM comment laced with criticisms of Marty, amazing how he manages to shoehorn them in.