Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 11:06:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 10:38:04 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 10:33:50 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:02:09 AM
Since when are lawyers forbidden from riding public transit? :unsure:

Who said public transit? Subways are certainly an acceptable mode travel.

What about above ground LRT? :unsure:

I need to know if I need to change my commuting arrangements or not.

That's probably okay. After all there are some decent people who take commuter trains. Really, I think there is something about buses that just beg for the lowest common denominator.

I think buses in Poland (as well as other places) are a bit different than the US. I've taken a bus between two polish cities, and it was more pleasant than the train (and was recommended to me as faster and more comfortable than train). I've had the same experience in some of the better off parts of south america. I think there is a sweet spot of developing countries around 10k gdp per capita where auto transportation is too expensive for many in the general public, but there is still enough money to keep things from getting ghetto.

You have been to Poland? Nice. When was it?

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2011, 11:15:17 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:08:28 AM
I worry about riding the intercity busses in Canada, because of the prevelance of Chinese decapitators.  ;)

I would never, and have never, taken an intercity bus in the US or Canada. I think Poland is a bit different.

Actually, I think these days, taking a plane or a train between cities would be a better option. But buses in cities like Warsaw are quite nice.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 01:51:03 PM

You have been to Poland? Nice. When was it?

I've been a few times. I was in Warsaw for 4 weeks back in March (we were opening an office there).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:07:32 AM
Unless those old folks are working flipping burgers and the like, I doubt their increased participation is seriously affecting the ability of HS kids to get jobs ...  ;)

Indirectly, perhaps?  Take any given profession (lawyer, doctor, whatever), where there is a certain demand for personnel.  If old folks stay in their positions longer, and demand does not go up, then the value of new professionals goes down.  They have to seek employment at a level below what they were expecting and what they had trained for, and being more highly qualified will tend edge out people with bachelor's degrees, who in turn edge out high school grads, who in turn edge out high school students.

I mean, I don't know if this is at all the case, but it does make sense.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Rasputin

Quote from: Stonewall on July 05, 2011, 01:12:32 PM
Economics are part of the equation with less jobs meaning less opportunity for entry level workers.

Also, kids are spoiled brats who expect everything handed to them on a silver platter.  Parents no longer kick little Jimmy to the curb when Jimmy turns 25 and still doesn't have a job. 

Conversely, in poor households, little Jimmy is a three time convicted felon and just got out of jail following his latest driving on a suspended license charge.  His lack of a drivers license and possession of a criminal record prevents him from getting the job peddling a Big Mac so that he then goes out and peddles a little smack instead.  Morever, convict Jimmy don't want to work anyway since work is beneath him and would rather steal copper from your air conditioner than take a job at Popeyes.

IMO.

i miss your cynacism around here

lets grab some beer
Who is John Galt?

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 05, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

What happened?

I really don't think the oldsters are pushing them out of the market like the graph suggests.
I love graphs with no comments or explanations.

What does it represent exactly?  The number of teens working full time?  The proportion of teens working in the global work market?
The graph would seem to support the last theory.  Less children, more elders, hence it shows in the global data that there are more older people working and less young ones because their global numbers have shifted.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2011, 03:13:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2011, 01:11:27 PM
They've gotten so spoiled their parents don't make them work to get pocket money?

I never understood that sentiment. I never worked until I was 22,
that explains a lot.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2011, 03:16:03 PM
What does it represent exactly?  The number of teens working full time?
It does say "participation rate".  Labor participation rate is the percentage of teens out of the whole teen population that are either employed, or want to be employed.  Part time employment counts as employment.
QuoteThe proportion of teens working in the global work market?
The source is BLS, so it has be American statistics.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 02:09:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 11:07:32 AM
Unless those old folks are working flipping burgers and the like, I doubt their increased participation is seriously affecting the ability of HS kids to get jobs ...  ;)

Indirectly, perhaps?  Take any given profession (lawyer, doctor, whatever), where there is a certain demand for personnel.  If old folks stay in their positions longer, and demand does not go up, then the value of new professionals goes down.  They have to seek employment at a level below what they were expecting and what they had trained for, and being more highly qualified will tend edge out people with bachelor's degrees, who in turn edge out high school grads, who in turn edge out high school students.

I mean, I don't know if this is at all the case, but it does make sense.

I find it difficult to believe that the 'trickle-down' effect of seniors not retiring impacts the burger-flipping-type job market that much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

i have no idea if Top level seniors retiring or not effects anything, but now a days i see a lot of old people in jobs that used to the domain of teens. McJobs, cashiers, walmart, etc. now i don't know if it's becasue kids aren't applying so the geezers are getting them, or the kids can't get them because the geezers get there first.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on July 06, 2011, 03:16:03 PM

I love graphs with no comments or explanations.

What does it represent exactly?  The number of teens working full time?  The proportion of teens working in the global work market?
The graph would seem to support the last theory.  Less children, more elders, hence it shows in the global data that there are more older people working and less young ones because their global numbers have shifted.
I just noticed in your reposting of that graph that the two lines are, in fact, based on unrelated scales with different ratios.  The superimposition of them isn't an honest one.  Boooo!  :thumbsdown:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 03:33:58 PM
I find it difficult to believe that the 'trickle-down' effect of seniors not retiring impacts the burger-flipping-type job market that much.

I'm not convinced either, but I can see how in theory it sort of makes sense.

64 year old CEO won't retire.
50 year old VP doesn't get promoted
35 year old middle management doesn't get to rise to VP
25 year old pencil pusher doesn't rise up the ladder

Company doesn't hire entry levels

College kid remains at McDonalds.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2011, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2011, 03:33:58 PM

I'm not convinced either, but I can see how in theory it sort of makes sense.

64 year old CEO won't retire.
50 year old VP doesn't get promoted
35 year old middle management doesn't get to rise to VP
25 year old pencil pusher doesn't rise up the ladder

Company doesn't hire entry levels

College kid remains at McDonalds.  :(

Except that world doesnt work in lock step like that.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 06, 2011, 06:48:49 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2011, 12:17:11 PM
So is David Gilmour, of Pink Floyd.

So was Randy Rhoads. :contract:

:P

I think you're mistaken.  :sleep:

Gilmour is a hobbyist. Dickinson is a currently working professional pilot when he's not recording/touring. So is Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche, but he does it exclusively as his only job.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers