Game of Thrones interactive maps and history from HBO

Started by JonasSalk, July 05, 2011, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 09, 2011, 02:29:44 PM
Why is he called Littlefinger anyway? Is it from how he drinks his wine?  :hmm:
His family lands are on the smallest of a bunch of rocks called the fingers.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

Siege

Quote from: Solmyr on July 10, 2011, 05:50:07 AM
And his finger is very little.

My finger is very large.
Can I be called Largefinger?
How about Massivefinger, or Humongousfinger?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 11, 2011, 02:05:48 PM
My finger is very large.

Arsenio maybe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Siege on July 11, 2011, 02:05:48 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on July 10, 2011, 05:50:07 AM
And his finger is very little.

My finger is very large.

You're not from the fingers... so.. No.

You are a lightweight however, so you can be called Lightweight.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 10:53:44 PM
And the kings party left Winterfell "close on a fortnight" after the fall. So I don't think there would be any way Littlefinger could be involved.

Everyone uses Ravens to communicate.  It would have been a simple thing for one of Littlefinger's spies to report back what had happened and for LF to create some scheme.  The knife can be explained by LF knowing it is with the travelling party and he could have planted the suggestion to use it.

Valmy

I figured LF just took the opportunity of Cat's visit to improvise given the information provided and had nothing to do with the original assasination at all.  He is a master at causing chaos for its own sake and then taking advantage of said chaos.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2011, 02:44:23 PM
I figured LF just took the opportunity of Cat's visit to improvise given the information provided and had nothing to do with the original assasination at all.  He is a master at causing chaos for its own sake and then taking advantage of said chaos.

Also plausable.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 10:53:44 PM
And the kings party left Winterfell "close on a fortnight" after the fall. So I don't think there would be any way Littlefinger could be involved.

Everyone uses Ravens to communicate.  It would have been a simple thing for one of Littlefinger's spies to report back what had happened and for LF to create some scheme.  The knife can be explained by LF knowing it is with the travelling party and he could have planted the suggestion to use it.

Yeah, because Ravens are such a secure way of communicating, Littlefinger would come up with this complex plan to take advantage of a situation he knows almost nothing about and try to murder a 7 year old boy. You might as weil just have him randomly pick someone to murder in order to raise some chaos - how is murdering Bran anymore useful than Sansa, Arya, Joffrey, Renly, or some other random noble?

LF being involved simply does not make sense given what we know already. A raven takes time, it isn't an email. It isn't secure. It transmits very little information. It is not plausible to think that LF would come up with such a plan, get it transmitted to someone already ready to engage in some killing, all in a matter of a day or two, and all based on a paucity of information that amounts to nothing more than "Hey, one of the Stark kids fell out of a tower and is likely to die".

Why would Bran being in an accident incent LF to such a course of action, when Bran *not* being in an accident would (presumably) not?

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 02:46:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2011, 02:44:23 PM

Also plausable.

Very plausible, and has the added benefit of being supported by the actual text of the books. At no point has Littlefinger ever hinted or implied (or anyone else) that he has anything to do with the attempt on Bran. To the extent that he is able to exploit that attempt when the opportunity rises he does so - but to suggest that he created the attempt in order to have the chance to exploit it later makes no real sense. How could he have known that Catelyn would come to Kings Landing and ask him about the knife before she did so?

He has neither the means, the opportunity, or even the motive (at least he would have no motive on the basis of what he would have known from a report from Winterfell that one of the Stark kids was in an accident and was likely to die as a result).

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on July 11, 2011, 04:03:10 PM
Yeah, because Ravens are such a secure way of communicating, Littlefinger would come up with this complex plan to take advantage of a situation he knows almost nothing about and try to murder a 7 year old boy.

Your lack of imagination is disturbing as well as your assumption that the Little
finger charcter would be so obtuse as to spell it all out by return raven in a manner easily understood should the Raven be intercepted in some way.

Ravens are the manner in which information is transmitted in the book.  You have to discount that fact in order to make your denial plausable.  I prefer to speculate within the confirms of the book rather than create other realities.

The Brain

Littlefinger probably has his own communication system based on pigeons, which is a lot faster.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 11, 2011, 04:12:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 11, 2011, 04:03:10 PM
Yeah, because Ravens are such a secure way of communicating, Littlefinger would come up with this complex plan to take advantage of a situation he knows almost nothing about and try to murder a 7 year old boy.

Your lack of imagination is disturbing as well as your assumption that the Little
finger charcter would be so obtuse as to spell it all out by return raven in a manner easily understood should the Raven be intercepted in some way.

So he has a means of spelling out what he wants in a manner that is clear enough to trigger an attempt to assassinate a kid on almost no information, but impossible for anyone to figure out who is not the person it is intended for? Is Littlefinger the NSA? He isn't some kind of super-villain.

I think it takes a serious lack of imagination to just assume that anything bad that happens without clear explanation must have been done by Littlefinger.

Ravens are the manner in which information is transmitted in the book. 

One of many means, and a decidedly less than secure means, as is pointed out in the book many, many times. It is the reason people often actually travel about in person in fact.

You have to discount that fact in order to make your denial plausable.

Uhhh, I think I showed a variety of reason why it is not plausible, the raven commo problem just being one of them (and the security issue only part of that problem).
  I prefer to speculate within the confirms of the book rather than create other realities.

Speculating that Littlefinger had anything to do with an assassination attempt on Bran is most certainly NOT within the confines of the reality of the book. There simply is not enough time, not enough information, and no motive for him to try to have Bran killed, as I have graciously explained rather thoroughly. It is an interesting idle speculation that does not hold up to the facts or the world.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2011, 04:14:51 PM
Littlefinger probably has his own communication system based on pigeons, which is a lot faster.

I think for some people Littlefinger has just become the super-villain with almost magical powers to create chaos. Anything bad that happens must be super Littlefinger!

0 rows returned