10 Things You Might Not Know About America's Independence

Started by viper37, July 05, 2011, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2011, 09:52:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 07:12:46 PM
1.  That the American Revolution was an act of villainy without parallel in history.

That's a bit much. But yes you are right that it was hardly justified.

STFU

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2011, 08:43:34 PM
The article shows that Nicole Swinford is an idiot who loves to state as fact things that are merely opinion.

There are almost certainly no credible historians who still doubt that Thomas Jefferson fathered Sally Henning's children, for instance.  While the DNA only narrows the possibilities to something like five men, only Thomas Jefferson himself had the opportunities. 
I thought his brother was a credible suspect?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 09:53:31 PM
1.  That the American Revolution was an act of villainy without parallel in history.

STFU

Oh I'm certainly happy to be an American but we kind of made it up as we went. 1776? I would have been a closet loyalist. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2011, 10:00:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 09:53:31 PM

STFU

Oh I'm certainly happy to be an American but we kind of made it up as we went. 1776? I would have been a closet loyalist. ^_^

I know you homotypes like to identify with 90210, but "Tories" actually had nothing to do with Tori Spelling.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 10:02:13 PM
I know you homotypes like to identify with 90210, but "Tories" actually had nothing to do with Tori Spelling.

Umm, I'm young. Original 90210 started when I was 5. Why would I identify with that? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2011, 10:04:12 PM

Umm, I'm young. Original 90210 started when I was 5. Why would I identify with that? :x

Poor defense.  Explain generations of pillowbiter worship of Judy Garland then.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2011, 09:55:38 PM
I thought his brother was a credible suspect?
DNA-wise, yes, but Randolph was never at Monticello, according to what is left of Jefferson's papers, when Sally conceived.  TJ himself always was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 10:07:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2011, 10:04:12 PM

Poor defense.  Explain generations of pillowbiter worship of Judy Garland then.

How would I know? I'm not some old queen. :blurgh:

Now Audrey, Greta, Joan, Katherine and Liz? :wub:

grumbler

Seems well-justified to me.  They wrote a declaration justifying it.  You might want to read it.  It makes a good case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 05, 2011, 10:10:16 PM
Seems well-justified to me.  They wrote a declaration justifying it.  You might want to read it.  It makes a good case.

Unfortunately, it's been co-opted by the Teabaggers.  Very annoying.

garbon

Meh welcome to being a colonist. Again, I'm so happy that they managed it but I'm not sure I could have been a supporter then.

All men are created equal but we should keep slavery. OK.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2011, 10:13:15 PM
Unfortunately, it's been co-opted by the Teabaggers.  Very annoying.
They try to co-opt Paul Revere, too, but they come off sounding like morons when they do.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2011, 10:14:12 PM

Meh welcome to being a colonist.

Most of the people living in the Americas at that time were not colonists.

Again, I'm so happy that they managed it but I'm not sure I could have been a supporter then.

Not surprised.

All men are created equal but we should keep slavery. OK.

I don't think the DOI says anything about slavery. Where is this argument made?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Pfft Garbon wouldn't have been a loyalist anyways, he's be out in the slave quarters. :rolleyes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2011, 10:14:12 PM
Meh welcome to being a colonist.
Is this an argument?  Smells like a red herring to me.

QuoteAgain, I'm so happy that they managed it but I'm not sure I could have been a supporter then.
I should think it would have depended on your circumstances.

QuoteAll men are created equal but we should keep slavery. OK.
The vast majority of the delegates wanted to keep the accusation that Jefferson wrote, to the effect that King George
Quote...has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them to slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportations thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian king of Great Britain. Determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this excrable commerce
but had to drop it when the carolina delegations refused to agree to the declaration containing the charge.

The founders knew the nature of slavery and accepted its continuance reluctantly, as a matter that could not be resolved in a time of war.  If that is the most damning thing you have, remember that it was legal under the law the Americans were fighting against, as well.  At best the slavery issue is a tie between the British and the Americans.

Bayraktar!