10 Things You Might Not Know About America's Independence

Started by viper37, July 05, 2011, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I don't like this list of "10 Things You Might Not Know About America's Independence" and propose to start my own.

1. The original government of the US included provision for a poet laureate. However, this position was unfilled for a century because the public was scandalized by efforts of the first, a certain Mr. Limerik, who wrote only about life in his home on Nantucket. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2011, 09:35:42 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2011, 09:32:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that it's possible to come up with 10 little known facts about the American Revolution that are in fact true.
Not if you are a moron, and that's the only type Fox News seems to hire.

I'm a moron and I bet I could.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 10:24:20 AM
I don't like this list of "10 Things You Might Not Know About America's Independence" and propose to start my own.

1. The original government of the US included provision for a poet laureate. However, this position was unfilled for a century because the public was scandalized by efforts of the first, a certain Mr. Limerik, who wrote only about life in his home on Nantucket.
2.  There used to be more cherry trees near the reflecting pond, but George Washington chopped them down.  He confessed to the crime ("I can't tell a lie"), but was not punished.  Festering resentment for this act would later lead Japan to attack Pearl Harbor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2011, 10:01:32 AM
No doubt that some of the Founding Fathers were somewhat hypocritical on the matter of slavery, but since it abolition of slavery wasn't an aim of the rebellion, that has nothing to do with whether or not it was justified.

I think we all can agree with that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2011, 10:35:47 AM

2.  There used to be more cherry trees near the reflecting pond, but George Washington chopped them down.  He confessed to the crime ("I can't tell a lie"), but was not punished.  Festering resentment for this act would later lead Japan to attack Pearl Harbor.

I thought the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 06, 2011, 10:38:10 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2011, 10:35:47 AM

I thought the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor.

No, they attacked Pearl Harbour. Different place.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:10:12 AM
No, they attacked Pearl Harbour. Different place.
:yes: At the mouth of the Pearl Riveur.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

4. The White House takes it's name from John Hancock the White, the powerfull architect who designed & conjured it on July 4th 1778.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2011, 12:14:42 PM
4. The White House takes it's name from John Hancock the White, the powerfull architect who designed & conjured it on July 4th 1778.

5. He later went on to defeat King George III of Many Colours, securing American independence.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Malthus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 06, 2011, 01:12:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2011, 12:14:42 PM

5. He later went on to defeat King George III of Many Colours, securing American independence.

6. The Revolution gained considerable propaganda value from claiming that the Hessian troops employed by the British as mercenaries were, in fact, orcs. This aroused the hatred of the colonists.

In reality, only some of them were.

grumbler

:(  Well, I though you had an interesting idea there, Malthus...

for about two posts!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2011, 01:55:43 PM

It is hard work to come up with more silliness than Fox.  :(

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 02:18:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2011, 01:55:43 PM

It is hard work to come up with more silliness than Fox.  :(

You don't have to, you can come up with plausible stuff.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: dps on July 05, 2011, 08:39:53 PM
I'm not sure why you'd have doubts about 3.  I don't necessarily know that the info in 3 is 100% accurate, but the general thrust of it seems right.
The date of 1774.  That people in their local assembly decided it would be a good thing to be independant before the Congress did, I think it's probably right.   But as early as 1774, 90 counties declared themselves independant?  It just seem a bit too much, given that as late as 1776, many Americans still hoped to solve their problems with England without going into rebellion.

5 is a matter of interpretation,
that's why I have doubts.  Rejecting the King and embracing a Republic would be somewhat seen as radical in the time.  In fact, just protesting the British parliament was seen as radical, given that the American patriots were branded as traitors by the motherland.

Quoteand 6 is definately technically correct, but it's just semantics, at least now--in casual modern usage,  a "democracy" and a "republic" are the same thing, but they weren't in the 18 century.  Don't see why you'd doubt it, though.
explain how they weren't the same.

Quote7?  Who knows, really?  Who cares?
That's why I have doubts... It's such a trivial fact, that it looks like some Tea Party mumbo jumbo...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.