Why did teenagers stop getting jobs?

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 05, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 10:33:50 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:02:09 AM
Since when are lawyers forbidden from riding public transit? :unsure:

Who said public transit? Subways are certainly an acceptable mode travel.

What about above ground LRT? :unsure:

I need to know if I need to change my commuting arrangements or not.

That's probably okay. After all there are some decent people who take commuter trains. Really, I think there is something about buses that just beg for the lowest common denominator.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 07:34:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 01:32:20 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 10:44:08 PM
I think it is good to experience some of what the working class goes through, even if briefly.
I experience that when I have to take a bus. That's more than enough. Especially in summer.  :yucky:

Eww, there are times when one must take a bus? :x

:lol:

Garby don't ever change, or at least remember to upgrade you airs and graces later in life.

A for instance, what about if the bus happens to be the quickest and most convienient form of transport ? :gasp:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2011, 10:38:40 AM

Garby don't ever change, or at least remember to upgrade you airs and graces later in life.

A for instance, what about if the bus happens to be the quickest and most convienient form of transport ? :gasp:

Then you should realize that something is wrong in your life. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 01:29:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 05, 2011, 05:37:33 PMI worked at McDonalds when I was 17 and I closed all the time.

But that does not exactly refute the theory that people who work as teenagers end up having shitty jobs and are idiots, does it?
:rolleyes:
Teaching is eminently respectable, something that can not be said for being a Polish lawyer.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 10:38:04 AM

That's probably okay. After all there are some decent people who take commuter trains. Really, I think there is something about buses that just beg for the lowest common denominator.

Thank goodness my commuting plans have the garbon seal of approval. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Who said anything about lawyers being forbidden to ride public transport? :huh: Neil said Marti was poor. I said he couldn't be a lawyer, then. :contract:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Yep.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2011, 03:11:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2011, 04:37:41 PM
And what about the other part of the graph? Why are people who should be retired still working?

Why should people retire?

Because if they don't you end up in a disfunctional gerontocracy, with old people clinging to the top jobs in your society, holding back the generational advancement and getting young people squeezed out of their careers. Some particular cases can be understood, but eventually the old have to get out of the picture and make room for the young.

How is it that one day a person is a productive member of the workforce and then the next day when they have a birthday and reach some magical age they suddenly are "clinging" to a job.  Also, what makes you assume that older workers have all the "top jobs".

Also, there appears to be no evidence for the contention that older people staying in the job market squeezes anyone out of "their careers".  First that assumes that someone has a career they have not yet entered to which they have some kind of inalienable claim.  Second one of the Scandi countries used your theory as the reason for introducting early retirement packages to free up jobs for younger workers so they in fact would not be "squeezed out".  The early retirement packages cost a lot of money and what did the goverment get in return?  Higher unemployment in the younger work force.

One of the reasons economists give for this is that if you remove older workers from the work force you also remove the extra spending their employment would have supported.  The "squeezed out" model ignores the fact that economies benefit if more people are working - not less.

Seems to me you are engaging in some intellectual laziness:P

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 06, 2011, 10:50:26 AM

Yep.

I rode the bus for years.  I only stopped because I became a chauffeur taking my boys to their pre-school activities and then picking them up from the post school activities.

Far from being the lowest common denominator I prefered to think of my bus driver, who I got to know quite well, as my semi private driver... :D

mongers

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2011, 10:38:40 AM

Then you should realize that something is wrong in your life. :(

I just prefer taking a coach/bus into central London, door to door in 2hrs, rather than taking a car and either 'abandoning' it in the suburbs or trying to find a parking place in the centre of town, not a fun game in my experience.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Warsaw is pretty backward in this respect - we have good subway but it is just one line. While it goes along the main thoroughware, if you want to get sideways, you need to take a bus or a tram.

Martinus

I think this is a US issue (I was told by people who went there that buses are extremely crappy there).

alfred russel

I think buses in Poland (as well as other places) are a bit different than the US. I've taken a bus between two polish cities, and it was more pleasant than the train (and was recommended to me as faster and more comfortable than train). I've had the same experience in some of the better off parts of south america. I think there is a sweet spot of developing countries around 10k gdp per capita where auto transportation is too expensive for many in the general public, but there is still enough money to keep things from getting ghetto.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Unless those old folks are working flipping burgers and the like, I doubt their increased participation is seriously affecting the ability of HS kids to get jobs ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

I worry about riding the intercity busses in Canada, because of the prevelance of Chinese decapitators.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius