Game of Thrones interactive maps and history from HBO

Started by JonasSalk, July 05, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 07:48:26 PM
Well, the idea that anyone would need to give an assasin a knife is kind of weird. Presumably they would have one of their own - knives not being all that hard to come by...but giving them such a noticeable and valuable knife means it needs some kind of explanation that involves someone doing something either very stupid or somewhat clever. Somewhat clever was eliminated, and that left pretty stupid.

Which leaves Joffrey.

The reality is that the knife was needed to set Catelyn on Tyrion, and I don't think George really thought it through all that much, which is unusual for him.
Unless Littlefinger set it up, as I have noted.  I have no evidence, of course, and if anyone can point out evidence that the assassin must have been launched before Littlefinger could access Joffrey to suggest this, my theory goes up in smoke.

Still, if one looks to see who gained from the attempt on Bran's life, one name stands out.  Qui bono, anyone?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

The attempt to assasinate Bran happened 8 days after the Kings party left Winterfell.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

And the kings party left Winterfell "close on a fortnight" after the fall. So I don't think there would be any way Littlefinger could be involved.

0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Siege on July 07, 2011, 06:17:14 PM
So, who gave the knife to the assassin that instead of putting Bran out of his misery after falling, managed to get himself killed by Summer?

When Catelyn asked Jaime, he said he was sure it was not Tyrion or Cersei.
He also said he remember the knife passing hands from Tyrion to Robert himself, after Jaime was dismounted by Loras at some Tourney.
Does this means Robert send the assassin to kill Bran?????!!!!!!!!
The assumption have always been Robert didn't know about Cerseis infidelity, and he would put her to sword if he knew.

Look at all the characters of the series.  Find one you'd describe as a snake. A guy who's always one step before everyone in his plots, wich is quite something in a kingdom where plotting against each another is the norm.

That's the man you're looking for.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on July 07, 2011, 10:14:50 PM
No, it was Stannis.
funny, I would have tought Little Finger was the instigator of the plot, or the idea behind it.  That's his style.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2011, 11:29:33 PM
No, it was Stannis.
funny, I would have tought Little Finger was the instigator of the plot, or the idea behind it.  That's his style.

Definitely, but it simply doesn't work. He had no way of setting it up, he was back in Kings Landing.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 11:41:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2011, 11:29:33 PM
No, it was Stannis.

Definitely, but it simply doesn't work. He had no way of setting it up, he was back in Kings Landing.

Indeed, which is why it was Stannis.  Or maybe Brienne, I forget.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2011, 09:33:25 PM
A cutthroat would already have a knife, no?  I mean, how does one become a cutthroat without one?

With a sword or a saw perhaps. Though the knife is certainly more convenient.  :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 10:53:44 PM
And the kings party left Winterfell "close on a fortnight" after the fall. So I don't think there would be any way Littlefinger could be involved.
This.  Also, I'm pretty sure the guy wasn't a legit killer either, just one of the king's party that Joffrey hired to do the task.  He might have given the blade because A) The guy didn't have one of his own and B)  Because if it went off successfully, he could have used it as proof that it was him that sent the guy to fulfill his "dad's" comment and look good in his eyes.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

The "Littlefinger" back in King's Landing was just a cunning papier-mache ruse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 10:53:44 PM

I haven't read the books, but is there any particular reason people seem to be considering the assassination attempt as a "spur of the moment" thing rather than a plot laid weeks or months in advance?

Using a distinctive knife normally only makes sense if someone who will be present at the attempt is supposed to believe something (either correctly or incorrectly) due to its' presence. It's a message.

And to me, being several days travel away from the scene of a crime seems like an excellent move for any serious conspirator to make if he's after a long term rather than immediate goal.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Berkut

Why would anyone plan on killing Bran weeks or months in advance?

0 rows returned

Sophie Scholl

Because Little Finger is so damn crafty, he planned for Bran to climb the ruined tower and catch Cersei and Jamie in action and the subsequent tossing out the window of Bran.  He planted the idea for Cersei and Jamie to hide out there to escape Robert's notice via subliminal implanting and then took the form of one of the crows due to his warg nature to push Bran toward that exact window.  He  pulled a Varys and disguised himself so that no one would notice him being present during the entire trip other than briefly appearing as himself to plant the idea in Joffrey's head to hire someone to off Bran with the knife he provided.  He's just that damn good.  Bow before Little Finger.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Why is he called Littlefinger anyway? Is it from how he drinks his wine?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.