Is this a good time to start investing already?

Started by Martinus, July 06, 2011, 06:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 07:17:54 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 07:11:07 AM
What are you doing with all your money if you aren't investing it?
Deposits, including in various currencies, and I bought some real estate.

Doesn't your firm have an investment advisor to talk to?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 06, 2011, 07:30:22 AM
Another CdM comment laced with criticisms of Marty, amazing how he manages to shoehorn them in.

Yeah, but I'm wondering if "sole" was intended as a pun, or if it was just a misspelling.

Anyway, Marty, when you're investing for the long term, the sooner you do so, the better.  So now is a better time than next year.

If you're talking about investing for the short term, though, it's much more iffy.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 07:45:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 07:17:54 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 07:11:07 AM
What are you doing with all your money if you aren't investing it?
Deposits, including in various currencies, and I bought some real estate.

Doesn't your firm have an investment advisor to talk to?

Nope.  :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 07:14:33 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 06, 2011, 06:45:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 06:31:36 AM
(nb, I won't be "playing" at stocks - it's too much hassle considering our firm's corporate governance rule etc.)
:hmm:

I work for a publicly-traded company and the only rules revolve around trading our company's stock during blackouts and using knowledge gained at work to influence trading (which presumably only affects trading the company's stock and the stock of its competitors and possibly vendors/clients).

My firm works *for* countless publicly listed companies and we often have access to insider information. I need to get a specific permission from our London HQ to do any share deal in the public market.

That sounds surprising.  In my very first lawfirm I started out in the securities department, so pretty much by definition every single one of our clients were publicly listed companies, or were intending to become public companies.  I do not recall any such restriction.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:06:09 AM
(nb, I won't be "playing" at stocks - it's too much hassle considering our firm's corporate governance rule etc.)

I work for a publicly-traded company and the only rules revolve around trading our company's stock during blackouts and using knowledge gained at work to influence trading (which presumably only affects trading the company's stock and the stock of its competitors and possibly vendors/clients).

My firm works *for* countless publicly listed companies and we often have access to insider information. I need to get a specific permission from our London HQ to do any share deal in the public market.

That sounds surprising.  In my very first lawfirm I started out in the securities department, so pretty much by definition every single one of our clients were publicly listed companies, or were intending to become public companies.  I do not recall any such restriction.

You are probably not covered by MAD, if that was just a Canadian lawfirm.

crazy canuck

You mean to tell me your firm's policies do not allow you to set up the equivalent of a blind trust so that you are able to participate in the equity market?  Or more to the point you havent been able to figure that out yet? Its posts like this that perpetuate the meme that you are not really a lawyer

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 10:52:02 AM

I don't know what MAD is, but yes it was a Canadian firm (though a national firm - the same one Malthus works for currently).  Thinking about it, I think there was a 'do not trade' list that was circulated, but that is still a long way from having to get permission to make any trade.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:06:09 AM

It is suprising indeed.  This sounds more like just another one of Marti's "look at me look at me, I have more money then some of you" threads.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2011, 11:06:28 AM
You mean to tell me your firm's policies do not allow you to set up the equivalent of a blind trust so that you are able to participate in the equity market?  Or more to the point you havent been able to figure that out yet? Its posts like this that perpetuate the meme that you are not really a lawyer

I think he was just saying he can't actively trade individual stocks. So funds that his company doesn't directly work with and a blind trust would be okay (I would think). I haven't heard of having to get each transaction approved, but I have heard of do not trade lists that are so extensive people just run every transaction by compliance.

I am surprised that he would work for 10 years as a high earner and leave his cash in deposit accounts. It seems such a waste to work hard for money and then just let it sit there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2011, 11:06:28 AM

I think he was just saying he can't actively trade individual stocks. So funds that his company doesn't directly work with and a blind trust would be okay (I would think).

Yeah, this.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 10:52:02 AM

I don't know what MAD is, but yes it was a Canadian firm (though a national firm - the same one Malthus works for currently).  Thinking about it, I think there was a 'do not trade' list that was circulated, but that is still a long way from having to get permission to make any trade.

Market Abuse Directive.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 11:13:08 AM
I think he was just saying he can't actively trade individual stocks. So funds that his company doesn't directly work with and a blind trust would be okay (I would think). I haven't heard of having to get each transaction approved, but I have heard of do not trade lists that are so extensive people just run every transaction by compliance.

I am surprised that he would work for 10 years as a high earner and leave his cash in deposit accounts. It seems such a waste to work hard for money and then just let it sit there.

Yep, that is exactly what he should have said.  Which is what lead to my comment of why the meme continues to exist.

Grey Fox

Sometimes, you guys should learn to just read between the lines. Also, stuff might get lost in translation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2011, 11:21:16 AM
Sometimes, you guys should learn to just read between the lines. Also, stuff might get lost in translation.
Is there any secret to reading between the lines? :unsure: I tried doing just that with Marty's post, but all I saw between the lines was just blank space.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2011, 09:06:03 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 06, 2011, 07:30:22 AM
Another CdM comment laced with criticisms of Marty, amazing how he manages to shoehorn them in.

Yeah, but I'm wondering if "sole" was intended as a pun, or if it was just a misspelling.

You should fucking know better than that.