And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did teenagers stop getting jobs?

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 05, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 05, 2011, 05:43:19 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2011, 04:37:41 PM

As for teenage jobs, there's not much that I can say, it's something that it's not done at all over here in the way that you describe it

What do you do instead? Does nobody in Spain work while at university? That's how I avoided racking up insane debt.

University is affordable over here, you don't need to get into debt to get a degree.  :P

Seriously speaking, although price of education is also a factor, college age is a different thing, I was thinking more about high school kids. Working while in college is not unheard of over here, even if not as common as it seems to be in the US, and it is predominantly the domain of people who don't come from a well off background and/or are studying in a different city than their hometown and need to cover rent and expenses. Then again it's not exactly the most desireable outcome, as employers aren't exactly willing to make acomodations for workers who are still studying and these people will normally be quite disadvantaged in comparison with their non working classmates.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2011, 03:17:00 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2011, 03:11:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2011, 04:37:41 PM
And what about the other part of the graph? Why are people who should be retired still working?

Why should people retire?

Because if they don't you end up in a disfunctional gerontocracy, with old people clinging to the top jobs in your society, holding back the generational advancement and getting young people squeezed out of their careers. Some particular cases can be understood, but eventually the old have to get out of the picture and make room for the young.

Should they have retired while still able to work in the old days too or is today a special case?

I wouldn't say it is a "special case" but the fact of increasing longevity coupled with increasing work efficiency makes this problem worse and worse.

Monoriu

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2011, 03:25:09 AM

University is affordable over here, you don't need to get into debt to get a degree.  :P

Seriously speaking, although price of education is also a factor, college age is a different thing, I was thinking more about high school kids. Working while in college is not unheard of over here, even if not as common as it seems to be in the US, and it is predominantly the domain of people who don't come from a well off background and/or are studying in a different city than their hometown and need to cover rent and expenses. Then again it's not exactly the most desireable outcome, as employers aren't exactly willing to make acomodations for workers who are still studying and these people will normally be quite disadvantaged in comparison with their non working classmates.

University is expensive in HK too.  But here, it is widely considered a parental responsibility to cover all expenses. 

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 06, 2011, 01:32:20 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2011, 10:44:08 PM
I think it is good to experience some of what the working class goes through, even if briefly.
I experience that when I have to take a bus. That's more than enough. Especially in summer.  :yucky:

Eww, there are times when one must take a bus? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 07:34:20 AM
I think it is good to experience some of what the working class goes through, even if briefly.
I experience that when I have to take a bus. That's more than enough. Especially in summer.  :yucky:
Martinus is poor.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on July 06, 2011, 08:11:53 AM
Martinus is poor.

He's not really a lawyer is he?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2011, 08:27:55 AM
Martinus is poor.

He's a janitor at a law office.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2011, 08:27:55 AM
Martinus is poor.

Since when are lawyers forbidden from riding public transit? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 03:55:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 03:53:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2011, 03:51:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2011, 03:49:18 PM
Nepotism is against the law?

That was the effective ruling of the case yes.

Huh.

You are going to have to learn to communicate a bit better.  Perhaps you should get a job before attempting the practice of law.

It was just a question, and I was surprised by the answer. :huh:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

You assume that Poland even has cars.  The first time they ever even saw an internal combustion engine was in 1939.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Also, at least for me the time I spent in college was quite lazy. Very little studying and certainly coursework wasn't equivalent to a full time job. I spent 10-15 hours a week working, and probably not much more than that on schoolwork excluding finals and midterm weeks. Very few put in 40 hours a week just on schoolwork, and from what I understand that hasn't changed.

Roughly, yeah, this was my experience, too.  When I was in college, 12 hours or more a semester was considered a full course load, and you had to get special permission to take more than 21 hours.  18 was typical for me, but lots of people just took 12 hours a semester and took 5 years instead of 4 to complete their degrees.  Of course, that's just actual classroom time;  it doesn't include study time or time spent working on assignments, but really even that load was pretty light. 

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2011, 10:13:04 AM
You assume that Poland even has cars.  The first time they ever even saw an internal combustion engine was in 1939.
:face:

DGuller

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2011, 10:17:26 AM
Also, at least for me the time I spent in college was quite lazy. Very little studying and certainly coursework wasn't equivalent to a full time job. I spent 10-15 hours a week working, and probably not much more than that on schoolwork excluding finals and midterm weeks. Very few put in 40 hours a week just on schoolwork, and from what I understand that hasn't changed.

Roughly, yeah, this was my experience, too.  When I was in college, 12 hours or more a semester was considered a full course load, and you had to get special permission to take more than 21 hours.  18 was typical for me, but lots of people just took 12 hours a semester and took 5 years instead of 4 to complete their degrees.  Of course, that's just actual classroom time;  it doesn't include study time or time spent working on assignments, but really even that load was pretty light.
That wasn't my college experience.  During the semester, I had a shitload of work to do.  Maybe it's just a nature of engineering colleges.  I did also work, but I worked as a TA, so that was neither a shit work, nor a menial one.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:02:09 AM

Who said public transit? Subways are certainly an acceptable mode travel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2011, 10:33:50 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2011, 10:02:09 AM

Who said public transit? Subways are certainly an acceptable mode travel.

What about above ground LRT? :unsure:

I need to know if I need to change my commuting arrangements or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.