10 Things You Might Not Know About America's Independence

Started by viper37, July 05, 2011, 06:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/04/10-things-might-not-know-about-our-independence/

I have doubts about #3, 5,6,7 and 8...

According to our Founders, the states are not indivisible, but very much  the opposite. In fact, when ratifying the U.S. Constitution, some  states, such as Virginia among others, specifically declared the right  to secede from the Union should they feel it necessary just as an extra  precaution to make sure that that state right was understood.?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: viper37 on July 05, 2011, 06:27:40 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/04/10-things-might-not-know-about-our-independence/

According to our Founders, the states are not indivisible, but very much  the opposite. In fact, when ratifying the U.S. Constitution, some  states, such as Virginia among others, specifically declared the right  to secede from the Union should they feel it necessary just as an extra  precaution to make sure that that state right was understood.?

If they didn't get it in writing, it doesn't count.  :cool:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 05, 2011, 06:31:04 PM

If they didn't get it in writing, it doesn't count.  :cool:
:yes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

1.  That the American Revolution was an act of villainy without parallel in history.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on July 05, 2011, 06:27:40 PMIn fact, when ratifying the U.S. Constitution, some  states, such as Virginia among others, specifically declared the right  to secede from the Union should they feel it necessary

I don't think that's all that widely unknown. Maybe among Fox readers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 07:12:46 PM
1.  That the American Revolution was an act of villainy without parallel in history.

Sometimes it's good to be the bad guy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Scipio

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you.  I was busy witnessing the power of our fully operational revolution.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Scipio on July 05, 2011, 08:26:54 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you.  I was busy witnessing the power of our fully operational revolution.
Well, it couldn't have been that powerful, seeing as it failed in its war of aggression to the north.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

I'm not sure why you'd have doubts about 3.  I don't necessarily know that the info in 3 is 100% accurate, but the general thrust of it seems right.

5 is a matter of interpretation, and 6 is definately technically correct, but it's just semantics, at least now--in casual modern usage,  a "democracy" and a "republic" are the same thing, but they weren't in the 18 century.  Don't see why you'd doubt it, though.

7?  Who knows, really?  Who cares?

As for 8, well, that's tricky.  I think it's possibly correct as to how the founding fathers saw things in 1776--after all, the text of the Declaration of Independence says, "That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States".  However, the Articles of Confederation stated that the union was to be perpetual, which doesn't sound like it was intened that states could leave if they wanted, and the Articles were ratified just 5 years later (and Congress had been generally adhering to them, in one form or another, since shortly after the Declaration of Independence was adopted).  I'm sure some of the Founders thought of the new nation as a temporary or potentially temporary arrangement at the time, but I'm not sure what the consensus would have been.  And how the surviving Founders would have felt about the issue when the Constituion was ratifies in 1789, or later in their lives, might be a very different story.

grumbler

The article shows that Nicole Swinford is an idiot who loves to state as fact things that are merely opinion.

There are almost certainly no credible historians who still doubt that Thomas Jefferson fathered Sally Henning's children, for instance.  While the DNA only narrows the possibilities to something like five men, only Thomas Jefferson himself had the opportunities. 

And yes, the US is a democracy.  It isn't a pure democracy, true, but democracy means "rule by the people" and the US has that.

The Paul Revere stuff is well-known, as is Adams' role in the Boston Massacre trial.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2011, 08:30:33 PM
Well, it couldn't have been that powerful, seeing as it failed in its war of aggression to the north.
It succeeded quite well in that war. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

That's a bit much. But yes you are right that it was hardly justified.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.