Game of Thrones interactive maps and history from HBO

Started by JonasSalk, July 05, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Ok, I googled it.

5.1. Who tried to kill Bran?

Evidence revealed in A Storm of Swords points squarely at Joffrey as the instigator. At the queen's breakfast he revealed, "... I am no stranger to Valyrian steel." (III: 663) Tyrion, suspicious of that statement, suggests that he will give a Valyrian steel dagger with a dragonbone hilt as a gift to Joffrey. Joffrey's reply is awkward: "Joff gave him a sharp look. 'You ... yes, a dagger to match my sword, good.' He nodded. 'A ... a gold hilt with rubies in it. Dragonbone is too plain.'" (III: 664) Finally, Jaime questions Cersei about the attempt on Bran. She reveals that Robert said in Joffrey's hearing that it'd be a kindness to end the boy's misery, but that they were all too weak. Jaime concludes that Joffrey, eager for his father's attention, may have decided to prove that he was capable of doing it (III: 823).

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2011, 06:38:31 PM
Though I'll understand if you forget, we learn who did it way after it's plot relevant and it's kind of an anticlimactic revelation. we

... have said too much?  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Why are there two Game of Thrones threads?
I didn't even realize I had posted here.

Merge them or kill one.
I want to see people crying!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2011, 10:01:23 PM
Ok, who did it?

The Bran assassination attempt is a McGuffin.  It exists to give a plot reason for Catelyn to leave Winterfell and then later to capture Tyrion and hoof it to the Eyrie.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 08, 2011, 03:50:20 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2011, 10:01:23 PM
Ok, who did it?

The Bran assassination attempt is a McGuffin.  It exists to give a plot reason for Catelyn to leave Winterfell and then later to capture Tyrion and hoof it to the Eyrie.

Interesting in interviews GRRM remarks how originally he had planned to have Cat remain in Winterfell but when writing the chapter he felt it made no sense for her to stay put given what had happened.  Perhaps originally the plan was for the Starks were going to capture Tyrion on his way back from the Wall.

So if it was a McGuffin it was not originally concieved to get Cat to leave Winterfell.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2011, 03:56:09 PM
Interesting in interviews GRRM remarks how originally he had planned to have Cat remain in Winterfell but when writing the chapter he felt it made no sense for her to stay put given what had happened.  Perhaps originally the plan was for the Starks were going to capture Tyrion on his way back from the Wall.

So if it was a McGuffin it was not originally concieved to get Cat to leave Winterfell.

Maybe so but that doesn't make a lot of sense.
If the intent was for her to be a viewpoint character, it isn't very useful for her to stick around in Winterfell.  She does quite a bit of work for Martin -- bringing Littlefinger more into the picture, the "arrest" of Tyrion (which also introduces the Freys and the tavern by the river), introducing the Eyrie and that entire part of the plot, the meeting with Renly, Brienne, etc.  She is the medium for introducing a huge amount of material in terms of characters, places, and plot concepts and the only way for that to happen is for her to be mobile.

But with Bran injured, how to explain what could possibly make her leave?   The only believable thing is an even greater threat to Bran that requires her to leave Winterfell to counter.  Hence the need to concoct an assassination plot which has no other purpose other than as a side point to highten tension between Tyrion and Joffrey (and it certainly wasn't necessary for that end).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

I had thought Littlefinger had confessed that he was the one who gave the idea to Joffrey, but I appear to have misremembered.

Not that I don't think he was the one behind it, mind!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

I'm pretty sure Littlefinger wasn't present at the time.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 08, 2011, 06:12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Littlefinger wasn't present at the time.
If the assassin was sent before the entourage arrived back in King's Landing, then my supposition is obviously in error.  I don't have a good feel for the time between the departure of King Robert (and Joffrey) and the attempt on Bran.  It's been too long since I read that book.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I'm pretty sure it happens whilst they're still en route, Joffrey over hears Robert saying someone should just put the boy out of his misery, takes him super literally and in a sort of misguided effort to please his dad sends the assassin.

Though that particular knife was a bit too convenient to use...could have had something more to it. Been a while since I read it too.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 07:03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it happens whilst they're still en route, Joffrey over hears Robert saying someone should just put the boy out of his misery, takes him super literally and in a sort of misguided effort to please his dad sends the assassin.

Though that particular knife was a bit too convenient to use...could have had something more to it. Been a while since I read it too.
If it was all Joffrey's idea then the knife was inexplicable.  Why would Joffrey give a cutthroat a knife, unless told to do so?

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 07:20:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 07:03:18 PM

If it was all Joffrey's idea then the knife was inexplicable.  Why would Joffrey give a cutthroat a knife, unless told to do so?

Because Joffrey isn't too bright.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 07:20:42 PM
As ways to kill go a knife is rather good.
And I suppose Joff could have spotted this one was particularly good and sharp.

But sitll, it does seem an amazing coincidence that this particular knife with its trouble making history would be the one he would choose. Maybe it was the only Valryian steel knife Robert had...but then if its so valuable its strange they talk of it like a trinket.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Well, the idea that anyone would need to give an assasin a knife is kind of weird. Presumably they would have one of their own - knives not being all that hard to come by...but giving them such a noticeable and valuable knife means it needs some kind of explanation that involves someone doing something either very stupid or somewhat clever. Somewhat clever was eliminated, and that left pretty stupid.

Which leaves Joffrey.

The reality is that the knife was needed to set Catelyn on Tyrion, and I don't think George really thought it through all that much, which is unusual for him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2011, 07:44:07 PM
As ways to kill go a knife is rather good.
And I suppose Joff could have spotted this one was particularly good and sharp.

But sitll, it does seem an amazing coincidence that this particular knife with its trouble making history would be the one he would choose. Maybe it was the only Valryian steel knife Robert had...but then if its so valuable its strange they talk of it like a trinket.
A cutthroat would already have a knife, no?  I mean, how does one become a cutthroat without one?

Bayraktar!